Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Making a copy of a video?

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2003, 03:13 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No idea, at all . Or even if its possible.

Cheers

Si
Old 15 December 2003, 03:15 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Bit vague.

Copy VHS to VHS.
Copy VHS to PC + then to DVD or VCD.
DVD to PC.

etc.

anything's possible

[Edited by Dracoro - 12/15/2003 3:15:51 PM]
Old 15 December 2003, 03:16 PM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

Do you mean copy VHS to VHS

If so it is possible, just connect to VHS recorders together, select the channel(something like in aux) on the VHS you wish to record and press record and start to play the video you wish to copy from.
Old 15 December 2003, 03:22 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

VHS to VHS sorry

Ill give it ago then.

Si
Old 15 December 2003, 03:26 PM
homer lawtey
Scooby Regular

Sometimes it won't work copying an original. This is because the start of each line on the picture is coded with a 'blip' of volts. To prevent copying these 'blips' are a higher voltage on copywrited videos. The result is rubbish picture on the copy. There is a box of tricks available to stop this happening, don't know what they're called or where you can get one from though.

Steve
Old 15 December 2003, 03:36 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

VHS to VHS won't work if it's a pre-recorded video you are trying to copy. The original will be Macrovision encoded, so every few seconds the colour will invert and the picture will loose synchronisation. There are two ways around this:

1, VCR with time-base corrector (v. expensive).

2, As previously suggested in this thread, a box of tricks that goes between the two VCRs that strips out the Macrovision signals. These cost about £50 and can be bought from places like CPC. The one made by DataVideo is pretty good.

Cheers, Ming.
Old 15 December 2003, 03:45 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

why dont you just copy it via a tv??

vcr- tv - vcr2

then you dont get an encoding problem because you are just recording the output from the tv ratyher than from the first video player
Old 15 December 2003, 03:48 PM
V45DSM
Scooby Regular

This is because the start of each line on the picture is coded with a 'blip' of volts. To prevent copying these 'blips' are a higher voltage on copywrited videos.
Just how does one encode 'blips of voltage' to magnetic tape? Pray tell...
Old 15 December 2003, 04:31 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

VCR-TV-VCR will only work if you record via the aeriel sockets, which will give lousy quality. If you go VCR-TV-VCR through the SCART sockets, it gives the same problem because the TV does not decode then re-encode the signal.

Macrovosion is not 'a blip of volts' as such. It is a deliberate disturbance/distortion of various parts of the video signal to cause the recording VCR to loose colour lock and/or horizontal and vertical sync. These disturbances/distortions CAN be recorded onto the magnetic tape.

Typical Macrovision schemes (there a various different ones) include taking the reference black level below the sync tip, omitting equalising pulses in the vertical flyback period, omitting/truncating the colour burst etc. etc. Some of these schemes DO affect the picture on a TV, but usually only for the first few picture lines of each frame, which tend to be 'off the top of the screen', and hence invisible.

Macrovision have also been very clever about stopping the manufacturers of the signal stabilisers (boxes that correct the disturbances and/or put back the missing signals). Essentially, for every one of their protection schemes, they have patented every conceivable means of defeating it. Thus, with the exception of those based in China etc., every manufacturer of such gadgets gets sued for patent infringement. Cunning!
Old 15 December 2003, 04:51 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I record VHS to VHS I connect the two VCRS up together using a scart lead and press play one and record on the other. I haven't ever tried it on pre-recorded videos though so I don't know if there are any issues there. You can also do it with a simple coax connection making the recording VCR think the signal coming in is an ariel

Paul
Old 15 December 2003, 05:09 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Examples of video copyboxes here and here.

[Edited by dr_ming - 12/15/2003 5:21:04 PM]
Old 15 December 2003, 05:21 PM
homer lawtey
Scooby Regular

How stuff works

I was almost there with the pulses
Old 15 December 2003, 05:23 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

I used to work for a company that made the copy boxes. That's how I know you get sued for patent infringement by Macrovision
Old 15 December 2003, 05:25 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The trick with VHS to VHS was to use old Hitachi VCR's, as they weren't affected by Macrovision. Scart to scart with very good quality and stereo sound. I made a fortune at school as the kid who could get the latest pirates. Can now copy DVD to VHS getting superb (better than pre-recorded VHS) quality regardless of Macro with a Techtronics chipped scart lead, but only do it for my own benefit. I buy anything really good, and copy the average stuff from Blockbuster/borrowed. Looking into DVD burners and related software, but TBH, I can't be @r53d anymore and usually just buy it.

Edited to add, most JVC SVHS-ET VCR's have Time Base Correction from around £150 up.

[Edited by corradoboy - 12/15/2003 5:29:02 PM]
Old 15 December 2003, 05:40 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

You can SEE Macrovision if the picture rolls – part of it is the square white block of dots in the bit of the picture just off the top of the pic (the vertical blanking interval as it is snappily entitled – Dr Ming will understand

If you are copying your kid in the park video fine & you’ll have no bothers; otherwise you are naughty boy

Copying via the TV was mentioned, but I cant see how this will work – you don’t get RF out on TV’s do you, and if you do it’s a loop through. Hmmm?

D