Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Atkins – what no carrots??? Top Tips pls!

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2004, 11:01 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atkins – what no carrots??? Top Tips pls!

This week I have mostly been eating eggs, beef, onions & broccoli! (Phew!!!)

Now I don’t have time to read through the Atkins book, but was horrified to be told by a colleague (who’s on it) that I cant have carrots or tomatoes – these two being just about the only two things I don’t whip out of a sandwich and stamp on!

For a man that would rather chuck an asparagus spear than eat it, what would be a few tips to help me along and lose this stone, sharpish (and so get back on the red & oven chips before I die of a broken heart )

Cheers

D
Old 28 April 2004, 11:06 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

bollocks,of course you can have Tomatoes
Old 28 April 2004, 11:13 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Really?? I thought they were high in natural sugars, and hence carbs!

(Not that I'm on the Atkins diet! )
Old 28 April 2004, 11:58 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

high?! like BonBons?

its all relative,if you think Toms are high in carbs then maybe,just maybe,you are getting a bit fanatical about it all

I lost 4 stone eating Toms everyday,on Atkins,but everyones metabolism is different
Old 28 April 2004, 12:05 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

You can have cooked tomatoes as it breaks down the sugars.
When I was doing it, I had carrots as a snack, didn't seem to harm my weightloss
Old 28 April 2004, 12:10 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Tell me about it

Wifey is still on the "tough" part of it after 2 months, not 2 weeks. She has lost as much as 1 stone, but atm has gone back up to about 10 lbs only. One small lapse appears to put a pound back on. So she is a bit miserable with it (but looks a lot better). She wants to lose only a further 10 lbs but this is proving very hard.
Old 28 April 2004, 12:12 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

there is a "stall" in everyones diet afaik,if she keeps it up she will eventually have another good week
Old 28 April 2004, 04:57 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

So guys is a nice big meaty hot herby bolognese with fresh tommy tomatoes back on the cards for me then??? [Ohh God! I'm even giving tomatoes NAMES ]
Old 28 April 2004, 05:03 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Try things like grilled sirloin steak with mushrooms fried in Lurpak butter, with scrambled egg and crispy lettuce.

Don't touch pasta, spaghetti, any flour based product. I have the book in PDF format if anyone wants it.
Old 28 April 2004, 09:05 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To lose weight, sit on a George Foreman Grill, its a 'Lean Mean Fat Reducing Ma-chine'.
Smarts a bit afterwards though
Old 28 April 2004, 10:10 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

if you're going to go on this diet, read the book... the ENTIRE book.

with regards to carb veggies... they may well kick you out of ketosis, eliminating the point of the diet.

sure, if you're not in keto, you'll still lose weight... BUT it will be lean mass also when cutting carbs that much.

get some ketosticks and experiment. see how many carbs you can handle without getting kicked out of ketosis. for some, they could eat a ton of tomatos and would still be in ketosis. for others, one single tomato could kick you out, thus rendering the diet about as effective in terms of weight loss as cutting off one of your arms (in other words, both lose weight, but neither would lose fat).

losing x stone in x months is all very well, but it ONLY matters how much of that is pure fat.
Old 29 April 2004, 01:56 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

osing x stone in x months is all very well, but it ONLY matters how much of that is pure fat.
lol,sorry,but you have to laugh at that.I have a mental image of someone losing 4 stone and its all come off their head.They have a huge beer gut but a head the size of a tennis ball.I don't think you really mean that do you?
Old 29 April 2004, 03:23 AM
trance
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb Diets???

Weight can also be lost from muscle breakdown and water loss. I don't know why people don't realise that diets don't work. You have to change your eating habbits for good. The simple matter is, diets are a short term solution to a long term problem, (or a possible long term problem). You have to eat more meals per day 5-6, decreasing the size of the portions obviously. Exercise more, whether it be in the gym, sport, more stairs at work, whatever. Exercising increases the metabolism and helps you burn more fat. I can't believe eating lots of saturated fat can be good for you.

Remember reading about a survey carried out on people who had been dieting on and off for years. The survey compared dieters and people who had a good healthy diet. The survey discovered that the people who had been on and off diets had weaker hearts!!. I.e the depravation of certain foods and not a balanced intake had weakened their hearts. Educate yourself on the right foods to eat, not all good foods are bad for you!!.
Old 29 April 2004, 07:54 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dba
lol,sorry,but you have to laugh at that.I have a mental image of someone losing 4 stone and its all come off their head.They have a huge beer gut but a head the size of a tennis ball.I don't think you really mean that do you?
no, it could come off as lean mass and water.

you see bodybuilders weighing 25 stone + with not an ounce of fat on them. they have lean mass.

you see some people walking around 12 stone, but flabby with a stack of fat on them.

the former has lean mass and almost no bodyfat. the latter has little lean mass and heaps of fat. there is a MAJOR difference, and their heads are about the same size

suppose you weigh 18 stone at 15% bodyfat. what's the point in losing weight and becoming 14 stone also at 15% bodyfat (or HIGHER if you've lost proportionally more lean mass than you have fat)?! all you end up is a fatter, flabbier, but much smaller and more scaled down version of yourself.

weight loss does NOT equal fat loss (which is where 90% of dieters go wrong). they are VERY different things, and i've not heard of ANYONE desiring to lose anything BUT fat.
Old 29 April 2004, 08:11 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Isnt the Atkins diet just another version of the Hay diet from the 1930's.

Chip.
Old 29 April 2004, 10:16 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

ok,Milo,point taken

but most people arent body builders and a normal fat bloke would lose only about 6 to 10 lbs of water,then its blubber interesting stuff though.I have a mate who is a bloater,18 stone,loves his beer,but he is fit as a fiddle and can do a sub 4 hr London marathon,although he does look nearly dead afterwards
Old 29 April 2004, 02:28 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

>>Just tested<< I’m in MEDIUM ketosis – thanks for mentioning the test strips here, which I got lunchtime. Great news!

