Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

O/T MBA tried in non scooby related so sorry....

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2001, 02:57 PM
blubell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi 'Chelle

I did an OU MBA, finished about 2 years ago, realy enjoyed the studying and got a lot out of it. Where is best to study depends a lot on what you want to do with it afterwards. Only worth considering schools that are accredited by the Association of MBAs, if you work in a specalist area there are now more and more specalist MBAs which you could find beneficial.

Mail me if you think it would help to chat.

[Edited by blubell - 12/2/2001 2:58:12 PM]
Old 12 March 2001, 12:04 AM
paulk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Can personally recommend the Strathclyde Graduate Business School (link below), they have an excellent reputation. They offer a host of routes, full time, part time, open learning and flexible learning (a blend of all routes).

I did the part time route which was the best mode for me. I felt it allowed me to practice and digest what i'd learnt, you will soon see how wrong academics can be.

The greatest experience was from the groupwork side of the course, as you met very busy people from very varied sectors which you had to work with to tight timescales.

Beware of the undertaking, it requries a big committment, my year had one of the completion best rates at SGBS with a dropout/failure rate of only 30%, I believe with open learning you can expect it to be much higher.

The course is difficult and imposing so ask yourself why you want to do the course, the amount of support you require, then choose the appropriate mode of learning. There will definitely be an option out there to suit you.

best of luck

Paul

PS. You can forget about Eastenders and the other soaps for the next few years

http://www.sgbs.strath.ac.uk/default2.asp

[Edited by paulk - 12/3/2001 12:10:59 AM]
Old 02 December 2001, 01:44 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Can anyone help me here?

I wish to study for an MBA whilst working full time, I am able ot get financial backing off my parents but would prefer to go somewhere that isn't too expensive........

I have searched the net and not really getting anywhere, looked at the OU.......I would like personal experience and preferably direct links so I can weigh up the options and make a decision asap

Many thanks in advance

Michelle
Old 02 December 2001, 02:49 PM
Anthony King
Scooby Regular

Michelle,
If you pop into a good local bookshop you should be able to pick up an MBA guide. The type of MBA you go for and the decision to go residential or distance learning pretty much depends on the industry you want to work in and your aspirations.

It's also worth noting that a recent US study noted that a lot of the value of an MBA is in the network of contacts you build up via a well respected residential course.

If you get a bit bogged down in all of this drop me an e mail.

Old 02 December 2001, 05:01 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for your help and advice I need to sort something out asap as time is running out for things I have plannd to do.........a chance conversation cropped up between myself and my dad and he basically said that if that is what I really wanted to do and I could present him with goals I wish to achieve he would basicallt fund the course and allow me to pay some of it back as and when

A few birthday and Xmas presents will be subsituted for the above offer

I will be in touch once I have found my feet with it
Old 02 December 2001, 05:24 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Michelle, one of my mates after getting a degree in Management from the local uni decided that management wasn't for him. He took a post-grad law degree funded by a career development loan from Barclays. I think that most banks do career development loans, check into that.
Seriously, the way the money markets are these days, your parents could get a better return on the cash by investing it wisely and you could get a better deal by looking to the banks. My parents and I looked into this, when I was refinancing the Scooby - their money has remained where it was and I've got a loan from Egg. Of course, your folks might not look at it in a business type way that my old man did
Old 02 December 2001, 05:34 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

What are you doing out of your home environment again?

Will MBA be a Muppet of Business Administration????
Old 02 December 2001, 05:39 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers for the advice Miles - my parents are looking to pay for half maybe more of the course and let me pay the rest........I will have to see how much I need and decide then what plan of action.......I shall enquire at some banks......

Sid all I have to say is
Old 02 December 2001, 07:21 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Michelle,

Be very cautious about your motives for undertaking an MBA &, if you decide to do one, which institution you use.

IMHO there are too many places offering MBAs now - probably only 4/5 institutions in the UK are worth it, and I'm afraid that I wouldn't place OU amongst them. You need to consider how a potential future employer would rate the institution - not all MBAs are as effective as others at opening doors for you post graduation. Speaking as an employer I'd much prefer to see quality of experience & achievement in the work place first. An MBA should be used to supplement this NOT to replace it. I certainly wouldn't recommend undertaking an MBA until your late 20s when you can relate your studies to the real world & your experience in it. This will allow you to maximise the benefit from taking the course and assist in effective networking.ie you'll better appreciate how all the modules link together & therefore how your fellow students' jobs fit into what you're being taught.

My other half took her MBA at Nottingham Business School on a part-time (evening / weekend) basis & thoroughly enjoyed it. Managed to achieve a Distinction too Unfortunately not much call for her skills now when looking after a lary 4 year old (& me!).

I would say that much of what she studied was common sense & relied upon lateral thought & interpretation. An MBA course may help you develop this but it isn't the be all & end all of self-improvement.

Whatever you choose though, best of luck. The above isn't intended to rubbish MBAs, just an attempt to balance the picture!!

Hugh

Old 02 December 2001, 08:29 PM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Try looking at

http://career.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pagename=View&c=Collection&cid=IXLCVFAYRBC&liv e=true

What you going to do a MBA in M ?
Old 03 December 2001, 01:07 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My g/f should know all you need. She is 1/2 way through a self-financed, part time MBA and is also quite young. Can I get the two of you in e-mail contact??
Old 03 December 2001, 01:38 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Yes please boost.........

michelle.allen_wrx@btinternet.com

Bit late in the night now so I will reply to posts tomorrow........

If anyone wishes to email me feel free to do so

Many thanks

Michelle.
Old 03 December 2001, 02:28 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Michelle- u sound very nice and heck u have a nice car Im drunk wanna e-mail me and be friendly please-no drunks-god is that being hypocritical was that spelt right -well u know -me got a 2001 wrx and looking for good service places for it guess Im drunk -but it is weekend
Old 03 December 2001, 03:31 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I know little on the subject as I always rely on hard won experience and people's instinct in my industry. However i read all about MBA's during 2 hours on the tarmac at Miami airport today (yeah, had to abandon the takeoff twice due to faults on the plane...gulp)

So I am happy to post you the feature and all the reviews from this Am Airlines supplement when I get back.

I think you will have got data by then, but thought I'd offer anyway. They start at $70,000 for a 2 yr course by the way! That's a lot of Scooby bits!

D
Old 03 December 2001, 07:56 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

All help and general information is very much appreciated.........

Many thanks

Michelle

BTW ^OPM^ Hoes the head???
Old 03 December 2001, 02:18 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Michelle-do I feel a pratt now for typing that in last night-heads fine btw but did n't get up till like 30 mins ago tho lol