Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Article in the mail about A.I and robots

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2004, 12:20 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was reading this article in the Mail about a guy who is trying to create artificial intelligence, you know the Android dream.
Anyway to cut a long story short he was the Creator of the comp game Creatures a few years back before all the Tamacochi stuff. You may remember it, the were called Norns.

The way he approached the intelligence of the creatures was to give them brain cells rather than a set of instructions to deal with set circumstances, so the Norns basically went of and learnt for themselves.

He has now built a robot called Lucy who has the equivalent of a million brains cells, and she has learnt to do a few things on her own, recognise shapes and colours and sound. So she basically is like a very young child.

cyberlife
I cant really explain how he has approached programming the robot except that he has written software that mimics the chemical reactions of neurones and muscles and the interaction of hormones and stuff. heres the bit from the webby that explains it better than I could.
There are, roughly speaking, two different approaches to artificial intelligence at the moment: one tries to create high-level reasoning by explicitly programming the rules for it into a computer. The other, newer variety, takes more account of biology and self-organisation (through evolution, say), but has little to say about creatures like us. I, Lucy, am an attempt to find a middle way: a biologically inspired and plausible approach to the replication of higher level, mental phenomena. My intelligence will not be "programmed in" - after all, pre-programmed behaviour is, by its very nature, unintelligent. But nor will I be a mere reactive machine, with all the wit and intellectual sophistication of a stick insect. My intelligence will be an emergent consequence of the interactions between thousands of simulated neurons, and, moreover, it will be learned, rather than given to me. I won't be very smart, but it might not be too far from the truth to say that I will have a mind of my own, albeit a very, very stupid one.

That is, of course, assuming my creator's hunches and theories are right...

If taken to the ultimate conclusion where someone succeeds in making an android capable of independent thought and intelligence would they be a real Life or artificial life?

The human being is basically a machine controlled by instructions from a brain with independent thought, as would an android be machine controlled by instructions from a brain with independent thought, basically the same but one is steel, oil and rubber the other is bone, water and Muscle. Small Difference if you ask me.

heres the bit that expalins the

[Edited by Krade - 1/12/2004 12:23:03 PM]
Old 12 January 2004, 12:36 PM
yoza
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you can purchase and inject AI, give me a shout!