Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Robot Revolution

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2015, 11:51 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robot Revolution

I may be wrong in thinking that but I thought that it would be an interesting topic to discuss.

Not really a new story on the robots taking over, but further studies revive it.

A total of 35% of UK jobs are at risk of replacement within 20 years, dropping to 30% in London...

They said advances in technology will likely lead to jobs that require repetitive processing, clerical and support services being replaced by those that need digital, management and creative skills.

The researchers also warned that if the "significant shift" in the labour market is not handled properly it could lead to a widening of the gap between rich and poor...

The jobs considered to be at high risk are those in office and administrative support, sales and services, transportation, production and construction and extraction.

Jobs in skilled management, financial services, computing, engineering, science, education, legal services, community services, the arts and media and healthcare are seen as being "low or no risk".

Source: http://news.sky.com/story/1544884/ro...-take-your-job

So, if the new generation starts getting qualified with 'low or no risk' job qualifications, won't such fields become more competitive and over-crowded and the positions less achievable/less paid? I know we've already been thorough a bout or two of that in last few years, but with more and more robotic input, what are we expecting in coming years?

What do you think the future holds? To me, it looks concerning. I may be wrong (again!) hence the proposal for discussion.

It will also be interesting to look back where we were, and where we are, now; with the assistance of the robots.
Old 02 September 2015, 12:05 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Could wipe out the service sector bods in one fell swoop.

Then we'll go under / have pay people to do nothing
Old 02 September 2015, 12:05 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

if i was alive 200 years ago i'd be getting deja vu.

You sound like people did when steam engines came around
Old 02 September 2015, 12:16 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
if i was alive 200 years ago i'd be getting deja vu.

You sound like people did when steam engines came around
Well, I did say that we've already had a bout or two already. May be more, as you quote steam engines. What I want you to do is, think more, and predict.

You sound as if you don't give a fekk to whatever happens in future to our humankind.
Old 02 September 2015, 12:19 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Well, I did say that we've already had a bout or two already. May be more, as you quote steam engines. What I want you to do is, think more, and predict.

You sound as if you don't give a fekk to whatever happens in future to our humankind.
Sooner or later someone will pull the trigger and judgement day will happen,,,,,,

Or aliens will invade,,,, hahaha

In all seriousness most of the things you see in scifi will eventualy happen, just a mater of time till we are going to the stars.
Old 02 September 2015, 01:54 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Old 02 September 2015, 02:26 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Hm, that's the thing.

Will people shift their attention from Polish migrants to the robots then, for stealing their jobs, though?
Old 02 September 2015, 03:48 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the Polish robots, stealing our jobs?
Old 02 September 2015, 04:30 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
What about the Polish robots, stealing our jobs?
You know, SJ. You make a really good point. Let's see what others think of it. In my opinion, if the robots are homegrown, there'll be less upheaval. If they're Polish, it may kick off big stylee here That will go down in history books as British Human Revolution against Polish, job pinching, waste of space Robot Revolution. Revolution vs revolution, wow! Shame I may be dead by then, or in a care home, being bathed and fed by some Polish robot nurse. So, yeah, there's a hope to see the drama unfold.
Old 02 September 2015, 06:21 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

It's all been said before.We all have a life of luxury while the robots/computers do all the donkey work.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

The bosses realise you can do more & more yourself & load you up until you break.
Old 02 September 2015, 07:27 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Wall-E made some interesting predictions albeit in animation. It may seem far-fetched but seemed to resonate well with people.
Old 02 September 2015, 09:14 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This topic has been covered before

Old 02 September 2015, 10:10 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
It's all been said before.
So, let's say, say it all again. With more research and development around us, I'm sure what we say either modifies, reduces or enhances. Therefore it's good to discuss it again.

We all have a life of luxury while the robots/computers do all the donkey work.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

The bosses realise you can do more & more yourself & load you up until you break.
So, in future, if we have robots to do our more and more of our donkey type of work, we don't have to break our humans for donkeys. Shall I add it as a positive, then? Or am I getting it wrong, wrong, wrong?

Say if I'm getting it right, won't it still cause a negative impact such as less certain type of jobs, as quoted in the opening post? That will be a negative, won't it?

Say if I'm getting it wrong, what's right, then?

Hodgy, let's cover it again. That's if we have the capacity to expand on it, considering further development.

In order to meet the second posit from the original inquiry of this thread, I reckon vacuum cleaner has been life changing But one day, if a vacuum cleaner operates a vacuum cleaner (meaning machine operating a machine), I'd certainly be made redundant from that job in my home.

BTW, Mr. Bean is cool. I bet he regrets not having a robot to stuff his turkey in his Christmas episode
Old 03 September 2015, 10:30 AM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Having worked in engineering most of my life I like this stuff from a mechanical point of view. Having been in two series of Robot Wars I can only dream of some of the things some people achieve. That point where a robot stops looking like a robot and more like it has a mind of its own is a little scary.

Old 03 September 2015, 01:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

We have been told for years how computers are making our life better....but it's a con.

How many times have YOU been told by some hapless sod on the phone, when you ask for a change in something, "IT won't let me....."

Computers are becoming our masters.
Old 04 September 2015, 05:11 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by Turbohot
So, let's say, say it all again. With more research and development around us, I'm sure what we say either modifies, reduces or enhances. Therefore it's good to discuss it again.

So, in future, if we have robots to do our more and more of our donkey type of work, we don't have to break our humans for donkeys. Shall I add it as a positive, then? Or am I getting it wrong, wrong, wrong?

Say if I'm getting it right, won't it still cause a negative impact such as less certain type of jobs, as quoted in the opening post? That will be a negative, won't it?

Say if I'm getting it wrong, what's right, then?

Hodgy, let's cover it again. That's if we have the capacity to expand on it, considering further development.

In order to meet the second posit from the original inquiry of this thread, I reckon vacuum cleaner has been life changing But one day, if a vacuum cleaner operates a vacuum cleaner (meaning machine operating a machine), I'd certainly be made redundant from that job in my home.

BTW, Mr. Bean is cool. I bet he regrets not having a robot to stuff his turkey in his Christmas episode
I was thinking of all the predictions over the years about how the future could look.It will be a very long time before robots or computers will be as cheap & versatile as humans for most everyday tasks.
Old 04 September 2015, 08:59 AM
GWJ
Scooby Regular

I visited the Mini factory in Oxford last year, absolutely amazing. It was a robotic ballet. Apparently it is one of the most efficient car plants in the world

A few points that stood out.

Everything on the production line is sold, no more car compounds full of cars waiting for someone to buy them.

Every car on the production line was different, it must be an impressive computer program that ensures all the right bits for the right car converge at the right place and time for assembly

There were about as many robot technicians to maintain the robots as assembly workers

Some human input was required, to put the wiring looms in for instance

Overall an impressive day out, highly recommended. In our group we had someone not really interested but came along with her husband, even she was blown away by the end of the tour