America's sanatized war - hide the coffins

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2004, 10:58 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default America's sanatized war - hide the coffins

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3652171.stm

So they introduced a rule to ban the media from reporting the return of war dead in 1991!?!

For a country which prides itself on freedom of information, certainly sounds like a contradiction.

The US goverment seems to make war more & more like a video game every day.
Old 23 April 2004, 11:20 PM
ali66
Scooby Regular

It's sad that I'm not in the least bit suprised
Old 24 April 2004, 12:03 AM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

You think our country wouldn't do the same if we shipped home that many bodies?
Old 24 April 2004, 12:52 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think it is correct for them to ban the pictures,i mean it is people's loved ones we are talking about here,and it will only end up in political arguments,these guys gave their lives for their country.(right or wrong ppl will argue, but that shouldn't matter)let their family mourn without wondering if their family member is in the box.
and for others to make politacal statements for their own gain is wrong IMHO.And what good does it do ,NOTHING.No one is really want to see the pictures of Diana released and their is a stink about SHOWING them.you can't win.

Mac.
Old 24 April 2004, 03:37 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

imlach,

I normally agree with you, but in this instance I have to disagree.

I served in Iraq last year during the war, and I know for a fact that my loved ones would not have wanted my coffin (if I'd been killed) displayed like some sort of macabre horror story.

The needs of the relatives (who've already suffered enough), far outway the needs of the sensationalist gutter press.
Old 24 April 2004, 08:26 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

But CBS show pictures of Diana in the car. I can't work that out, thats hipocracy to me.

Persoanlly I don't care if they show them. I can switch channels if I don't like it, its called self censorship.

AllanB
Old 24 April 2004, 10:02 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Let me clarify my view. I would not want anyone to suffer any undue stress or heartache by showing bodies. In fact, I would hope that no-one would ever show any identifiable bodies. However, I think perhaps some images may help to reinforce the idea that war is not a video game like I begin to think some Americans do.

My point really is that I think the agenda of the US goverment is not to prevent stress and heartache to the relatives, but MORE to do with not wanting the public in general to know that many people are dying in the war - I'm sure it is trying to prevent public opinion turning like it did for Vietnam.
Old 24 April 2004, 12:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I agree totally with Imlach on this one. There is no way individual pictures of identifiable soldiers should be shown, but the fact of the large casualties being suffered should not be hidden from the US public for the Administration's convenience.

Les
Old 24 April 2004, 02:38 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

imlach, I now find myself in agreement with you.
Old 24 April 2004, 04:21 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Don't you think that American news stations don't show the casualty numbers or something,of course they do!!,and to compare it to Vietnam where there was 100's dying every day and the press were not allowed access is totally different IMHO.
I agree with everyone being given the right to know what is going on,but there is some things that I PERSONALLY would not like to watch.
eg HOSTAGES BEING PARADED ON T.V FOR THE TV CHANNELS TO GET A SCOOP AND FOR POLITICAL BARGAINING.(I realise that most of comes from AL Jasira,but no one forces European countries to show it)
It will do no-one any good as the coalition will not give in to any demands.Therefore doing the families and friends of not only them,but of the others who have loved ones over there no good at all.

Mac.
Old 24 April 2004, 04:45 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

There's a lot of people in the US military with long memories. The pictures of returning coffins during the Vietnam War had a huge influence on public opinion in the States. Once again, they are involved in an increasingly unpopular war and find themselves starting to lose the PR battle. The sentiments about protecting the families of those killed is very honourable, however, I suspect the real reason is a bit more political.

Chris
Old 24 April 2004, 04:46 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

The comparison with Vietnam is VERY relevent. The numbers involved may not be the same, but the effect is.

Chris
Old 24 April 2004, 08:05 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down Wool. Eyes. Bring it on Americans...

I find this ridiculous. Bush manages to get away with images of 9/11 during his party political broadcasts (ie. use them for personal political gain) and yet these 'coffin pictures' are against the constitution because it may 'upset relatives.'

I'm not arguing one way or the other over this ruling, and I certainly don't want to see them myself, but this does seem hugely hippocrital to say the least.

Joolz
Old 25 April 2004, 03:38 AM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

Originally Posted by jbryant
I find this ridiculous. Bush manages to get away with images of 9/11 during his party political broadcasts (ie. use them for personal political gain) and yet these 'coffin pictures' are against the constitution because it may 'upset relatives.'

I'm not arguing one way or the other over this ruling, and I certainly don't want to see them myself, but this does seem hugely hippocrital to say the least.

Joolz

Oh i think i hear´d the hammer hit the preverbial nail there.

Well stated that man