Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Penalty Fairs on Trains

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2004, 08:05 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Penalty Fairs on Trains

Last night I left the office to catch a train from London Bridge at 7.53pm. Got to the bottom of the Jubilee escalator to realise I had left my season ticket (cost £2,709) on my desk. No time to go back because the next train is half an hour later. So I shell out £2.20 for a single to London Bridge.

Get to London Bridge, now how often do thos hitler types man the gates after 6, virtually never except last night! Now my problem is I am rubbish at reclaiming my cash so I get a ticket to East Croyden, £3.60 purely to get through the barrier. Hop on my train which is on time! Well first have to happen. The problem though with trains that run on time is the ticket collector sees this as a chance to check tickets.... you never see those peeked capped g1ts any other time... Any way I'm fast asleep when I hear someone bellowing in my ear. Wake up with a start and it's Hitler's brother, complete with tash! So I get fleeced for £11.80

Get a lift to Grenwich this morning and hop on the DLR, tickets get checked once every three weeks because those chumps are inherantly (sp) lazy and they like to sit at the front and pretend they are driving rather than check tickets.... BUT TODAY I GET HITLERS COUSIN!!! Forgotten my season ticket I say and with a cheshire cat grin he says "that'll be a £5 penalty fair then".

So £22.60 for forgetting my season ticket. It really p1sses me off the way that I shell out £2,709 and then on the odd ocassion I forget it I get treated like a criminal! In these days of digital imaging GPRS and all that other stuff surely it's not so difficult to get my mugshot on a screen and allow me to get a temporary ticket from a ticket office!

It's not even that I get a decent service for that. It's rubbish yesterday we were delayed for 20 minutes because of a signal failure outside London Bridge... no inspector then.

Well next time they want to see my ticket I'm going to tell them there's a 15 minute hand failure so they'll have to wait for my ticket!

A very annoyed

Dave P

rant over... feel better now...
Old 11 February 2004, 08:28 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

keep all your receipts / tickets and take them to a ticket office along with your season ticket. you MIGHT get a refund.

i had a young persons railcard... and forgot it once. had to pay the full fare but was told to come in the next day with my railcard and get a refund of the difference.

so you MIGHT get lucky like that. dunno if it will work with penalty fares tho but good luck.
Old 11 February 2004, 09:22 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Does anyone understand the concept of personal responsibility anymore?
Old 11 February 2004, 09:29 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Does anyone understand the concept of personal responsibility anymore?
are you suggesting he should be paying twice for forgetting his season ticket?
Old 11 February 2004, 09:35 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Are you suggesting that the railway company should take his word for it when he says "ooh, I left my ticket in my other pants"?

Ridiculous. You forget your ticket, you should pay for your journey then try and claim it back by writing a nice, contrite letter, not compare someone doing their job to the worlds most hated dictator.

Answer this: is it his fault or the train company's fault that he forgot his very expensive season ticket?
Old 11 February 2004, 09:39 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

okay... we agree on this. i thought your post was a dig at my reply, sorry.

i TOTALLY agree that the rail company should not just take his word for it... but he should still be able to get his money back AFTER the event, as i'd posted.

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Are you suggesting that the railway company should take his word for it when he says "ooh, I left my ticket in my other pants"?

Ridiculous. You forget your ticket, you should pay for your journey then try and claim it back by writing a nice, contrite letter, not compare someone doing their job to the worlds most hated dictator.

Answer this: is it his fault or the train company's fault that he forgot his very expensive season ticket?
Old 11 February 2004, 10:18 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Bet he won't forget his ticket again in a hurry

The 'hitlers' as he so nicely described the people that are doing their job! Amazing double standards people have.

If you forget your ticket, the solution is simple. Buy a normal ticket (one way or travelcard etc) for the WHOLE of your journey and claim back. I think you are allowed a certain number of claims per year but it is policy to refund in case you forget.
Old 11 February 2004, 10:29 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well next time they want to see my ticket I'm going to tell them there's a 15 minute hand failure so they'll have to wait for my ticket!
LMAO

Thanks !

David
Old 11 February 2004, 10:40 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

LoL!
I'll never forget when they first put the auto ticket barriers in a Watford juction. So many fair dodgers got caught out. The q to pay the ticket inspector at the barrier stretched to the platform...I just waltzed through the auto gate with my ticket. Felt like I'd got an access all areas backstage pass.
Old 11 February 2004, 12:18 PM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

Whilst I agree that you should pay a penalty fare I also think that if you can prove you had a ticket covering the journey already but lost/forgotten it you should be able to get a full refund.

Yes these guys are just doing their job, but they seem to take so much pleasure from it..

I've been in a carriage where a ticket inspector treated a passenger (who is also a customer dont forget) as if he was a kid and berated him for not going to the guards van in order to pay his fare.. Of course if the station was properly manned or the ticket machine was not out of order he would of got a ticket, but it so much more cost effective to hammer someone with a penalty fare and make a cheap profit...
Old 11 February 2004, 05:16 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

With a season ticket you can claim the money back if you forget it.

I travelled and forgot to renew my monthly ticket, I was running late, and simply forgot at the station. Got to Waterloo and explained, saw that the ticket was less than 10hrs out so let me womble off to the ticket office to get another season ticket.

The inspectors on my line have improved in quality.
Old 11 February 2004, 05:26 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I had the same when i bought a ticket on a train for myself and 2 kids

the bloke charged the kids full fare & refused the railcard!!!

i questioned it at brighton and there attitude was get ******

so i went into my local station..

full refund of the difference no probs.....

i know how you feel, but how many people do the old forgot the ticket routine...

my friend is a rail guard,,, he could retire if he got a quid for everytime he heard that one...

i got stopped once with a screaming 5 year old ( i wanted to buy the ticket on the train) sods law said the guard never turned up...

at the other end it was the hit squad... mr obnoxious giving the rule book routine ...

the wpc with him could see my point...

i basically said take this now sleeping 5 year old get on the train, go and find the effin conductor and look after the 5 year old and buy yourself a ticket!!!!!!

(in the middle of rush hour) as well

I paid my £2 and went on my merry way