Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What is it about London...

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2004, 05:41 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is it about London...

...and it's never-ending quest to spend massive amounts of money on things that cost a fraction elsewhere?

See Backing for £385m Thames bridge.

We have already seen such madness in the £900M "dome" that nobody can get to, and the as yet unfinished £750M Wembley Stadium whose park-and-ride is at the NEC!!!!

Why on Earth should a "bridge" cost £385M??

For crying out loud - the M6 Toll cost less than a billion quid, so for the same cost as the "bridge" you could have built 10 miles of 6-lane motorway (including buying the land, public enquiries, toll infrastructure, service areas etc.). The M6 Toll itself has quite a few bridges itself, including some pretty big ones at the two M6 junctions and the M42 intersection!

Are TfL having a giraffe???

mb

p.s. and if you follow the BBC links, earlier estimates put the price of the bridge at £450M - so i won't be surprised if the final cost is far more
Old 28 March 2004, 08:43 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Wembley for £750m. No way. It'll end up at around £1billion.

Why do public works always overrun on the cost. Seems like a licence to print money. If they quote £750 thats what it should be.

Look at the Scottish parliament. That is a total joke.Not bad from an original cost of £62m. This has now risen to £430 of British taxpayers money. WHY? We should be told.

Chip.

Last edited by Chip; 28 March 2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old 28 March 2004, 08:57 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

would anybody care to give me a brief breakdown of why it costs close to £1b to build a stadium?

the riverside stadium in teesside cost £16m in 1995. now i know it was built a few years ago, its only half the size of wembley, its not in london, wont have 'state of the art' facilities anymore, but where does the other £984m go? by my reckoning you can build 62 riverside stadiums for the price of wembley. that fuc*ing ridiculous!!

its not as though were talking about the 'odd' million pounds here is it? £984 MILLION pounds?
Old 28 March 2004, 10:02 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Matt 85

Even better example is the Millenium Stadium - had to knock down a great big old stadium on the site, it's as big as wembley, with a closing roof, and bang in the middle of a city (not on a wharf ) - around £70m IIRC- £900 and something million quid cheaper ....

Last edited by Fat Boy; 28 March 2004 at 10:02 PM. Reason: spoolling orrer
Old 29 March 2004, 08:15 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Not ANOTHER free, paid for by the taxpayers, bridge for the whinging Londoners?

Time they stopped pandering to that lot, and made bridges like the Humber and the Severn and Dartford, free.

Where I live, about 20 miles from the Humber bridge, if you need treatment in a BIG hospital, you have to travel to Hull..........nearly £5 return, each and every time you go So don't get cancer, or something like that, round here

But if you have relatives in Hull prison, you can cross for nowt!!!

B@stard lying Labour!!!!!!!!!!

Alcazar
Old 29 March 2004, 10:12 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

The bridge won't be free, it will be a toll bridge.
Old 29 March 2004, 11:18 AM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The London lot can just **** right off. Why didn't they build their city just to one side of the river instead of right across it in the first place? They already have more bridges than any other town I can think of.
Old 29 March 2004, 11:19 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by alcazar
Not ANOTHER free, paid for by the taxpayers, bridge for the whinging Londoners?
and who pays the most in tax? is it all those "industrialists" in the north? err... no.

it's us. we make the most money. we pay the most tax. want to burrow my fork to get that chip off your shoulder?

Old 29 March 2004, 11:33 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Theres nothing outside London anyway, so why waste good money on rural communities when theres far more important things to spend money on in London!

Well, thats what some Southerner told me and I believe him
Old 29 March 2004, 11:50 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
and who pays the most in tax? is it all those "industrialists" in the north? err... no.

it's us. we make the most money. we pay the most tax. want to burrow my fork to get that chip off your shoulder?

Don't talk soft.......just 'cos there's more of you there, doesn't mean you pay more tax than the other cities of the Uk put together

I may have a chip on my shoulder about fekkin London, I hate the place and I hate most Londoners, but I'm heartily sick of seeing them get everything at a subsidised rate, while the rest of us continue to pay through the nose.

Alcazar
Old 29 March 2004, 12:00 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Its cool to pay tax
Old 29 March 2004, 12:04 PM
marky1
Scooby Regular

I thought we were subsidising all the unemployed single mothers with 13 children up north?
Old 29 March 2004, 12:08 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Don't talk soft.......just 'cos there's more of you there, doesn't mean you pay more tax than the other cities of the Uk put together
what other cities?

i went passed watford once - arrived at a place called scotland.

Old 29 March 2004, 12:34 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I thought London was just a little village (1sq mile?) surrounded by lots of other little villages. Thats why its full of backwards village folk!

Now Preston, that's a real city
Old 03 April 2004, 05:30 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Well after reading http://www.itv-f1.com/bahrain/features/story/20367 i have just got to bring this back to the top!

How can Bahrain build a brand new F1 circuit, from scratch, in the desert, with every facility that you can imagine, for a mere £80M (versus TfL and their three, er, four, er, maybe five hundred million for a pont)?

Construction of the [F1] circuit cost $150 million and took 16 months. At its peak, more than 3,000 people were working on the project.

- 70,000 cubic metres of concrete were used in the construction of the track, along with 8,500 tons of steel. The circuit is enclosed by 82,000 tyres and 5,000 metres of fencing.

- The track can accommodate 45,000 spectators – around seven per cent of the population of Bahrain! There is grandstand seating for 10,000 and parking for 13,000 cars.

- It is expected that the average lap time for an F1 car around the circuit will be 1m33s, with drivers averaging a speed of 130mph.
Oh, and the F1 circuit took a mere 16 months, where-as the bridge is anticipated to take 9 years

I bet you won't be allowed to do an average of 130mph over the Thames Gateway either

mb
Old 03 April 2004, 08:41 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
Well after reading http://www.itv-f1.com/bahrain/features/story/20367 i have just got to bring this back to the top!

How can Bahrain build a brand new F1 circuit, from scratch, in the desert, with every facility that you can imagine, for a mere £80M (versus TfL and their three, er, four, er, maybe five hundred million for a pont)?

mb
Probably too simplistic,but i guess labour rates out there will be much more lower than London rates.
Old 03 April 2004, 10:39 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

And maybe, just maybe the cost of getting the heavy engineering there, coupled with the massive cost of buying the land needed and the penalties incurred for the extra congestion the build will cause.

The bridge itself will probably account for less than a 1/4 of the total cost.
Old 04 April 2004, 05:36 PM
Roger Woods
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by planky
Probably too simplistic,but i guess labour rates out there will be much more lower than London rates.
I'm based about 300 miles away from the F1 track and the little Indian lads here in Saudi earn about 30 quid a month for grafting their Knackers off!

THATS why the track was'"cheap"!!!
Old 04 April 2004, 05:43 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I'd guess the land was free also in Bahrain
Old 04 April 2004, 07:21 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Now Preston, that's a real city
Are we really though?... i thought that two of the "qualities" required of a city were a university and a cathedral.

Granted, we have a polyversity, but i've never tripped over a cathedral anywhere in town. Do we have to grow to meet blackburn before we are fully "qualified" as a city?

Have the criteria been lessened these days? Maybe we got "citied" for having the first KFC outlet in the uk or for having the first piece of motorway.

John.