Donating Embryos

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2004, 07:53 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Donating Embryos

Hey all,

Just wanted to find out what you thought about donating embryos?

I have been thinking about it for a while, and will continue to think about it for a while longer.

I know of people who are struck infertility, its not nice watching what they go through trying to find a suitable donor. If I donated then it might make the search in their quest for children a little easier.

Your opinions/views would be much appreciated

Ta
Old 08 February 2004, 08:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need sperms for that and nowadays there is a move to make donors responsible for what is produced.
Old 08 February 2004, 11:01 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Having had a bit of experience with this sort of thing I think it's a very generous thing to do Claire, good on ya.
Old 08 February 2004, 11:10 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Your opinions/views would be much appreciated
Want my opinion??

DONT PROCREATE!!

yah, humanity is damaging enough, especially without little suzi crying cuz she cant produce more damaged spawn.

THERE IS A REASON FOR IT!!

God, I cant wait for world war 3.
Old 08 February 2004, 11:13 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

chaos you're a living legend
Old 08 February 2004, 11:18 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

chaos you're a living legend
No, he's a tube.

I really want kids of my own one day (Looks like its NEVER gonna happen ). I just got thinking a while back that I TOTALLY take what I have for granted, and being honest with myself, am I really going to miss them if I'm not going to use them? I would go deranged if I ever found out I couldn't have children!

Last edited by eClaire; 08 February 2004 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09 February 2004, 12:35 AM
ed_the_duck
Scooby Regular

I don't mind practising

Ed
Old 09 February 2004, 06:24 AM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

I’ve been thinking about it too eClaire.
It took us a little while to get pregnant and it’s a horrible feeling every month finding you’re not pregnant when you really want to be. I was lucky the tests I had showed there was nothing wrong it was just a matter of time.
But for the people who are told there is nothing they can do it must be totally devastating. I could not imagine how it must feel
Its probably even worse because we always want what we can’t have even more.
It is easy to take it for granted your right.

The only thing that worries me is how would I feel knowing there is a baby out there that is part of me that I probably wont ever know.
I think if you can get over that feeling then I think it would be a great thing to do.
You would be giving someone a chance to have a family that they might never have had without your help.

Donating eggs doesn’t effect future egg production so in the future you can still have children of your own. and in the mean time you will have helped a few others.

You are special to be even thinking of it eClaire…..good for you hun.

Good luck with it what ever you decide
Cath
Mrs.Scoobypreza
Old 09 February 2004, 10:22 AM
civictyper
Scooby Regular

It's not my intention to offend so apologies in advance but I am of the opinion that if you cannot, for whatever reason, have children naturally then you shouldn't have children at all as it's nature's way of telling you you can't.

I appreciate that it's difficult but my partner and I were of the the opinion that if we couldn't then we would accept it and move on.

Not sure about donating eggs either TBH. Probably an ignorant question but is there anything to prevent children from related donors procreating with donor family members or does DNA not work that way with donated eggs ?? i.e. eClaire has a daughter and then donates and egg to a woman that has a son. Daughter and son meet and have children (highly improbable I know but it has happend with brothers/sisters).
Old 09 February 2004, 10:36 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

I don't agree with donating eggs/sperm. I too, am of the opinion that its natures way of telling you not to have kids. I don't say that lightly either having some experience of it. There are enough kids in the world already that would love a good home, so i'd go the adoption route.

Soooo Eclaire, its admirable that you'd like to help people that way but i just don't agree with it.

Old 09 February 2004, 10:57 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by eClaire
I really want kids of my own one day
you can burrow mine for a while, if you like

<yawn - **** all sleep for a week now>

seriously, i think it's a good thing to do. it took a while forus to conceive and it's a nerve wracking time, after a bit you start thinking that it might not happen, and that's a horrible feeling.
Old 09 February 2004, 11:39 AM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Good on ya eClaire. It's easy for those who have kids, or don't want them to say they don't agree with assisted conception. Try putting yourself in their shoes, the wife crying every month coz she's not pregnant and going through failed IVF, IUI.

Jer

Parent of an IVF baby
Old 09 February 2004, 01:12 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Well! There is a bit of a mixed reaction, but it seems scoobynet is Pro-Assisted Conception!

I am DEFINATELY going to look into it more now, I am going to visit a clinic to speak to someone about it, for an unbiased opinion (hopefully!).

Whilst on this subject, what do you think of surrogacy?

Sorry for being a pain, just curious!
Old 09 February 2004, 02:03 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

I think surrogacy is something entirely different to egg / sperm donation.
Donating a few eggs is totally different to carrying a baby to term and then having to give it away. Far more emotions involved all round.
There’s two types of surrogacy though isn't there?
The type where both egg and sperm are implanted and then the type where the surrogate mum is inseminated with sperm so the egg is her own.
Maybe its easier to be a surrogate for a baby where the egg is not your own. I imagine that way you wouldn’t feel like you were giving up something that is part of you.

I'm 28weeks pregnant and now and to put my body through all this and have nothing at the end of it....hhmmm I know I couldn't do that. It would be so difficult not to start to bond with the baby when you feel it kick and move.

But there are women who do it and for some it is very successful. I think again it takes a certain type of person to be able to do that.
I worked with a woman who was a surrogate mum and she seemed to cope with it ok but that was what I saw from the outside. I don't know how she really felt. It all went smoothly and everyone had a happy result. I’d forgotten all about her haven’t seen her for years now…. Wonder if she ever did it again?

I saw a programme about a woman who had been a surrogate mum 5 times as well as having 4 children of her own. She must have been superwoman because it will be a long time before I put my body through this again. I could never imagine wanting to be pregnant that many times.

Just goes to show we’re all different.
cath
Old 09 February 2004, 02:09 PM
Charlie WRXSTI
Scooby Regular

eClaire - This is something that I looked into about 6 years ago, but for reasons to do with my family health history is something that I could not take up. I was going to do it before I was sterilised. It is quite a lengthy process and will require time off work and sometimes a couple of nights in hospital/clinic.

I think that it is the ultimate gift to any couple that can't have children.

Good luck
Old 09 February 2004, 02:11 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I can see exactly where you are coming from. I reckon if I were to carry a child for 9 months there is no way I couldn't end up having some sort of bond with it, it is in my nature, I love kiddies! I was speaking with a male friend about this and he told me that if it were his girlfriend that was carrying the baby, he would probably more than likely end up having a bond with it too.

Its not something I would take lightly. However, if approached by a close friend or a family member, I would seriously think about it.
Old 09 February 2004, 02:12 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Claire I know I don't know you that well but I know you are quite an emotional person and can attach to people easily. If we never say another word as long as we live then please remember this when I say that I honestly do not believe you could give up a child you've carried for 9 months as easily as you think you could - IMHO you would attach and it would brake your heart. Be careful
Old 09 February 2004, 02:14 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Thanks Charlie
Old 09 February 2004, 02:17 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

The women who carry babies for other people really are amazing. I don't know how they do it, total respect

I couldn't do it, still working on my 5-baby plan

Hope the bf isn't reading LOL
Old 09 February 2004, 02:23 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Hope the bf isn't reading LOL
You'll know he was if he wears all body plastic overalls the next time he has sex with you

Last edited by LG John; 09 February 2004 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Screwed up quote handles!
Old 09 February 2004, 02:30 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

LMAO
Old 09 February 2004, 02:32 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

LOL