Insurance: an utter money making scam!

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2003, 11:42 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Well, now I'm REALLY p*ssed off.

Last summer I posted about not being able to get my 17 year old on my car insurance, as both cars were in too high a group........our Xantia 2.0 HDi is in group 13 while a 206 HDi is in group 6[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I didn't even bother asking for the Scoob.

So now we decide he can buy himself a little car, not worth owt so he can insure TPFT, and go out with me in it until he passes. He's failed twice due, IMHO to insufficient road time.

What do we find?

Quotes of £2100 to £2600 to insure a car worth £350!! A 1.1 Fiesta at that.

Thers is absolutely NO WONDER that loads of young kids are out on the roads without insurance. Not when the fines are about 1/8 of the cost of insurance!!!

What the hell can normal people do to get onto the insurance ladder? He certainly can't afford to pay that amount, he only earns £3000 pa on an apprenticeship!!!
A very annoyed Alcazar[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 29 December 2003, 11:43 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you try Tesco?
Old 29 December 2003, 11:45 AM
sti555
Scooby Regular

try this site:

www.confused.com

stick in all your details.. check your email a couple of hours later & you will have loads of quotes when you log back on the site, some stupid, some ok, then call the decent ones & haggle!

Hope you get it sorted, quite a few years back I got insured on a nova 1.2, aged 17 with 7points in my own name tpft for around £1200 with hyperperformance insurance...

Old 29 December 2003, 11:46 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

No, I've tried my own insurers, (L&V), and a broker who searched over 80 companies.
I'll have a look at Tesco, thanks.

Alcazar
Old 29 December 2003, 11:50 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

New driver equals very high risk and with people suing for a sprained little finger they have to cover thiers costs. Pain in the bum but I don't think thats unfair.

I'm in a similar position and my gfs daughter should pass her test soon but I cringe at the premium so I'm trying to find the smallest lowest group car to insure third party only.

AllanB
Old 29 December 2003, 11:50 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I used my one of my parent's cars for my first couple of years of driving. When I bought my own first car insurance policy (about 10-ish years ago), I was awarded a NCB equivalent to the duration I was driving their car. i.e. to recognise the experience, if not the purchase of insurance.

I've no idea how common that is/was. If it still happens, then would that not be a viable alternative? Insure the Festa yourself, and add him as a named driver. That has to be cheaper, doesn't it? Maybe you could do that for a year or two just to give him a bit of a head start...?
Old 29 December 2003, 11:53 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

You migth find it's something daft pushing it up. If u get another rediculous quote from Tesco, try asking them if there is anything being declared which might be making it rocket. I did that and got my renewal down from 2600 to 1800.

If you are a named driver, get off you can drive it on your insurance, Tesco don't seem to like named drivers. Put my insurance down £300 when i removed my mom (no claims/points).

I'd say you should be looking at less than 1200.

Andy
Old 29 December 2003, 12:05 PM
AdamK_Cupra
Scooby Regular

try elephant.co.uk

i am young and have a less than perfect record and they are the only ones who can do me a decent price. under my own name by adding my parents as second drivers it knocked £300 off the price.
Old 29 December 2003, 12:52 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Don't take too much notice of the insurance group the car is in.

My old Fiesta (1 litre) cost about £10 less than the replacement Pug 309 1.6 litre! There was a 2 group difference.

The reason given (I queried it, as I couldn't believe the small difference) was that Fiestas are popular among 18 year olds, and Pug 309s aren't. Consiquently, there are less claims on them than the Fiestas - result In other words - find something unpopular!

It should be noted also that my girlfriend could insure a Honda S2000 for less than a classic Impreza. (I'm not complaining )
Old 29 December 2003, 12:54 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

...quite! I could have insured a 911 Carrera or even a Griffith for less than I've paid for my Impreza insurance .
Old 29 December 2003, 01:11 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Nip into insurance forum. There have been a few threads about this sort of thing. I started one under "Teenage Car Insurance" some weeks back as I was in same boat but with daughter rather than son. I think you ought to get insurance down to say "only" £1200 or so if he is living at home. I agree bloody nightmare but teenage accident statistics are pretty horrendous and a £350 Fiesta does as much damage as anything else if it happens to collide with a £40k Merc or whatever. Good luck. DL
Old 29 December 2003, 02:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers for all replies, and support.
I honestly hadn't realised what a minefield insurance was/is.

So far, I can get a quote from Tesco for £400 TPFT, with him as named driver, BUT, they never asked me if it was a second car...surely this will put the insurance up?
And how am I supposed to declare that on an internet site, if it doesn't ask? Does that become their problem??

Alcazar
Old 29 December 2003, 02:22 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Err...no, you don't want to go down the route of deceit!
Just because the internet site doesn't let you state it as a 2nd car means that it is their problem!

