Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Okay career advice needed.........

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2001, 05:28 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I posted not so long ago about advice for an MBA..........

My dad thinks this would be the best course of action for me to take to further my career......I had my heart set on the CIPD Certificate In Training Practice.........

I no longer will have to fund the course myself as my dad has no offered to pay for it all.

So therefore I need to present him with a course that will enable to get into the field of work I want.......

So......what do I want to do? Ideally I would like to get into a training position delivering management courses and also be involved in Health and Safety. Eventually I would like to set up my own business possibly in consultancy......

Can anyone advise me? Would an MBA be the best option or should I be considering other qualifications?

Many thanks

Michelle
Old 09 December 2001, 08:09 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Have you thought about speaking to the HR department of management training companies, I'd ask 'em what they would recommend to get such a job. Or if there was a ad call 'em up and ask what you could do to improve your chances? Is there a professional standards body, who have people, or a website, which could answer your questions.
We use a company called MTI, don't know anymore on them as I'm not in management
Old 09 December 2001, 08:13 PM
phd
Scooby Regular

Chelle,

What line of business are you in at the moment?
E-mail me if you like on the previous address

Peter
Old 09 December 2001, 09:08 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

I am in the transport and distribution industry hopefully leaving soon.

I have had some experience at training but none in an official capacity........
Old 10 December 2001, 03:09 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

Toooooooooooooop
Old 11 December 2001, 11:52 PM
jimbob2
Scooby Regular

An MBA is a good way to climb the ladder - is that what you are trying to do?

It can demonstrate that you have a business mind, and represents a demonstrable transferrble skill (you Human Remains types should like that one)

An official traing qualification would be good, but it's focus is narrow - training is not the easiest market to be in - my training budget got slashed to £0 this year from £10k last year.

j
Old 12 December 2001, 11:56 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Michelle, note also the difference between an MBA and an MPA (Public Admin) - surely H&S, as a public sector, justifies the latter? Also, look carefully at the Open Uni courses offered, they do a lot more than just an MBA. My colleague is doing public sector management with them at present, and I think when I last looked they did some specific Health Service stuff (which is probably a million miles from H&S, but still!).

Your problem might then be if it is a transferable skill in the future.

Other thing is, if you are to work in public sector or to become self-employed, would an MBA really make a difference to your wage? Behaviour yes, wage perhaps not.

Good luck

Brendan

Trending Topics

Old 12 December 2001, 12:54 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Wotcher Chelle

Long time, no post (I'm out of work at the mo, so don't always have PC access )

Anyway, if you're thinking of Health & Safety stuff, give Rich Askew a shout: askewrichard@hotmail.com as I seem to recall that's his line.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 12 December 2001, 01:08 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Michelle,
I have just started the CIM course, the chartered institute of marketing course is the only internationaly recognised marketing qualifaction. It takes around two years Part time (evening classes)and the the two years not only get you two international recognised marketing qualifactions, which are usefull in a business enviroment and they count as the first two years of your MBA as such you can get three international recognised qualifactions in 4yrs and be worth 50k a year for just getting up in the morning.

Good luck and i hope this helps,

Phill
Old 12 December 2001, 02:51 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

These are all interesting and really helpful comments big thanks for taking the time out to help me
I have been sitting through considering options and taken note of your opinions - I still have yet to be 100% confident on a decision of what course.

I would like an internationally recognised qualification as I wish to move to Australia and need something that would be recognised over there.

Phill the marketing qualification interests me I shall have a look at that.........can you complete it in a year or is two years the only option?
Old 12 December 2001, 04:06 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Michelle

I seem to remember that the CIM course can be done in one year if you have a degee that exempts you from the first year. I have a degree in Business Economics which exempts me from the first year but an English degree student would have to do two years. Best net would be to contact the CIM people and ask about exemptions.
By all accounts the second year is bloody hard with a high fail rate. One day I really should get round to doing it though.

MArk
Old 12 December 2001, 05:52 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

FWIW, I wouldn't recruit an MBA student.

In my experience they tend to leave college/uni thinking they're gods gift to business, and have all the answers.

However, when faced with "THE REAL WORLD" they're out of their depth trying to find answers not found in a textbook.

I'd take Experience + common sense over Qualifications any day.

Just my 2cents
Old 12 December 2001, 07:15 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

True David but I will have experience plus qualifications hopefully.......I literally have worked up from the bottom rung of the ladder at my place of work.......not only am I one of the only people to have two promotions in two years but also the first female to schieve this.......

I decided not to go to uni but am kinda regretting not doing it. I wish to move on from my current employer as I strongly believe that I am at a disadvantage being a female there......I intend to get a qualification that will hopefully open up wider opportunities and higher goals for me to strive to.
Old 13 December 2001, 09:05 AM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Michelle,
Hi there, The two year plan is how it takes with only 3-5 hours a week of input i'm sure there is an intensive plan !!

Good luck with the move, i dont intend to stay in the UK either !

Phill
Old 13 December 2001, 09:53 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
David, when I looked at Open Uni's MBA they refused to take on anyone under the age of 27 for exactly that reason. The idea was that you built on management experience already gained, rather than being pumped full of theory before setting foot in an office. I just did the one-year Cert of Management, found it a great help, and it also taught me (at age 27) that I would only get the best out of a full MBA in my mid 30s. And you had to apply each theoretical situation to your own work / office / life - very good.

Now I'm 33, but I've just done a full-time LLM and have a 5-yr public sector contract as a direct result, so I won't be joining the MBA herds just yet!

BJH