Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Credit card been nicked and used

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2004, 08:51 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Credit card been nicked and used

My sister had a credit card nicked It's been and used to notch up 6k worth of gear. Who is responsible for the dept?
Old 13 April 2004, 08:58 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

No, her house insurance covers her for £500. I thought the CC company would pick it up?
Old 13 April 2004, 08:59 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

whos the card with?
Old 13 April 2004, 09:01 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jer
My sister had a credit card nicked It's been and used to notch up 6k worth of gear. Who is responsible for the dept?
I take you mean the debt and not the department?
Was it stolen or cloned as I've had a chargecard cloned before courtesy of a Shell petrol station employee so I thought nothing of it until I got my statement as I was still using my card.

They had the duplicate 4 days and spent £2000 on it.

Informed the bank who just said they'll refund it immediately. No more hassle than that.

If your sisters card was stolen I'm sure they'll want to know when it was she realised it was gone. Should it have been weeks and her spending patterns wouldn't normally suggest this then they would need to know more.

If it's totally genuine then she won't have to pay.
Old 13 April 2004, 09:11 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Just spoken to her. She has the card, they must have got the number. It's MBNA. I think she will be okay.
Old 13 April 2004, 09:28 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

A cloned card makes things more straightforward.
Some of the purchases will probably be on store cctv camera so if they really want to exonarate your sister they can.
Old 13 April 2004, 09:44 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

shes covered.

im not sure if she has to pay the first £30 or something nominal because all companies have slightly different ways of handling it. the one i work for covers you 100% against any fraudulent use on the card. im surprised they authorised it all anyway if it was for such large amounts.

nothing to worry about though really (although i know it feels like it)just a pain in the ****.

roll on chip and pin!
Old 13 April 2004, 09:51 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt85
shes covered. im surprised they authorised it all anyway if it was for such large amounts.roll
2 problems here, 1- could have been lots of smaller purchases (although the spending pattern should have shown up) and ;
2- MBNA are a problem to themselves. I was sent one of their cards once and have not used it but every year they extend my credit for being a great customer???? It now exceeds 10k and I've never used it!!

Go figure.
Old 13 April 2004, 10:10 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
2 problems here, 1- could have been lots of smaller purchases (although the spending pattern should have shown up)
i dont know much about MBNA to be fair but i would have thought that this still would have shown up if it was truly out of character. but, where do you draw the line with it i suppose? maybe they have let it go thinking it was genuine because if they do decline it then they think the cardholder wont use it again as they will be so pis*ed off? but, is this better than fraud on the aco****? i dont know, i dont know how they work to be honest.

we had one at work a while back a man went to america to buy a car (only reason i remember it to be honest). he told us where he would be buying it, exactly how much for and roughly what time of the day and it still turned it down. to say he was pis*ed of is a bit of an understatement!

strange.