Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pavlov's Dogs?

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2003, 01:46 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Following on from my thread in which I exposed the idiocy of the mobile telephone market in the UK, I wonder why the govt felt it necessary to bring in a law banning people from using hand held mobiles while driving? Now everyone wants hands free kits so they can carry on their empty headed jawing.
After all presumably people can exercise some self-restraint and not answer their phones.
This got me thinking, I notice that people seem to be slaves to these devices, mobile and home based. They ring and then in a response that would put Pavlov's dogs to shame they will do almost anything to answer their phones no matter how innapropriate the moment. Think of the people who answer their phones in the cinema, people who will abandon their dinner to answer their master, moronic people who'll interrupt their driving to talk on the phone, getting out of the bath dripping wet to stop the thing ringing, even people who in the middle of love making stop to answer the phone (guessing at this one being plausible). I'm sure there are cases of people literally dying to answer their phones Darwin awards stylee.

Do you like to be reduced to mere automatons? The f*cking thing will wait until it's a more convenient time, at least it does in my life.
Old 15 December 2003, 01:53 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

have to agree with you, although i do have a mobile i refuse to take it out when im in the pub

will never get out the bath to get the phone, or stop in the middle of doing the wild thing with the gf to get the phone.

some **** had a mobile go off in the cinema the other night, muppet sat there talking to his mate telling him where he is and what hes doing!!! HANG UP

people who work for us have mobiles now, its becoming a real problem, ringing during work hours etc. dads to nice, believes the women should be allowed to answer their phones in case its their kids. whereas i believe that if it was a real emergency then they could phone through to the factory and be put through. A lot of the calls that they answer could have waited until breaks or when they finish. << pet peeve
Old 15 December 2003, 01:53 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

The ones that stand outside in the freezing cold in shirt sleeves to get sufficient signal to talk amuse me.

UB
Old 15 December 2003, 01:54 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Nacro,

Exactly - I only answer mine if I want to answer it. What gets me is the people that then keep ringing every five minutes - can't they understand that mobile technology allows me to see they've rung and that I've missed (or ignored ) their call.

Notice to numbskulls - I will ring you back when I'm ready not when you are.

tiggers.
Old 15 December 2003, 02:16 PM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

Yep depends if I want to answer the call or if I know what it's about. If I'm expecting a call then I'll no doubt do MOST of the above to grab my phone, never answered the mobile during sex tho to be fair that is a little over the top.

On the over hand when I don't wanna talk my phone is on silent and sits next to me flashing
Old 15 December 2003, 02:21 PM
Luke
BANNED

I will always leave a restaurant to make receive a call.
Old 15 December 2003, 02:31 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Cool

I always remember to turn my phone back on when leaving a restaurant.
Old 15 December 2003, 03:28 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Angry

Some muppet's mobile phone rang in the graveyard during my cousin's funeral.... and... he answered it, while moving away from the rest of the mourners. At the worst possible time, just when her coffin was being lowered into the ground.
Old 15 December 2003, 03:32 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Funny if it was Him Upstairs ringing to say "it's your turn next..."
Old 15 December 2003, 03:33 PM
V45DSM
Scooby Regular

I used mine in hospital once and it set off some old blokes heart montior. Hours of fun.
Old 15 December 2003, 03:40 PM
homer lawtey
Scooby Regular

I've stopped in the middle of sex to answer my works mobile

But then I was paid to be the on-call engineer at the time, and we had tight call-out times that wouldn't wait another 30 minutes for a response (cough, cough, splutter).

Steve
Old 15 December 2003, 03:40 PM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

Angry

What really annoys me is the people on prepay and who ring 3times and then cancel the call to get you to call back because I have free minutes. When will they realise I pay for my "free" minutes in my contract price!
Old 15 December 2003, 03:57 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

By using the Pavlov's Dogs metaphor you have answered your own question... people answer their phone because they perceive that answering the phone is of benefit to them, maybe more benefit than whatever they are doing at the time.

This could be because people like talking on the phone, they rely on the phone for work etc.

As for me, I'm like you, I hate talking on the phone and consequently it takes lower priority than most things!
Old 15 December 2003, 04:06 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Pavlov's hounds weren't always rewarded however-sometimes they were punished.

Anyway all this talk of Pavlov's canine buddies has made me want to post this: PavlovHound
Old 15 December 2003, 04:10 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I guess its also true then that people feel compelled to answer their phone because they feel something bad will happen if they don't... i.e. fired for not taking calls

good link btw!
Old 15 December 2003, 04:31 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nothing to do with me...
Old 15 December 2003, 04:40 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Some stupid dotty old aunt on the wifes side left her mobile on at our wedding and guess what......yep right in the middle of the ceremony it got louder and louder as she fumbled around in her huge old womans handbag.