Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Atkins (yes, I know!) - is vodka ok?

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2004, 02:25 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading the Atkins book, it seems to suggest that vodka & tequilla have 0 bad carbs.

Does that mean you can drink vodka on atkins or not? With soda of course......and maybe a tiny slice of lemon....

What do you think? I know that no alcohol would be best, but just interested as going to a function so interested...
Old 10 January 2004, 02:42 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Talking

Have checked nutritional sites and yes Vodka is Atkins friendly and so is Vanilla Diet Coke.
Old 10 January 2004, 05:00 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

So you finally caved in to the Atkins Imalch!

Vodka is fine so is gin, white wine is 1g per glass, red is 2g per glass. I boozed heavily through Atkins when I did it last year and dranks loads of coffee, still lost over 2 stone in 2 months.
btw when you are out of the induction period, Guiness is the lowest carb beer (apart from some Michelob sh1te you can't find) 8g a pint.
Old 10 January 2004, 05:14 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

What bit of you is fat imlach?
Old 10 January 2004, 06:38 PM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

i lost a stone in a month on the 'salad and cider diet'.

quite a good one, basically eat meat and salad and only drink cider.

similar to the atkins, just sounds better.

Kevin
Old 10 January 2004, 07:30 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

No vodka or any booze is not ok!! Whilst vodka may have zero carbs it has alcohol and lots of it! Remember you body will (generally speaking) burn of alcohol as its first choice fuel followed by carbs then fat. If you drink booze your body will burn that and not the fat thus reducing the effect of atkins
Old 10 January 2004, 07:50 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

.....but only no booze in first 2 weeks of induction???

Trending Topics

Old 10 January 2004, 08:45 PM
Magic Boot
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm nearly 1 week into my Atkins induction period. I'm still waiting for my Atkins book, which a relative is bringing tomorrow and can't wait. My lack of knowledge of the can's and can't have food and drinks have led me to the following bland week.

Monday

Cup of black instant coffee no sugar

1/2 pack of pre-packed sliced turkey
x2 cups black instant coffee no sugar

Tin of tuna mixed with red leicester cheese
4 pints of water throughout the day

Tuesday

Cup of black instant coffee no sugar

x4 egg chicken omelete

Wednesday

1/2 pack of pre-packed sliced ham
x1 cup of black instant coffee no sugar

4 rashers of bacon
x4 egg scrambled
x1 cup black instant coffee sugar

Thursday

x2 egg scrambled

x3 cups black instant coffee no sugar

x4 eggs fried
x4 rashers of bacon
Small piece of stilton & jarslsberg cheese

Friday

x4 egg scrambled
x1 cup black instant coffee no sugar

x2 egg scrambled with a little tomatoe ketchup

x3 fried tomatoes
x4 rashers of bacon
x3 eggs fried

Saturday

x1 cup black instant coffee no sugar

4 egg omelete with tin of tuna
x3 cups black instant coffee no sugar

x1 large fried chicked thigh with 400g melted stilton cheese
5 pints of water throughout the day.

I weighed myself before playing badminton (which i won convincingly and played with mucho energy) and I had lost 5lbs. Just waiting to get some more food & drink ideas so I can add a little more variety. If i've managed to get through the last few days, the future looks a doddle.

Old 11 January 2004, 08:49 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

My diet consisted of a weight watchers/Slim Fast bar which equalled under 200 calories in the morning if I could be bothered to.
Then I would generally not eat dinner, if I was hungry, have a Slim Fast shake or a soup thing which was another couple of hundred calories.
In the evening (not too late) I would have a white meat such as fish or chicken with a lot of salad and a fat free dressing.
I have quite taken to sushi which is an excellent food type and very, very healthy and tasty.

I would be training every single day (mainly because I am training to get very fit for my class two referee inspection). I have my own exercise equipment the equivalent of a multi gym and a running track literally yards from the house. So I am pretty much set up to ensure I do full training.

I am also taking plenty of vitamin supplements, a herbal concoction diet pill which helps raise the metabolism and get rid of fat before it is stored in the body.

For drinks I would be drinking a sports water high in electrolytes and also green tea.

