Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

GPS and radar / laser warning

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2004, 03:26 PM
SUBAMAN300+
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS and radar / laser warning

I want to buy something to alert me where camera / laser sites etc are but would prefer to have same incorporated into a GPS navigation system like Naviman or Garmin which I can also move between vehicles. Does anyone have expeience of either of these and any comments please?
I already have a recent Bell radar / laser detector - it is great on gatsos but useless on hand held lasers, and besides if it did pick up a laser it would only be to tell me that I had just been booked, since a laser speed gun calibrates (reads) in about 0.2 of a second and there is no way anyone can react / brake that fast.
Therefore the only way to go (and I've had several sellers of laser detectors admit this) is for a laser jammer / defuser which basically blocks the incomming laser beam for about 5 seconds (while you do some braking) and only then lets the laser get a reading by which time you should be within the limit.
So IMHO, GPS navigation including camera / Laser / blackspot etc alerts + a seperate laser jammer is the way to go. Any experience / suggestions / comments please?

SUBAMAN300+
Old 03 April 2004, 01:41 PM
richard978
Scooby Newbie

Default Speed Detectors UK

I would go for a Snooper S4, Orgin B2 or Road Angel....these use GPS and come with a laser alert feature.

Cheers

**Edited due to commercial content**

Please contact webmaster@scoobynet.co.uk for details of advertising opportunities on Scoobynet.
Old 03 April 2004, 03:53 PM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have the Road Angel,LRC 100 diffuser(garage door opener ) and a BEL EURO550 detector.......................and eyes in the back of my head!!!

steve
Old 03 April 2004, 09:09 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

I have an HP iPaq, and I'm thinking of getting a Bluetooth GPS receiver and TomTom navigation software. You can download speed camera info as Points of Interest, which will then warn you when you approach 'em, although not mobile sites.

T
Old 03 April 2004, 09:12 PM
prana
Scooby Regular

You're all so lucky, our speeding laws are draconian as hell and we are not allowed to use any camera detectors and jammers. Just in case you aer wondering why we dont just go and get a "proven" anti camera detector, because the freeking speed cameras and anti-camera detectors are all designed built and tested here.

Last edited by prana; 03 April 2004 at 09:13 PM. Reason: here is Australia btw
Old 04 April 2004, 12:38 AM
richard978
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Originally Posted by quicksprint
I have the Road Angel,LRC 100 diffuser(garage door opener ) and a BEL EURO550 detector.......................and eyes in the back of my head!!!

steve
Blimey, be careful with the diffuser they are slightly illegal. How have you got on with your Target Diffuser?
Old 04 April 2004, 12:41 AM
richard978
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by prana
You're all so lucky, our speeding laws are draconian as hell and we are not allowed to use any camera detectors and jammers. Just in case you aer wondering why we dont just go and get a "proven" anti camera detector, because the freeking speed cameras and anti-camera detectors are all designed built and tested here.
Thats what i thought, all the videos that demo the Road Angel are on Aussie roads. How mad is that you make them but can't use them. Also you can end up in jail for not paying them in Aus.
Old 04 April 2004, 12:43 AM
richard978
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by SUBAMAN300+
I want to buy something to alert me where camera / laser sites etc are but would prefer to have same incorporated into a GPS navigation system like Naviman or Garmin which I can also move between vehicles. Does anyone have expeience of either of these and any comments please?
I already have a recent Bell radar / laser detector - it is great on gatsos but useless on hand held lasers, and besides if it did pick up a laser it would only be to tell me that I had just been booked, since a laser speed gun calibrates (reads) in about 0.2 of a second and there is no way anyone can react / brake that fast.
Therefore the only way to go (and I've had several sellers of laser detectors admit this) is for a laser jammer / defuser which basically blocks the incomming laser beam for about 5 seconds (while you do some braking) and only then lets the laser get a reading by which time you should be within the limit.
So IMHO, GPS navigation including camera / Laser / blackspot etc alerts + a seperate laser jammer is the way to go. Any experience / suggestions / comments please?

SUBAMAN300+
Snooper S4 or Origin B2
Old 04 April 2004, 01:17 AM
toigye
Scooby Regular

i have road angel well impressed
Old 04 April 2004, 03:58 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

When I got my first scooby, I also got myself a ROAD ANGEL. Best bit of kit I've ever bought.
I've done some big mileage in the car the last year, and on some unfamiliar roads, and the ROAD ANGEL has saved my license on a number of occasions.
It's now for sale as I am upgrading to a dell axim and tomtom navigator.
(I also get lost on the same roads!)
chris.
Old 04 April 2004, 11:30 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

I too fitted my Road angel yesterday.........well impressed
Old 04 April 2004, 01:46 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/index...ew=getlastpost

If you're interested, then please post something on the above thread (on the VX forum).
Old 04 April 2004, 01:54 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Does a road angel warn you that you are approaching a mobile speed camera site too
Old 04 April 2004, 03:08 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

andypugh2000, only if you have put the info in yourself, ie: a site you know is used by mobile camera operators.
I have only had it go off once on a mobile site that I didn't put in, and that was in north wales.
chris.
Old 04 April 2004, 05:16 PM
helfinger
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by toigye
i have road angel well impressed
i agree, i have a road angel picks out the cameras every time. Got a sweet price from http://www.speed-detectors.co.uk only £339 inc vat and post...they do other if you don't want a road Angel,snooper,Origin B2 etc
i would recomend them.
Old 04 April 2004, 05:51 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Andy I downloaded the stuff from the road angel website, and when I approched a mobile van yesterday it went bannanas As I said well impressed.
Cheers
Colin