Method Statements

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2004, 02:52 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Method Statements

<rant>

Just had one of my method statements rejected to the second time. This bloke is a proper arrogant c***. What he doesn't seem to understand as it is his site - he should be advising me as to what procedures he requires us to adhere to. in his latest email he has requested that i send copies of relevant parts of HSC publication "safe use of lifting equipment" FFS - why should I? If he wants to know what it says he can bl**dy well go and buy his own copy. he also has the cheek to cc me into the email that he sent his colleague in which it says "I suggest we give them (ie me) a deadline of 12:00 on wednesday to submit an acceptable MS." and this is at, what, 14:00 on teusday. i went to phone him up to go ballistic at him and he's "not available". at least the guy that i did speak to was quite helpful...

</rant>
Old 24 February 2004, 08:24 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Ar$3#oles.

I once got asked if we had a test cert for the length of rope we were proposing to use to hoist a bucket up a scaffold. I changed the MS to say that we'd carry the bucket up the ladder instead and he was happy.

I've found one way to help get method statements past people is to put a *really* blindingly obvious mistake in the 1st copy, and once they've found that, they don't seem to look as hard at the rest.

John.
Old 24 February 2004, 08:45 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

yeah - should have amended mine:

all trees will be dismantled using a nail file. PPE appropriate to the use of a nail file will be worn at all times. For risk assessment for nail file use, please refer to Boots the Chemists.
Old 24 February 2004, 08:50 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Someone on here got a bollocking from a safety guy for not wearing a hard hat whilst working on the roof of a building - he shouted back - what the ****'s gonna land on my head - the sky ??

Made me laugh
Old 24 February 2004, 08:58 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Proper - it's not TSYS in Knaresborough by any chance - I've got one like that at the moment

The're all at it for some reason, H&S in construction seems to have gone potty over the last 6 months. I went to at a McCalpine site before Xmas to look at a liftting operation with a view to writing MS&RA.... I got to the security gate:

mj: "hi mate, from Such&Such, come to look at the generator offloading"

£3.60 an hour security guard : "have you got a method statement?"

mj: "no, thats why I'm here. I need to look at the job so I can write one."

£3.60 an hour security guard : "Sorry mate, you can't come on site without a method statement"

...and so on....I've forgotten more about H&S than this spotty greasy *** has ever known, and the sad fact is that the same tool presented the induction...well if you can call sticking on a video and then getting back to his shed a "safety induction" , total load of crap.

H&S in this country is now getting to a point where it is getting too expensive/counter productive to work with, no-one seems that interested in preventing accidents, more preventing claims.

Old 24 February 2004, 09:00 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Charlie, i had a right old rigmarole with some arsey site manager about this

he said i needed to put down that i would evaluate the size and weight of an object, then seek help if required....

common sense usually prevails, but these oiks want it spelled out!!!!

BB
Old 24 February 2004, 09:06 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

mj - totally agree. it's not abouty how safely you work, it's about how much b*llocks you can write about this and that. some of the other things he criticised my MS for: no procedure for public liaison. wtf? no detail on parking of vehicles. double triple wtf? can't even remember the others. then he threatens to give the job to someone else. i wanted to tell him to shove it as i'm not even directly involved in this side of the business but apparently these morons are "worth persevering with"

incidentally, the company is a subsidiary of kellog, brown and root - the ones who are currently making a fortune "rebuilding" iraq. hope all those iraqis have had proper training in the safe use of that plant. as if.

Last edited by ProperCharlie; 24 February 2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 24 February 2004, 09:13 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beemerboy
common sense usually prevails
BB - nah, that was in the good old days. you can't buy common sense these days.

Old 24 February 2004, 09:24 PM
grabber
Scooby Regular

all this bull on h&s, how often do the site bogs get cleaned, & how come most of the labours on site can't speak a word of english,
Old 24 February 2004, 09:28 PM
MarkB1
Scooby Regular

Wink Method Statements

Hi,

I write the things all day, and risk assessments and health and saftey plans. I am also certified to IOSH and a certified Lloyds Auditor. My background was civil engineering. I am quite happy to help out anyone "offline" as I dont want a bollxxcking from my employer.The issue is one of **** covering under the Health and Safety at Work Act and Duty of Care under Civil Law etc etc etc Then there is also CDM Regs, so if you would like to sort out some of these clever barstewards I am happy to help, and you might want to make a kind donation
Old 24 February 2004, 10:27 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

MarkB1 - i'll mail you tomorrow if that's ok?
Old 24 February 2004, 10:51 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Slip a "dihydron monoxide" safety data sheet (such as at http://www.dhmo.org/msdsdhmo.html ) into the MS/RA package & see if anyone notices.

John
Old 25 February 2004, 02:23 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

MarkB1 - YGM
Old 25 February 2004, 02:54 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Totally agree that H&S is totally ott these days. We were doing some work in 2' X 2' cupboard and were using a step ladder. Safety officer comes over and say's " Sorry get off that step ladder coz they're band from this site" our bloke says "Yes we know they're band but what can we use in it's place, a podium scaffold wont fit". "I don't know, just get off the steps or we'll throw you off site"!

When we tackled the project manager about it he said "Well we employ you to sort all that out so sort it". Needless to say the cupboard is still bare!

Another thing is, have you ever noticed that the closer the handover approaches for Main contractors, all the H&S goes out the window ...............We refused to work on an unsafe scaffold supplied by the main contractor and even they agreed it wasn't "right". The answer from them............................."Come in the weekend and do it, that way no one will see you on it" WTF!
Old 25 February 2004, 03:00 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H & S on some sites is becoming stupid. I work for a mobile crane hire company and our method staements have to be so in depth now it is becoming a joke.
Old 25 February 2004, 10:36 PM
MarkB1
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Buzzer]Totally agree that H&S is totally ott these days. We were doing some work in 2' X 2' cupboard and were using a step ladder. Safety officer comes over and say's " Sorry get off that step ladder coz they're band from this site"

Tell him that the ladder is for maintainance only, and that you will restrict it to short durations of no more than 5 mins, he cant say no!!!!
Old 25 February 2004, 11:39 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mark

Hmmmm, you are now on my Buddy list until you start charging for the advice

Thanks again mate

Pete