Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Police protecting children

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2004, 10:27 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police protecting children

A good prog that showed how well the police swarmed on the ring they found out about in conjunction with US.
It did show how much work goes into this but also highlighted how the whole thing falls on its **** as soon as it hits the courts
Old 23 March 2004, 10:42 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

watch this space
Old 23 March 2004, 10:43 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

Made me feel sick the way the police were sucking up to Townsend
Old 23 March 2004, 10:43 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

I see it is a series
Old 24 March 2004, 09:27 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Angry

Made my guts turn, take my hat off to those officers who have to check all those imagies, that must take a hell of a lot to do, fair play to them, the crimanals should be shot IMHO.
Cheers
Colin
Old 24 March 2004, 09:49 AM
Herts T555 Bird
Scooby Newbie

I couldnt believe that they were talking to that guy that got arrested in the hotel about his 'holiday' on the way to the police station!! Nothing against them, but sitting next to a peadophile and making idol chit chat like that was pretty disturbing. I'd have wanted to kill him there and then.
Old 24 March 2004, 10:36 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Herts T555 Bird
I couldnt believe that they were talking to that guy that got arrested in the hotel about his 'holiday' on the way to the police station!! Nothing against them, but sitting next to a peadophile and making idol chit chat like that was pretty disturbing. I'd have wanted to kill him there and then.
I don't think that was the case at all. A bit of apparent small talk is a good way of extracting information. What was revealing to me was the fact that he never once protested his innocence or seemed surprised by his very public arrest.

I though one of the points of the programme was to contrast Townsend's stupidity and naivety against the real criminal intent of the other guy. It was all pretty unpleasant though I have to say. I thought the press photographers were horrible too, like a pack of scavenging hyenas.

UB
Old 24 March 2004, 10:48 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Herts T555 Bird
Yes, without knowing ANYTHING about police techniques, I'd have thought a bit of smalltalk is one way of getting some trust going - an easy manner is more likely to make someone open up surely. Giving him the "bad-cop" routine from the start is hardly going to be a good method of getting someone to talk openly!

The fact that you wanted to kill him surely means you wouldn't make a good detective
Old 24 March 2004, 11:35 AM
Herts T555 Bird
Scooby Newbie

Thats why im not one......

I wasnt saying what they were doing was wrong, just pointing out that it seemed odd from my point of view, as i would be livid. As im not a detective, i obviously dont understand all the in and outs of police techniques.
Old 24 March 2004, 12:10 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Thought the program was very illuminating. I had often wondered how guilty the accused were, konwing how easy it is to inadvertantly click a link and get something you wish you hadn't seen. However the program kicked that idea into touch, there is no way the people involved did anything by accident.
Worse was the primary school teacher who was one of the sickest, depraved individuals I've ever heard of.
It's vital that the police take an objective approach when dealing with these people. The role of the police is to arrest these people, not punish them. I couldn't help thinking though that the job of looking at those pictures is the type of thing that would appeal to the worst kind of pervert. I wonder if they do random checks on their own officers? Thinking particularly about the Soham cop who was found innocent on a technicality here.
For the life of me I can't understand what these people get out of looking at pictures like that. I'm glad about that.
Old 24 March 2004, 12:29 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

There's more to it than meets the eye. We protect a lot of our techniques, so you won't have seen some procedures.

Nice that our line of the job has had some exposure. I really do enjoy the work, although the pictures and movies are generally quite horrific! As a result, we have the option of regular counselling from our Force psychiatrist.
Old 24 March 2004, 02:30 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

hats off to the police, I know I couldnt keep my temper with a nonce, just a shame that we will never be able to stop this kind of depravity!

It also must be hard to follow everything by the book, when you are arresting people like this (As I realise you have to, in order that the scum do not get off on a technicality)
Old 24 March 2004, 09:33 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

BuRR,
Up most respect mate, cos I know I could'nt do it, I'd just wanna smash their faces in, I now know why I never got into the Met.
Cheers
Colin