Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why pay insurance!!

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2004, 05:18 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why pay insurance!!

I was thinking today (rare ) because I now have two cars and the scooby is added as a temporary vehicle to the pugs policy I'm paying £113 EXTRA (above the £55 for the pug) a month to cover the scooby and yet I'll do about 50 miles a month in it since the pug is my primary car. This I'm sure you'll agree will be a massive financial drain if the car takes more than a month to sell (likely). But its got to be done though, hasn't it?

Well on the basis that an illegal immigrant can drive an unroadworthy £100 pile of sh!te, with no tax, mot, or insurance THEN run over and kill a 9yo boy, THEN flee the scene and ONLY get 2 years imprisonment (probably out in 12 months) I get to wondering why I'm paying £113 extra to insure my car for the occassional test drive or tick over drive - risk v reward suggests I should just not insure the thing

Do I have a point!!??

P.S. I will of course actually stump up the dough
Old 07 February 2004, 05:20 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

simple.....if it's nicked you lose £8K. big gamble!
Old 07 February 2004, 05:22 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

True but the car isn't needed so I could theoretically disable it and physically chain it to the car port wall
Old 07 February 2004, 05:23 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'd bite the hand off someone that offered my £8k for it. Been in autotrader at 8750ono and not even a phone call - looks like I'll have to lump a grand of that then probably get beaten down to £6500
Old 07 February 2004, 05:26 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

you're really struggling to sell it that much???? Sad news as I'm thinking of selling mine MY99 54K on it.... but I'm not going to give it away. May start servicing it myself and keep it.
Old 10 February 2004, 09:04 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Just don't rely on anyone from Scoobynet to help the selling process

Sadly I have NEVER encountered so many time wasters when trying to sell a car and unfortunately a huge percentage were from here

PS Back on topic... just change your name to DODO and don't bother insuring the thing and if you happen to meet a poor young kid crossing the road then don't even bother to swerve or bother braking prior to hitting him or even stop after you've knocked him down total feckin' outrage

Last edited by SiPie; 10 February 2004 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10 February 2004, 09:12 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

just wait until there are so many (polite mode on ); non productive citizens in this country, so as to outway the the current majority of law abiding tax paying responsible people- they Govnt will sh*t itself, the revenue stream from streath taxes will diminish and then & only then will they start to take these sort of problems seriously. Until then we do as we are told as support the infastucture that supports this dross...... morning rant over!
Old 10 February 2004, 09:40 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Get rid of road tax, get rid of insurance and put the price of fuel up. Global pot for national insurance, no ability to not be insured and the ones doing more miles and in theory more at risk of having a bump contribute more. However the funds should be ring fenced properly so that all the tax on fuel goes to road improvement schemes and funding the insurance.
Old 10 February 2004, 09:47 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

a possible problem with that is that someone with 5 previous fault crashes and several speeding tickets recklessly driving a ferrari enzo for 5000 miles a year pays less for "insurance" than a clean-recorded 35 year old driving a ford fiesta 25,000 miles a year.

Originally Posted by OllyK
Get rid of road tax, get rid of insurance and put the price of fuel up. Global pot for national insurance, no ability to not be insured and the ones doing more miles and in theory more at risk of having a bump contribute more. However the funds should be ring fenced properly so that all the tax on fuel goes to road improvement schemes and funding the insurance.
Old 10 February 2004, 09:50 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

This is true but they where talking about putting basic 3rd party cover on cost of fuel and the individual has to pay for the options such as fire/theft/comp cover etc
Old 10 February 2004, 09:55 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

fair enough - thats not SO bad...

but still leads to the problem that someone with a bad record statistically is more likely to cause damage to a 3rd party than someone with a clean record.

therefore, in that scenario, those who are more careful while driving are paying for those who are less careless. which COULD lead to people in general becoming less careful... particularly if they have a crappy car and are annoyed that someone didnt give them right of way when they should have...