I have managed to go from just over a size 12 to now a size 10 and still dropping in a matter of weeks. I have toned my muscles very well and lots of people have commented on my weight loss.

It has taken a lot of will power, I have given up alcohol, chocolate and am continuously ensuring that I am not eating fatty foods. High protein, low carbs, low fat, high fibre is the general areas I address.
When I am training or when I am due to do a loarge period of exercise, say when I am refereeing at a weekend I will do a "carb pump" which means I ensure I have adequate energy for my body to cope with the strenuous exercise, but not so much that I have excess.

Sometimes I have misjudged and spent some time feeling lethargic and tired due to too little to eat, but I am starting to get things right and am maintaining a very healthy diet that compliments my stringent training program.

I didn't bother following a diet, I just did my own research with what the foods I wanted to eat contained. I am eating stuff that I enjoy and am losing weight/toning myself up at the same time.
I do feel hungry at times, but I am getting used to it and have programmed my brain and body to ignore the hunger. If it gets too much I will have a nibble on something.

I do occasionally slip....for example, when I eat out, but it no longer matters as I tend to burn it off really quickly anyway.

My personal trainer has been extremely impressed with my progress and congratulated me on reaching a good level of physical condition.

[Edited by Little Miss WRX - 1/11/2004 8:53:03 AM]
Old 11 January 2004, 01:37 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one Michelle nice to see healthy living and exercise works! Strange that with all those diets out there you would have thought there was something wrong with it!
Old 11 January 2004, 01:47 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You can maybe have some vodka in moderation after induction but remember as soon as it hit your guts you body will use it for fuel first.
Old 11 January 2004, 05:06 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I lost 4 stone in 4 months and have maintained it for the last 4 months. The diet lists mentioned above, although Atkins friendly, are a little limited and therefore could lead to you dropping off the diet through boredom. Try some of the following.......

Breakfasts - Full English with turkey sausages (1g/), omlettes (cheese, bacon, chicken, mushroom etc.)

Lunch's - 1/2 cooked chicken, smoked mackerel with leaf salad, any tinned fish (mackerel, sardines, tuna), a fish from the chppy (remove batter)

Dinners - Any meat cut (pork chop, steak, lamb chop/steak, turkey fillet, chicken etc) or fresh fish, served with steamed veg (broccolli, cauliflour, carrot (small amount), asparagus) and mushrooms. Make your own curries (chicken/turkey + onion fried in garlic + pepper, add 1l of fresh cream and Asda pre-mixed Korma spice blend, add mushrooms and simmer for 20mins - Exactly the same for Rogan Josh except the spice blend and use 2 tins chopped tomatoes instead of cream) and serve again with fresh veg.

No bread/pasta/rice/potatoes and avoid alcohol as much as possible, at least until you've lost 1/2 your target. Avoid some cured meats as they're often cured with sugar, but more importantly, they often contain nitrates as a preservative. You might be slim, but you might get cancer too

Good luck with the best diet ever.
Old 11 January 2004, 05:31 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I am considering this diet but somone told me it makes you ride the china horse quite a lot is this true??
Old 11 January 2004, 06:10 PM
Ali Scott
Scooby Regular

Sod it, be fat and happy and drink what you like!!
Old 11 January 2004, 09:01 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Since the middle of December, i've upped the weight training again to very intense levels, and am back to about 75% previous bests already.

I'm consuming about 5,000 calories a day, and can't seem to put on weight quickly enough (only about 17 stone 12lbs at the moment). Anybody got any good recommendations?
Old 11 January 2004, 09:36 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Yep, go on some sh1tty fad diet for a week or three. After the intial weight loss the pounds will pile on.
Old 11 January 2004, 10:29 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Atkins (yes, I know!) - is vodka ok?
yeah it's ace , don't know if it's compatible with an atkins diet though
Old 12 January 2004, 09:19 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

I'm consuming about 5,000 calories a day, and can't seem to put on weight quickly enough (only about 17 stone 12lbs at the moment). Anybody got any good recommendations?
yeah - see a doctor. they will provide help for seriously underweight individuals such as yourself.
Old 12 January 2004, 09:45 AM
ChrisB

