Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

need advice selling a car.

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2004, 12:49 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice selling a car.

I guess there a lot of people here that work in the motor trade, and a lot of people have expereince selling cars personally, so im looking for some constructive criticism and advice.

Ive had a 306 xsi up for sale for about 3 weeks now. Its a nice car and its a bit disheartening but im having real trouble selling it.

the advert is here on the PSOOC site.

http://209.151.80.232/psc/vbb/showth...499#post171499

Its been in the autotrader, Loot, free ads, and local paper. Parkers guide price was £4900 for a private sale, originally priced at £4650 and has been lowered to £4250, Had a couple of people interested all wanted to sell their cars before looking at any others. not one person round to see the car.

Is the parkers price wrong ?. is it just the current market ?. Its really disheartening as its a cracking car and I still really like it, but due the the scooby and a new audi I cant keep it. Im thinking of lowering the price again and going for the local paper and free-ads as autotrader just provided canvessers, any other suggestions ?

cheers

Peter
Old 29 April 2004, 12:56 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

price guides put my car at about 7k ended up getting 5k for it.

The main problem I found is when you over price it no one calls, when you get it right people then want stuipd money off. Mine went up for 6.5 then 5.7. Had offers of 4.6 to 4.8 took 5k so that was 700 quid off the asking price which was already low to get a quick sale.
Old 29 April 2004, 01:00 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Bearing in mind theres been newer models released since the 306 this is probably contibuting towards not selling it. Its all down to price .... Hazarding a guess, some people will pay a little bit more for a lesser spec 307 as its the newer model and newer car.

If it was diesel then you'd have sold it by now! I'd forget Parkers guide as no self respecting trader uses them. Parkers is merely a guide for Joe public (like Glasses, Cap, etc) but it seems there not too accurate IMO. I'd imagine if you put it up for £3950 it would stand a better chance of selling ... A bit of a pill to swallow I know, but it will

1. Save paying for more adverts,

2. Waiting around to sell it

3. Dealing with timewasters, canvassers, etc

It looks a nice car in the pics

Nath
Old 29 April 2004, 01:29 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

how does your car compare with the other cars similar spec on autotrader? thats how u wanna price the car, forget valuations for it. try driving into garages in town (not main dealers) and tell them u want cash for the car and see what they offer you, you'll be suprised I know a few people in town who get rid of their cars quickly and easily for cash, work out what a garage would sell your car on the forecourt for and lower it 1k and you should get that price for it Id guess
Old 29 April 2004, 01:31 PM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

the first offer you get take it

forget penny pinching

ive lost too many sales through 'not budging' on the price

parkers well over price what cars are worth

between 3-4k is what you should get
Old 29 April 2004, 01:38 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

yeah I looked on autotraer before i placed the advert, at £4650 there were over cars all older at the same price, so figured it was about right.

Had an offer of £3900 the first day of the advert should of taken it :-(.
Old 29 April 2004, 01:46 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watch out for ***** (see my thread in non scooby)
Old 29 April 2004, 02:08 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Just look at prices at similar cars already for sale and place accordingly. simple. it's basically what buyers do (but the other way round if you get my meaning )
Old 29 April 2004, 10:34 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Of course luck is the biggest factor. Somene after your spec in your area.

In my example the lowest offer was in fact a dealer, he called me and looked at the car then said he was a dealer. At 4.6k I wasn't interested. Mainly from pride I knew if he gave me that then it was worth at least a grand more. In fact he said he would put it up at 6.5k! (but with a few bits doing). As it was by the time you consider it sat around for a few weeks more and more advertising I worked out no better taking the 5k.

And remember once it's sold, then everyone starts to call about it!!!
Old 29 April 2004, 10:49 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to sell my new shape Mondeo for 5 grand to stop the messers, only done 44,000 so 4250 for a 306 sounds a bit expensive, its a nice car but its a bit neither one thing nor the other, the enthusiasts want a Rallye or GT6 and your average punter isnt that bothered about paying insurance/petrol on a 2 litre when a 1.4 will do what they want a lot cheaper. Basically unless its omething people are clamouring for (fckin Minis, Boxsters and other 'image' stuff) it has to be cheap to sell.
Old 29 April 2004, 11:34 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

In my experience

For some reason most buyers really want to think they've got a bargain.

If the offer of 3900 went in and you said no way - fullstop, then unless you knew they really wanted it then they won't offer higher - they save face and walk away, so you need to keep the end game open ended. If however they still need convincing and you'd actually accept 4200 - don't tell them that! Tell them the lowest you'd be prepared to go to is 4300. And don't ramble about the reasons why, just stop talking as soon as you say the figure and look at them in a 'conversation is passed to you' friendly manner. They are obliged to talk. Then of course they are the best bargainer ever when they finally knock you down to 4200. Also let them think you're honest but a bit thick when it comes to selling cars. (I'm honest anyway, honest )

Oh and beforehand when confirming the time of viewing, always say that the time is handy since someone else is coming over 3 hours later. Believe me its a killer card if they are in 2 minds, but jog their memory in the initial part of the viewing and not the end game.

BTW I've only done my own private sales, I'm no expert but it seems to work for me. (or do my immaculately presented and serviced cars sell themselves )

Good luck with the sale
Old 30 April 2004, 07:55 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i had to drop thounads on my last sale...and then dropped that low price o the haggling buyer.

just drop the price and sell it. if i had sold mine to some of the early offers i turned down (which were above the final pric i took) i would have saved on 3 months insurance, petrol, adverts costs, etc, etc
Old 30 April 2004, 12:27 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

fyi:

Retail: £4,450
Private Good: £3,770
Part Exchange: £3,340

Trade: £3,170
Private Average: £3,170
Private Poor: £2,390

I just got these from http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/index.js...page=used_cars

Nath
Old 30 April 2004, 12:43 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

If you want to get rid of the car then look at similar ages/condition/mileage examples and then advertise lower, that way you will be the one with the most eye-catching price.

You'll often see cars in Autotrader week after week as the seller has put a high/unrealistic price on their car.

Secondly, a big thing on SN, people really want to see a picture of the car if it is a long distance away, this helps to persuade them to see it in the metal.

"Parkers is merely a guide for Joe public (like Glasses, Cap, etc)" Glasses & Cap are trade only publications.