Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Following on from the sick bitch thread

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2004, 10:42 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Following on from the sick bitch thread

Should there be a death penalty for murder and other such intentional severe harm crimes?
Old 23 April 2004, 10:44 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Should there be a death penalty for murder and other such intentional severe harm crimes?
for stuff like this? nah too quick, throw em out on the street and let the public deal with em.
Old 23 April 2004, 11:31 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

With reference the woman who was mentally ill - no. Part of the point of punishment is that the person being punished realises that they have done wrong and are being punished for it and they do not like the punishment. No point in punishing someone who doesn't realise what they are being punished for.

Otherwise, for the mentally sane...
Old 23 April 2004, 11:51 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

If this is about the woman who put the baby in the oven, then yes burn the B**ch
Old 23 April 2004, 11:58 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobchrissy
If this is about the woman who put the baby in the oven, then yes burn the B**ch
Nothing like trial by Scoobynet jury is there, especially when all those on Scoobynet have all the facts of the case to hand

Not trying to defend her, but we're really into a moral discussion here of whether there is ANY defence for murder, whether severely mentally ill or not.

Let's pose a question. Bizzare, but feasible. If your partner poisioned you with some mind-altering chemical which made you kill your own child, would you feel it is right that YOU should be sentenced to death for that killing?
Old 24 April 2004, 12:28 AM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

Huntly , he should die too, IMHO
Old 24 April 2004, 12:31 AM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I wasnt referring to her general by the way. She just got me thinking.
Old 24 April 2004, 12:40 AM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

sorry m8!!!
Old 24 April 2004, 03:28 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I was all for the death penalty until I watched a program about a chap on death row. This guy had always vehemently protested his innocence, and most people around him also thought he was innocent, including the death row guards. Even the Governor of death row thought he was innocent. He was put to death anyway, after the final appeal etc had failed. Weeks after his death the real culprit was found. I can only guess how bad the people responsible for denying his stay of execuction felt.

That said, in the case of someone who has committed a heinous crime and is proven 100% to be guilty, then I have no problem with them being put to death.

As the woman in question is mentally ill, she doesn't deserve to be executed, she needs to be treated for her illness - in a secure hospital like Broadmoor.
Old 24 April 2004, 09:57 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry guys, but you all know NOTHING about this most recent case of the woman burning her baby. You cannot just immediately draw your own conclusions and sentence her to death.....as I said above, there could be ANY reason why this happened.
Old 24 April 2004, 10:33 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Death penalty ? No.

1. The risk of executing an innocent person is too high (many documented cases of this happening in the past) with no possibility of correcting justice if errors found.
2. Reduced risk of conviction if the jury know the death penalty could be applied. This may sound contradictory to 1, but it's not. Even if there is evidence beyond all doubt, individual conscience of jury members may stop them from giving guilty verdicts if they believe the death penalty is wrong.
3. Will not have a deterrent effect on such acts taking place (mentally ill people, crimes of passion, al-Qaeda suicide bombers)
4. Would lead to "nothing-to-lose" situations where more people may die. For example it's often suggested there should be a death penalty for killing a policeman. So if a policeman gets shot, accidentally or on purpose, it's likely the person responsible would do anything to get away. So if he has to kill others to get away, so be it.

And that doesn't even touch the moral arguement about whether it is right in any circumstances for the state to take a life.
Old 24 April 2004, 12:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You can argue around it in every direction and it is always a difficult subject. Since the death penalty was stopped there is no doubt that life has become less valuable to those who go robbing etc. or commit other crimes such as rape etc. Violent crime with the risk of terrible injury or death is commonplace now. Murder now hardly gets a mention in the media now unless there are salacious or other sensational facts to go with it.

I personally think that the death penalty would make criminals think twice before killing their victims, I still think that the jury would generally come to the right conclusion but a lot would depend on the right kind of guidance from the judge so that there was no doubt about their responsibilities.

It seems to be required practice now that young criminals carry a knife of some kind around now, maybe to impress their friends but it is too easy to pull it out and inflict deadly injury with it.

Les
Old 24 April 2004, 12:33 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Not the nicest of jokes so consider it removed

Last edited by sammyh; 24 April 2004 at 03:20 PM.
Old 24 April 2004, 02:42 PM
Luke
BANNED

Cant find the Report to mod button....

never thought i would have to make another post here!!!

But 16Vmarc

maybe one day you would like to sit tied to a fukking chair eyes forced open and watch that baby burn in a oven??? then come and write another stupid fukking post.

There is no excuse. You are not a boy or a man to write such a comment.

Your post is scumpost. I thought i could lower the tone from time to time... but thats well below me.

Last edited by Luke; 24 April 2004 at 02:50 PM.
Old 24 April 2004, 06:50 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

You stupid man, i was referring to Imlachs post where he said we didnt know the ins and outs. Im not justifying what happened. I was trying to point out that there was no excuse for what she did. Maybe I should have worded it more `sensibly` or maybe you shouldnt take everything so litterally. No?
Old 25 April 2004, 01:23 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

hang'em.

if that dont work, nukem.
Old 25 April 2004, 01:56 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
You stupid man, i was referring to Imlachs post where he said we didnt know the ins and outs. Im not justifying what happened. I was trying to point out that there was no excuse for what she did.
Err....I sincerely hope you weren't referring to my post. In this thread, I have already postulated a scenario whereby an excuse could be found. 16vmarc, without knowing the facts of this case, you CANNOT say there is no excuse for what she did.

Your post WAS in bad taste, and using the "don't take it literally" stance is not really an excuse for it. Would you feel comfortable posting what you did had it been your nephew/grandson/etc that had been killed in an oven?