Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

anyone done an mba

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2004, 09:48 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

has anyone on here done an mba? in particular a distance learning one - a lot of the major schools seem to be offering this now.

if so, do u have any advice for someone considering it?

what were u doing before and after and how did it affect your salary percentage-wise?
Old 16 January 2004, 10:47 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't, but I suggest you're 10 years too late if you think it'll make your salary jump.

Whether or not it will improve you as a manager is up to you.
Old 16 January 2004, 10:50 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

10 years ago i was 15

what these days in terms of advanced qualifications can help move up the career ladder faster, or cause major increases in salary?

looking at the stats, average salary for someone just having completed an mba is £64,000, and average percentage increases seem to be very high.
Old 16 January 2004, 11:13 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
WHAT??

I think those stats need a careful looking at. If that's true, the doors of the universities would be blocked by middle managers trying to get in and triple their salaries overnight.

Open Uni used to refuse under 27 yr olds for MBA candidatures as they wanted you to apply the degree to your existing management experience, not just treat it as a vocational doctorate so to speak. I think employers are also wary about the "loads of certificates but no experience" young guns.

You could be an exception, running your own successful company with a staff of 20 people and budget of X at age 25, in which case you will certainly benefit and good luck.

I did the OU B600 Capable Manager, which might be considered as the A-level of MBAs (10 mths distance learning), at age 28 and found it quite enough to give me new ideas, to bear in mind for when I might want to return to them and go into more detail, say in an MBA. I'm now 35 but in public administration, so a more targeted MPA would be more appropriate. But as I don't have a team to manage, and won't be promoted based on a qualification, I can't be bothered!

You might find your best way to get ahead is to have a large dong and work for a frustrated female boss
Old 16 January 2004, 12:42 PM
uksti
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I did an MBA. Prepare yourself for a lot of self-discipline to keep on top of the course deadlines.

It can be a mechanistic exercise to get the qualification or a way of broadening your perceptions and intellectual toolkit.

It will do no harm to your immediate salary potential, anything more depends on you.

Key thing - there are no whites and blacks in the answers - only degrees of gray.

AMBA
Old 16 January 2004, 12:55 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I finished a full-time MBA 3 1/2 years ago.
My overall compensation is lower now than it was before I did the MBA. However, the hours I work are almost 50% lower, so my net hourly rate has increased dramatically *and* my quality of life went up.

It was a difficult slog to complete the course and focus on learning rather than doing. This was more so as I didn't have a university degree beforehand.

In my view, the MBA gives me increased employability (job security) and also a broad understanding of other areas in my organisation e.g. legal, HR.

Go for it!

Suresh
Old 16 January 2004, 01:19 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

All MBAs where I work are earning well in excess of 100k (pls dont ask where I work). They are all pretty senior (over 35) and have MBAs from recognised institutions. But then again, there are people at the same level without MBAs.

I may consider the MBA route one day - it's very potent if you have good work experience. I know people with hardly any work experience and MBAs and they are unemployed.

Trending Topics

Old 16 January 2004, 04:02 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Question

seems to be differing opinions on the worth of MBAs. I have considered having a go at one. I am in an exectutive role without having any training as to how i should do it. Obviously, I have picked up a lot of stuff, but I often wonder if I would be more effective with some theory behind me. Also, I hope it would make it easier to get a job if the company goes t*ts up or i fall out with the other directors.
Old 16 January 2004, 04:25 PM
cookiemonster
Scooby Regular

I'm 2/3's of the way through a distance learning MBA. There is a very high workload, but I'd highly recommend it to those interested in further developing their career or looking for a broader base. Direct effect on salary is almost impossible to tell, and I think, missing the point somewhat. An MBA gives you options that you may not currently have. I work in $5m revenue multi-national, but like most, there is basically no training or support for anyone except technical staff and the most junior management - you're on your own and the MBA has been the answer.

My experience is good - both on the course and the effect on my career; but its not something that you can just "fit in" with whatever you do today. You'll most probably have to change your lifestyle to some degree to accomodate the work over three years. Not a decision to be taken lightly.