I'd recommend pizza and diet coke Tel

My ECG accurate heart rate monitor says I burnt 623 calories spinning at the gym on Saturday morning, with 24% of them being fat (152 cals)
Old 12 January 2004, 10:06 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

My ECG accurate heart rate monitor says I burnt 623 calories spinning at the gym on Saturday morning, with 24% of them being fat (152 cals)
out of interest, how could a heart rate monitor possibly know whether your body is burning fat, metabolising muscle, burning carbs or what? surely the monitor is just guessing that when you're exercising between 60-70% of your mhr, you're burning fat?
Old 12 January 2004, 10:19 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AFAIK no HRM can. It works on zones, so I guess Chris means he spent 24% of his workout in his own fat-burning zone.

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 1/12/2004 10:31:04 AM]
Old 12 January 2004, 10:32 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

If you want to find out your personal heart rate training zones accurately, then you should get a blood lactate test.

Stefan
Old 12 January 2004, 10:52 AM
ChrisB

Ah, just the person... Ozzy

It did occur to me that and I went off for a Google but couldn't find much to give me a clue if it was a rough guess or not. This seemed one of the better articles.
Old 12 January 2004, 11:35 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

It's not quite a rough guess, but obviously people are different. Whether it's their age, weight or current fitness levels, it all has some impact on their HR training zones.

The two best methods of working out these are the VO2 max test and the Blood Lactate Test.

First one determines what your maximum heart rate actually is (since you are tested to exhaustion). The 2nd increases your effort and records the amount of lactate (lactic acid) in your blood. Lactate is the bi-product from muscle contractions and the more you have, the more you will fatigue.

It all depends on your training goals or specific sport since you can train your body to become more lactate tolerant. The key though is knowing how to train and you need accurate zones to determine this.

Of course, most of this is for serious athletes (either professional or amateur) but it does help understand what your body is up to.

The std maximim HR calculation and training zones are good enough for the majority and you will burn calories regardless of the zone your working in.

The main difference, is how quickly they are burned (for the same time - hence the walk vs running comparison) and how this will affect your performance. Your body will burn tons of calories if you exercise at 80% of your MHR, but you can't keep that up for that for much long. Likewise, you could exercise all day at 60% MHR, but do you really want to?

I see loads of folk in the gym on rowing machines or steppers and they're hardly moving. In fact there's times when it looks like they've fallen asleep and it's only momentum that's moving their arms and legs. Sure they're burning calories, but if they just put in some more effort they'd burn a lot more in their 20 mins.

Stefan
Old 12 January 2004, 11:40 AM
ChrisB

Thumbs up

Cheers Ozzy - as helpfull as ever
Old 12 January 2004, 04:21 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Yep, go on some sh1tty fad diet for a week or three. After the intial weight loss the pounds will pile on.
Hmmm is that so
Old 12 January 2004, 04:23 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Uh-oh.

Tim, it was a JOKE. A JOKE i tell you. HONEST!!! *Please* don't start - we all know you've had your surname changed by deed-poll!!
Old 12 January 2004, 04:39 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

lol

I may be the exception to the rule but it did work

BTW remember this??

Next update 3 months time, just after Xmas! If you can get through the festive period without it all going pear-shaped (literally!), i think you can rightly claim it has been a lifestyle transformation
2lb’s mate and that because of the massive quantity of beer I put away
Old 12 January 2004, 04:43 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Smile

I thought of resurrecting it, but it seemed to have gone all quiet on Atkins recently, so i assumed interest had generally waned. If you're still sticking with it, and it's still working, good news.

Are you being checked by a doctor to make sure there are no symptoms of any of the claimed negative side-effects?
Old 12 January 2004, 04:56 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Not on it anymore mate, I was only on it 3.5 months and I lost nearly 4 stone. I’ve been off it about 4 months and the only weight gain I have seen has been over Xmas which I will rectify the "normal" way by cutting back on the Christmas cake, turkey sandwiches and BEER. I went to the doctors a couple of months back and had my cholesterol, blood pressure and a few other tests’ and everything checked out OK.