Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

School Kids and Buses...

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2004, 06:12 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry School Kids and Buses...

More and more often I'm seeing school buses with kids leaning on the windscreen talking to the driver ...Now is it just me or is this complete lunacy ??

If the driver had a head on crash or was forced to break really hard, these kids would surely be catapulted out

I have seen the same bus in the same situation for the last few days now. I aren't a do - gooder, but I'm thinking these bus companies/drivers need reporting

Thoughts please...
Old 23 March 2004, 07:21 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Do it.
Old 23 March 2004, 07:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Go for it.

If you know the school, speak to the head, if not, the bus company AND the trasnsport department of the LEA.

If it were MY kids, I'd want someone to report it.

Alcazar
Old 23 March 2004, 07:46 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

I have to suffer people of my fellow age doing this everyday. Sitting on front window ledge standing upstairs even when there are seats.

And what to I get told when I advise them that I do not want them hurtling accross the bus towards me if the bus so much as breaks slightly harder then normal. "Ohh come on Ian, have a life its a bit of fun".

And there was me thinking that my aim was to kepp my life.
Old 23 March 2004, 10:56 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Agree with Alcazar - report it to school first as it is their kids as it were. Many schools appoint "bus prefects" who are obviously not doing their job. Take a piccie as evidence. DL
Old 24 March 2004, 09:19 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

This used to happen on my school bus many years ago... mostly girls talking to the nice man! In my five years at High Skool, the bus only crashed twice I think... maybe it was 3 times Although I guess theres more traffik these days.

Its not really the drivers fault as theres not much he can realisticly do to stop the kids. Its also not his job to control the kids behaviour. Best bet is to talk to the school and have them sort the kids out. The school can then take any aktion with the bus company that they deem necessary!
Old 24 March 2004, 01:02 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

I used to work arranging transport for the LEA. Complaints are taken very seriously and dealt with accordingly, even the daft ones aren't swept under the carpet in any way. I'd write to the LEA expressing your concern. Knowing the bus route and company as well as the school name would be useful to them.
Old 24 March 2004, 01:19 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

complete tangent- just reminded me of coming home from school on the bus and unhooking the upstairs back window then jumping out in Cotteridge. Just shows (rightly so) how safety consious we are nowadays.
Old 24 March 2004, 04:54 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

When I were a lad... (seems like only yesterday )

People used to sit with their back against the front windscreen talking to the driver. Just one thin pane of glass between someone's back and the outside world.

One of the side windows fell out on the journey home once, it may have been helped on its way. I can also remeber a small fire being lit on the back seat with some school books, and the bus driver stopping on the road home and asking two of us to lift a seat cushion from the road onto the bus... it had "fallen out" of another bus on the same route.
Old 24 March 2004, 07:25 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
Its not really the drivers fault as theres not much he can realisticly do to stop the kids. Its also not his job to control the kids behaviour.
Sorry, I thought any driver was responsible for the safety of his vehicle and his passengers - doesn't the driver get fined if the passenger has no seat belt, for example? Driver's fault.
Old 24 March 2004, 08:42 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Sorry but the drivers just cannot control a bus, have been on one bus where the driver threatened to drive the bus to the police station and one kid just turned around and punched him in the face.

Needless to say he got a free ride to school in the cop car, with nothing more then an afterschool detention.
Old 24 March 2004, 09:28 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Exactly my point farmer1.

Even if the driver tries to control the kids it doesn't have any effect. After a while the drivers give up trying and just put up with it. Its very different situation from a normal public bus. On our school bus it was always 1 of about 3 different drivers, so the kids soon got to know who the driver was and work out what they could get away with. Kids being kids, that limit gets pushed further and further as time goes on, then people are stood by the driver, in the dorways etc. The only way to control it is to put an adult/teacher on the bus to control the kids!