I still just need to know quickly know if onions are OK and if I can eat citrus fruit and red peppers? Is yogurt bad – can I cook a Korma? Also how bad is half a bottle of red, on holiday, this weekend, just the once??? Pretty please

I know I SHOULD read the book (Lonely Planet Cuba has priority though ) , but I just want to minimise the carbs and hit ketosis for a month. Seems you have to hit it PROPERLY from what you say or I’ll be in the madness of losing muscle/lean mass.

Despite the bizarre cholesterol results of Atkinsers actually going down (viz the BBC2 doc) on the diet, I’m not doing a high fat diet. It’s lean meat and veg; grilled bacon – I’m eating healthy, but minus the carbs/starch/sugar.

Finally I want to play baminton on Mon – will I have the energy, cos running up the stairs now tires me!!

Thank you for being my dieticians and advisors

D

(5Lb down already )
Old 29 April 2004, 02:35 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he is fit as a fiddle and can do a sub 4 hr London marathon
that's only a nice steady jog. If he gets sub 3hr, then that's fit

It's probably not doing his joints any good (or his heart) if he's carrying all that weight. No wonder he looks almost dead ......... he's probably closer to it that he realises

Stefan
Old 29 April 2004, 02:37 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

yes,no,yes,yes,yes,very,no,no,no,no,no because you are too fat
Old 29 April 2004, 03:45 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Ever considered motivational speaking dBa If ye can't be arsed, dont even bother m8 and just pass the pies!
Old 29 April 2004, 06:26 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dba
but most people arent body builders and a normal fat bloke would lose only about 6 to 10 lbs of water,then its blubber
not usually. sure everyone's body is different, but unless you're taking in ALL the essential amino acids every few hours, your body WILL break down muscle. it HAS to.. it has no choice. it needs the amino acids and cannot make them internally. thus, if you're not taking them in, you'll lose muscle.. albeit perhaps in addition to fat loss.. but you'll still lose muscle.

how else do you explain the fact that when a fat bloke of (say) 200lbs at 20% bodyfat loses 20lbs via a crap diet, he does NOT end up 180lbs at 10% bodyfat (which WOULD happen if he only lost fat), but instead he ends up at 180lbs at around 18% bodyfat (i.e a smaller size trousers, but also smaller arms, shoulders etc etc).
Old 29 April 2004, 06:48 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
I still just need to know quickly know if onions are OK and if I can eat citrus fruit and red peppers? Is yogurt bad – can I cook a Korma? Also how bad is half a bottle of red, on holiday, this weekend, just the once??? Pretty please
again it depends on your own goals. only you can decide that.

frankly for me, i'd rather stab myself in the nuts than eat processed food or consume alcohol, so i would avoid everything you've suggested, but everyone has different goals.

whether it kicks you out of ketosis is dependent on how efficient your body is at maintaining keto. for some it's < 10g carbs a day. others can go up to 50g a day and be taking in plenty of foods that typically kick others out.

specifically for the items you've suggested:
onions - are probably ok cos they don't contain much
fruits - all bad as they have heaps of carbs. take in vitamin tablets instead.
red peppers - as onions
yogurt - this is basically pure sugar and will almost guarantee to kick you out of keto
korma - lots of sugar too as above

I know I SHOULD read the book (Lonely Planet Cuba has priority though ) , but I just want to minimise the carbs and hit ketosis for a month. Seems you have to hit it PROPERLY from what you say or I’ll be in the madness of losing muscle/lean mass.
i still maintain that u should carb-up at LEAST every 2 weeks or you WILL lose lean mass.

Despite the bizarre cholesterol results of Atkinsers actually going down (viz the BBC2 doc) on the diet, I’m not doing a high fat diet. It’s lean meat and veg; grilled bacon – I’m eating healthy, but minus the carbs/starch/sugar.
now THAT'S crazy. your body needs fuel in the form of calories. you can give it carbs, fat or protein. you do NOT want to give it protein as it's the least efficient at being turned into fuel. furthermore, teaching your body how to burn protein is a SURE fire way for your body to become an expert at turning protein into fuel - and will start on your muscles instead you need to fuel your body EITHER with carbs OR fats. NOBODY says they have to be "bad" fats if you go down the ketogenic route. you can happily fuel your body on good fats - omega 3's - like oily fish (salmon) or flaxseed oil, or stir-frying your chicken in olive oil. but eating ONLY protein is foolish and will cause muscle depletion AND a loss of energy (for the reasons given above of protein being inefficient as body fuel...

Finally I want to play baminton on Mon – will I have the energy, cos running up the stairs now tires me!!
see above
Old 30 April 2004, 12:31 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

well Diesel,you did ask.................. and because i forgot the smiley it came across all wrong

Last edited by dba; 30 April 2004 at 12:39 AM.
Old 30 April 2004, 12:12 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Milo fab advice m8 - much appreciated. Food for thought There will be an olive oily dressing on my salad today for sure!!

Cheers

D
Old 30 April 2004, 12:36 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by milo
now THAT'S crazy. your body needs fuel in the form of calories. you can give it carbs, fat or protein. you do NOT want to give it protein as it's the least efficient at being turned into fuel.
just to clarify one thing there.. it SHOULD say "you do NOT want to give it protein **AS FUEL** as it's the least....".

clearly you DO want to consume complete proteins every 2-3 hours, but for the reason that your body needs the amino acids provided. i'm saying DON'T use protein as your body's primary fuel source.