Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DVD Camcorders?

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2004, 11:26 AM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Looking at buying a camcorder and was considering the type that uses DVD-R and DVD-RW's as the storage media.

Are these any good? I'm not after anything too flash but like the idea of not having a tape to rewind / fastforward between viewing footage and recording more film, plus being able to play the DVD's on my pc.

Off to Florida 1st May and getting hitched while over there, thought a camcoder would be good to take.

Thinking of this model:
Sony DCR DVD200

Any thoughts?

Bob
Old 11 January 2004, 11:32 AM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Red face

[Victor Meldrew voice on] I DONT BELEIVE IT [/Voice Off]

A subject Scoobynet cant provide info on? Thats gotta be a first

Bob - Still seeking advice
Old 11 January 2004, 02:23 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Buying in the USA means you're likely to get an NTSC based cam unless you find someone who deals in PAL stuff too. That might cause problems when you get back to the UK. Plus, you'll also need a 240V adaptor or at least a new plug for the supplied adaptor.

To avoid UK customs, a suggestion is to throw away the box, post the manuals home seperately and use the thing for a bit whilst you're out there.

I personally wouldn't trust an optical based writer on an object that is moved around a lot when in use. I'd stick to MiniDV, small format camcorders have been around for years and it's quite a nice format.

Also, the DVD based cams convert to MPEG2 then record to disc. Editing MPEG2 isn't the easiest thing in the world, particularly when scrubbing backwards through video. You may be tied to the (usually crap) software supplied with the cam to do your editing, preventing you from moving on to better tools such as Final Cut Express or Premiere. Plus, when you come to reburn to DVD, you end up compressing in MPEG2 again. So that's two encodes that your video has to go through.

I plumped for a MiniDV based Sony TRV33 earlier in the year and found the people over at the SimplyDV BBS very friendly, informed and helpful.
Old 12 January 2004, 09:48 AM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments class_A,

Wasn't intending in buying the camcorder over there, want to buy it over here so I can practice first.

My m8 has the tiny Sony microDV (IP7 ?) but what I dont like is the tapes, if you want to play back something you've just recorded you have to rewind the tape, then if you want to record more footage you have to fastwforward to the end. Well this is what I DONT want to do, its a pain in the ****, and you end up taping over something by mistake - I know that 'cos we went to the footy world cup in Japan and lost a load of film footage that way
Its like compareing a VCR to Sky+ for recording tv progs, I have a top of the range Sony VCR that we never use as its soooooooo much easier to use Sky+

Not bothered about the editing software limitations of DVD camcorders, its good enough for me.

Bob
Old 12 January 2004, 01:03 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Bob,

Good luck with the purchase and your wedding! I'd be interested to hear which model you go for and how you get on with the cam.

Alex
Old 12 January 2004, 01:49 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Alex,

Have taken the advice from the SimplyDV BBS and am now NOT buying a DVD Camcorder. Instead I'm getting a Sony TRV14 (£319) to tide me over untill the new generation camcorders come along.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 12 January 2004, 03:44 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bob,

Can recommend this sony range I have the trv33e and it is superb ... Got it for £510. Make sure you get the trv14"e" so the warrenty is valid, some of the internet sites will sell you a europe model which could be interesting.

Can recommend this dealer

http://www.shoppersworld.co.uk/templ...=68&s2=47&s3=0

Dave.

Trending Topics

Old 12 January 2004, 03:53 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Too late but I'll say it anyway - I saw one of these and was initially tempted by the idea, but 5 mins later realised that they are a step backwards in evolution. Apart from anything else, spinning a DVD takes battery, so it will surely work for a lot less time than one with a memory stick. Better to plug it into a PC and home and burn your DVD - while editing out the crap - using mains power.