Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Changing country with a hotmail account...

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2004, 10:06 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing country with a hotmail account...

To be precise, changing the country when you have additional storage.

Both my girlfriend and I have hotmail accounts we set up in the UK many years ago. We also purchased extra storage in the UK with a UK credit card last year. The renewal fee for this extra storage is due in March so my GF tried to change her details a few days ago. The MSN change account details system recognised that her Amex was a UK card - even though the billing address is now in Canada - and wouldn't let her change countries. We no longer have any other UK credit cards so can't use them. If we try to use someone else's card (with permission), it doesn't like the fact that the card holder is different to the hotmail account holder.

She has spent many hours dealing with MSN "support" people. She is now on first name terms with half of India (where they appear to be based).

Apparently this has completely foxed everyone at MSN. Both the fact that we've had the audacity to move country, and also the fact that she is trying to use a UK debit card that has a Canadian billing address. They keep carping on about the UK terms and conditions we signed. Well let us sign some Canadian T&C's then you muppets! Seems far too complicated for them. They keep telling us to cancel the accounts and set up new ones - complete with new addresses.

So, has anyone here successfully changed the country on their upgraded storage hotmail account? Failing that, does anyone know of someone at MSN that won't give us the same off-pat quote for the gazillionth time and actually be of some help?

I'm not too bothered about having to start using a new email account myself, as I now have my own website with email. It does seem a shame to lose it after 5 plus years though. However, my GF is extremely annoyed that she may lose her hotmail address, contacts etc. There must be a way...

PS: Mods, could this stay in NSR for at least a few seconds, as a non-techie (who never goes in Computer Related) may actually be able to help? Thanks.
Old 20 February 2004, 01:17 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Ah, I assume it is impossible then...
Old 20 February 2004, 01:22 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

cannot really help but I assume you are stuffed inthat way, but to help your wifes situation. She could join up with www.fuzzmail.co.uk because they have a feature to let you import contacts. Also the storage limit is 10mb as standard and as there are only about 300 members so far, it is possible that she will be able to get the same prefix.

Also if you have any problems you can email the serice provider and he has been very helpful on occasions.

Hope that may be of some use to you.
Old 20 February 2004, 01:30 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

maybe im missing the point but cant you just change the country in my profile??

I just changed mine successfully from england to canada and then back again wiv no probs.
Old 20 February 2004, 02:39 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suprabeast
maybe im missing the point but cant you just change the country in my profile??

I just changed mine successfully from england to canada and then back again wiv no probs.
That bit is easy. It's changing the additional storage payment details that is the difficult bit. Looks like they don't want our money.