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
This is true but they where talking about putting basic 3rd party cover on cost of fuel and the individual has to pay for the options such as fire/theft/comp cover etc
Old 10 February 2004, 09:57 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

particularly if they have a crappy car and are annoyed that someone didnt give them right of way when they should have...
True - but that's what I did under the current scheme when driving my old banger (SAAB)and someone did a dirty move LOL - wouldn't bash them in the scoob though it would probably crumple into a ball
Old 10 February 2004, 10:11 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

but still leads to the problem that someone with a bad record statistically is more likely to cause damage to a 3rd party than someone with a clean record.
Agreed, but said person is also more likely to be driving without insurance as they can't afford it due to their record anyway.

I am not saying that this is a full solution, we need to look at improving the driving test and having scaled tests as well. i.e. pass your test and you cannot drive on motorways or in a car bigger than a 1.0. After 6 months you can take your motorway test. After you have passed that you can take the test to upgrade to a 1.3, then a 1.6 then a 2.0 then unlimited.

More money for the Govt from testing and more to go back to the roads. Better standards of driving all round. Then when you are involved in an accident, if you are shown to be at fault, you need to pay to go on a re-training course and or get downgraded a level as well depending on the nature of the incident. I appreciate managin this may be an issue. But then I think we should also be assigned a number plate for life (or more than one if you have more than one car), you have to declare what car the plate is on when you buy a car. That way the car, plate and you are easily identified and linked together.
Old 10 February 2004, 10:14 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

shouldn't we therefore be looking at harder punishments and making it more difficult for people to drive without insurance (e.g. insurance disk, more police checks, automated checking on insurance), rather than passing that insurance risk and therefore cost onto other motorists?

Agreed, but said person is also more likely to be driving without insurance as they can't afford it due to their record anyway.
Old 10 February 2004, 10:22 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

shouldn't we therefore be looking at harder punishments and making it more difficult for people to drive without insurance (e.g. insurance disk, more police checks, automated checking on insurance)
Just look at the thread on here about the illegal immigrant that got 2 years (looking to be reduced) after killing a kid, no tax, insurance, diriving licence and a fake passport. Yes more checks and better enforcement would be a good way to deal with things, bit like why bobbies on the beat are better than speed cameras, but as they don't have the money to get the cops out on the road now, where is the money going to come from for these extra resources?

rather than passing that insurance risk and therefore cost onto other motorists?
This is what's happening now anyway, people can't afford the insurance for a whole host of reasons and so more and more go un-insusred bumping the prices up for the rest of us law abiding citizens.

While I appreciate that my solution is not ideal, it spreads the cost, ensures EVERYBODY is insured that drives a motor vehicle and reduces the costs to govt by being a self imposing scheme and therefore reduces the enforcement costs, which means there are more funds available for police on the road to watch for poor driving, pay for better driver training at testing time and improve the condition and safety on the roads by better engineering rather than by throwing speed cameras at the problem
Old 10 February 2004, 11:59 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

impound untaxed/uninsured/unMOTed cars and selling them or crushing them is they are not worth selling. Very large fine, lifetime ban and serious jail time if you get caught once -

There would still be a 'hardcore' who are willing to risk it, but I would think that most people would stick to the rules.

EG - No car insurance and you wipe out someones new 40k Merc - Likely outcome is a 50 quid fine and banned for a couple of months

Walk into a bank with a gun and steal 40k - likely outcome is several years not picking up the soap

Wonder why there is such a difference for what is basically taking 40k from someone else
Old 10 February 2004, 12:02 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

the logic also applies to speeding - If the govt really wanted to crack down on speeding they could do so fairly easily - but they would lose out on speeding tax big time -

...If you get caught speeding once, even 1 mph over the limit you lose your car and get a 5 year ban - would you still risk 85 on the motorway?
Old 10 February 2004, 12:10 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

non productive citizens in this country
ROTFLMAO

No danger am I paying more money on fuel to cover the wreckless driving of every other muppet out there. What is needed her is greater control (i.e. insurance disks for the windscreen) and much greater punishment for the crime especially if it has cumulative knock on effects. It would clearly be unreasonable for someone to go to jail if they had a wee bump in an otherwise roadworthy car and didn't have insurance. In the case I referred to in my original post the guy should have gone down for much much longer than 2 years
Old 10 February 2004, 01:16 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Walk into a bank with a gun and steal 40k ...Wonder why there is such a difference
Think the involvement of a "gun" and the fact that it was an intentional act rather than a case of being incompetent may have something to do with it.