Given high probability of a claim, you want to be 100% certain of the details you have given them!
Old 29 December 2003, 02:26 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Some sites do ask if the driver has use of other vehicles. Others ask how many other cars there are in the household. Some ask both (IIRC). If this particular insurer hasn't asked, then I don't see a problem. It's true that you would be in the wrong to withhold certain information (like previous convictions, etc) - but in this case, it's nothing like that.
Old 29 December 2003, 02:31 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

get a classic mini £450 fully comp unlimited miles with footman james

i got the GT6 for bigga POWER. (£950)
Old 29 December 2003, 03:41 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

if it's a second car presumably you put zero no claims bonus? As your current car would have the discount applied.

So if you did this it should be OK.
Old 29 December 2003, 03:59 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Fiat 500..ultra cheap insurance.

Old 29 December 2003, 04:05 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Red face

Insurance-total fecking rip off. My 1.1 fiesta cost me 600quid and that was with a bonus accelerator thingy. Tesco are defo not the cheapest. Norwich union or whatever they are called are the cheapest for young male drivers (ive been told).
Old 29 December 2003, 04:15 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

This is why I never got my own insurance until I was around 26. Tried to get a quote on an E Reg Micra, back in, oooh, the dark ages, and they wanted 2000 then!

Major nark take here is that I'm being classed as a new driver, so my 8yrs NCB is ignored as is my 11yrs of driving experience, not good at all, am not happy. I'm paying $3000 for a 92 Passat, so that's about 1500 quid, and what did I pay for my modded WRX Wagon? 937 quid, so I'm seriously narked off.

We know it's all due to personal injury claims, but something really needs to be done about this, apart from getting fecked in the *** when why purchase a new car, then fecked by road tax, then by stealth tax, sorry, 'speed' or 'safety' cams, you get fecked by insurance companies too.

I can easilly understand why people just don't bother with insurance. I had an accident, someone forced me off the road, and I did quite a bit of damage to my car, I did not claim as I knew if I did, I'd not be able to insure the car the next year, and sod that, I enjoy my car, grrrrrr.

rant over, off to have a latte to chill out
Old 29 December 2003, 04:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

This is why I never got my own insurance until I was around 26. Tried to get a quote on an E Reg Micra, back in, oooh, the dark ages, and they wanted 2000 then!
And the problem now is that the insurance companies have got wise to people putting kids on their insurance, so they just load the policy for the youngest named driver.

£2600 for a Fiesta 1.1, TPFT, in my name, I ask you?[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Is there any wonder that the Yellow Pages, even in my area, runs to over 60 pages of ads for insurance companies?

alcazar:
Old 29 December 2003, 04:27 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

No offfence but I think the more insurance they charge younger,higher risk drivers the better it is for the majority of lower risk ones.
As people were passing their tests when I was at school,pretty much all of them had a bump within months of passing their test which justifies the high cost IMO.My brother struggled to find insurance on a 1L Fiesta and moaned like f*** about it,even after I pointed out that he's had 2 fault accidents doing £8k of damage in the first and writing off the car he was in the second time.
These high prices forced me to put off learning to drive until I was 23 and then insurance was anyhting from £400 TPFT to over a grand FC I'm paying now on a group 19/20.
We'd all moan if the cost was spread out over all customers rather than penalising those who claim the most frequentl/amount.

Edited to add that I agree about the fines for no having insurance being less than the actual cost of it.A complete joke.

[Edited by skiddus_markus - 12/29/2003 4:29:09 PM]
Old 29 December 2003, 04:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

Yeah, I can go with you there, but I'm certain that I read an article the other day in some rag or other which stated that the Government , since it insists on TP insurance as a minimum, could set up a scheme for everyone where TP insurance wouldn't cost anyone more than £400 per year, and most considerably less.

They won't do it, since the insurance companies are making so much profit from it.

Alcazar
Old 29 December 2003, 04:48 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

actually i don't think the insurance co.s are making that much money from it. the only people who will insure our fleet at work are lloyds syndicates. every year so far, claims have exceeded premium, and our premium has gone up (massively) year on year as a result. the sad fact is that there are a lot of cars about - people have prangs the whole time. personal injury claims have pushed up the cost of the average claim, as has the design of modern cars meaning more panels and parts have to be replaced in the average prang. where ther is no third party, we don't even bother to make a claim anymore, just pay it ourselves. christ knows where the whole thing is going. eventually employers/public liability and vehicle insurance will be the biggest area of costs to businesses.
Old 29 December 2003, 06:33 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

The profitability of underwriting must be very patchy. For example, the reason I was given for my Impreza insurance (renewed in November) costing about 190% what it did last year, was that payout rates for Imprezas have soared. My last underwriter found that they were paying >100% premium/revenue out on Impreza policies. Therefore they hiked premiums.

The sad fact is that young, inexperienced drivers have (proportionately) a lot of accidents - resulting in a lot of claims.