What is needed her is greater control (i.e. insurance disks for the windscreen) and much greater punishment for the crime especially if it has cumulative knock on effects.
Things are getting close to becoming a police state as it is. This just adds to the problem. Why not just have every car in and a GPS device fitted so plod can track your everymove and auto send you a speeding fine everytime you exceed the speed limit. Have a little slot that take a combined tax, MOT and Insurance smart card and without it the car won't start.

You can take anything to the extreme, it all costs money to enforce and the Govt are not prepared to spend money putting coppers with brains on the streets when they can stick cameras there and occasionally say "oops sorry" when somebody does kick up a fuss about how inaccurate the things are. Look at how the police intimidate you and refuse to send out the pictures from the cameras saying they will provide them in court etc. What going to happen when your insurance disc falls off the windscreen or get obscured with a bit of mud so the reader can't read it? You gonna say - yes it was my fault the windscreen wasn't completely clean and I'll take my 5 year ban and £100 fine?

I know people go "oohhhhh fuel is too expensive" but at least that way, if you move your car, it needs fuel, if the cost is included there then you are covered, no forging, no hard core avoidence and you don't have to find £700+ a year for insurance and £180 for road tax.

And for you Saxo Boy with your car off the road most of the time, you would be covered as you have fuel in it, but it wouldn't be costing you anything unless you start driving the car and using the fuel.
Old 10 February 2004, 01:36 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

And for you Saxo Boy with your car off the road most of the time, you would be covered as you have fuel in it, but it wouldn't be costing you anything unless you start driving the car and using the fuel.
But if you parked it up with no fuel in it so nobody could start it an steal it then you are not insured. I think that one needs rethinking.

If the thiev puts his own petrol in it to steal it is the car then insured by the thief??

Saxo boys insurance claim!

Insurance dude "did the car have YOUR petrol in it at the time of the theft?!
saxo boy " er no sorry I drained he tank so it wouldn't get nicked"
insurance dude " well were sorry you were not insured goodbye"
saxo boy " oh dear that is a shame! never mind!"
Old 10 February 2004, 01:38 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sorry fellas you have all got it totally wrong.

if you are talking about the 9yo boy whos mum and sister were on GMTV this morning the illigal immigrant who sped past cars slowing down to let him cross the road, hit him, killed him and drove off, had no insurance, tax or MOT and got 20 months in goal (jail to the more americanized)

he actually originally got two lots of 4 months in gaol for killing the boy, this was then reduced on appeal to 6 months as the two offences combined cannot add up to more than the maximum sentance for one offence!!

so he only got 6 months for the accident, the remaining time he has to serve is because of passport offences, so just dont photocopy your brothers passport but by all means take others lives into your own hands while driving - no differnet to a gun in my veiw
Old 10 February 2004, 01:50 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

I think all cars should have an insurance disk, MOT disk and tax disk - that way the 5-0 could train there cameras to detect missing disks and then deal with offenders accordingly.
Old 10 February 2004, 02:01 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

If you are going to go as far as to automatically issue fines through GPS why not make smart cars that just can't go over the limit? I'll tell you why.................money Speeding isn't much of a safety issue its about money IMHO. Moreover, it probably is hardly ever the cause of an accident but mearly the component of an accident that magnifies the consequenced of that accident!
Old 10 February 2004, 04:35 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Think the involvement of a "gun" and the fact that it was an intentional act rather than a case of being incompetent may have something to do with it.

But driving with no insurance is intentional, and you can probably only kill one or two people with the gun, but you can take out 8 or 10 with a car - so which one is more deadly?

Last edited by fast bloke; 10 February 2004 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10 February 2004, 04:40 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

FB it depends if there is a women behind the wheel or not

I'll get my coat ....
Old 10 February 2004, 05:25 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
If you are going to go as far as to automatically issue fines through GPS why not make smart cars that just can't go over the limit? I'll tell you why.................money Speeding isn't much of a safety issue its about money IMHO. Moreover, it probably is hardly ever the cause of an accident but mearly the component of an accident that magnifies the consequenced of that accident!
The TRL suggest the true figure is about 7% of all accidents IIRC are caused by speeding.

Driver error being the biggest factor.
Old 10 February 2004, 05:28 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Please see here and comment http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/showthread.php?t=300977