Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Nasty Accident

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2003, 08:54 AM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Just finished a night shift. Been at a fatal accident with body parts strewn all over the place most of the night, so not feeling too good.

Going to bed now, but don't expect to get too much sleep. Would appreciate a few funnies to raise a smile when I get up, so try your best!

Old 06 December 2003, 08:10 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Where do you work !!!

Sounds horrendous, have a nice big whisky and get some sleep.
Old 06 December 2003, 11:30 PM
Chris29
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

You getting a liason officer involved? You getting help? It hit me like a sack of sh*t about two days after it happened. No macho bullsh*t mate i wailed for hours! Just let it out geezer, aint worth having a breakdown over. If strugglin give us an e-mail!

Chris.
Old 06 December 2003, 11:50 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Sounds like your one of the services???

dont take this the wrong way...but...

i have to bite my tounge... you guys go to these incedents as part of your job, and you are offered counciling.

Spare a thought for the undertakers, thats all they get all day and night..i used to do it for a living,, we didnt get the option of councilling, its was just thats the job take it or leave it...

i can honestly say only 2 bad dreams in 6 years

I know its hard, but on a lighter note.....

your top ten films...

invasion of the body snatchers

alien

evil dead

The hitcher....

you gotta laugh or you'l crack ..

mart

Old 06 December 2003, 11:52 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I don't think all this Liason Officer/Post Incident Debriefing is worthwhile.
They have lots of evidence now (especially after 9/11) that it impairs the normal reaction & recovery process.
Tell your mates about it & laugh it off.
Works for me.
Old 07 December 2003, 12:14 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Imsbman,I have seen some **** in past which disturbed me so much that I couldnt ease for months.Please take it easy.**** happens.keep your mind busy n try to have some sleep.
Take care.
Old 07 December 2003, 07:43 PM
Chris29
Scooby Regular

Good for you Mart. Hope you enjoyed your work.

Only problem is mate you were only called when they were dead, mine (5 year old boy hit by pr*ck driving too fast. He had just got sweets while out with mum and brothers) wasn't dead when i got there. He took 2 hours to die and i was there the whole time. Go on son laugh it up, hope it never happens to you!

Anyone out there thinks we can just laugh it off are right to a certain extent, most of us have the sickest sense of humour, but some things are too much.

I've given up reacting to people on this board slagging us but to say that its our jobs and we should gt on with it? Please, have we sunk to new lows?

Trending Topics

Old 07 December 2003, 08:04 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Good post Chris.
You are right. People can see bodies on www.rotten.com & think it is no big deal. Even interesting maybe. They don't hear the screams or fear of them dying, or their family and friends panicking.
It isn't emotional for them
Old 07 December 2003, 08:24 PM
AdamK_Cupra
Scooby Regular

i went to 2 sudden deaths last night. nothing too bad, only old people dieing of natural causes, but it still ain't nice having all these people crying all around you and your just sitting there not knowing what to say.
Old 07 December 2003, 10:02 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

And if you work for the Sco***** Ambulance service there isnt any councilling offered anymore which is a bit of a bugbear of mine, leaving themselves wide open to being sued as they made such a big deal of it when it was offered couple of years ago, having to sign letters and return them after fatals but these have gradually dried up! And I agree with Chris, if most people heard the banter and jokes that go about after these type of jobs they would be horrified/disgusted, its a defence mechanism thing, as for the suggestion that it is part of the job and to just get on with it, yes it is but it is not an EVERYDAY part of the job and as such you never really get hardened to it.
Old 07 December 2003, 10:09 PM
yoza
BANNED

We all have a defence mechanism to traumatic events.

Myself, I believe Im not actually at the event, I just watching from afar. PS. Im not in any rescue service, hats off to those who are.

For those of you who are, dwell on the times you have saved peoples lives, or helped people out, Dont dwell on the bad events.
Old 07 December 2003, 10:21 PM
Chris29
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yeah, i have it easy compared to the ambulance boys and girls, they get every accident at least with us its a lottery whether you're first there and deal etc. Big respects to those people and without body armour as well!!!
Old 08 December 2003, 12:51 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

The point of my post wasnt to have a pop, but to point out, we never had counciling offered unlike other services,

Chris29 i agree certain aspects of the job have the more unpleasant sides,

but it cuts both ways,,, you may find people dying, but try 5 funerals in one day , remember they are looking to you (us) for support we (you) are not a bottomless pit of emotional support..

and i agree it can be tough.... the way i looked at it was, the day it got to me , would be the day i quit...

funny enough i left cos the money was crap,, the job was great and it had its funny moments,

I suppose the only way to llok at it is to accept life goes on... however hard it can be....

mart
Old 10 December 2003, 03:44 PM
wazza2770
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well well another fatal, yep in TVP we have been very busy with fatals so what are we going to do about them. Thats life and we will get them occurring all of the time. Nasty ones to deal with but after 20 years or so you begin to think you gat use to them then another one more worse than the last comes along and hey you feel like **** again. Stiff uperlip, have a joke or two amongst your mates and get over it.
Take care out there.
Oh the only scoobies in our force are the ones we are chasing and we do from time to time catch a few NOT MANY but hey its a great car just a shame they are so easy to steal, they must be one of the easiest cars coz they are stolen daily WHY?
Old 13 December 2003, 08:10 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Mart,

With all due respect, you cannot compare an undertaker's task of removing the remains, to that of the Police officers dealing at the scene with a dying person.

Is councelling really necessary for the person who puts the remains into a body bag and deposits it at the morgue?

Dealing with the dead, as you should know, is a job that mortuary attendants, pathologists, undertakers etc very quickly become detatched from and most think nothing of it. Its a credit to their professionalism.

Excuse my bluntness, but post mortem, undertakers are not dealing with a "person", simply a carcass. This makes things easier to deal with....

Try arriving at the scene when you have 4 people trapped in a car, dying in front of you and there is nothing you can do to help them.

Anyway, Undertakers go into the job knowing full well what it entails, and I have never met one yet that has been affected by uplifting the remains from a scene.

Police officers do not join the Police Force to deal with dying/dead people. It is an unfortunate part of the job, but far from every day stuff.

BTW, if I were as well paid as the extremely profitable Funeral business, I'd need less councelling after dealing with traumatic deaths!

Old 13 December 2003, 10:37 AM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Did you ever watch that show on BBC1 a few months back, Life of Grime it was called. There was a bloke who worked in a mortuary who was handling dead bodies all the time, it never used to bother him with except when it came to children. I don't think there are many people in this world who wouldn't be affected by seeing dead children either at the scene or on the coroners slab.
Trouble is when you are dealing with the incident you are so pumped up to take in what's happening, it's only when you go back home to your family that it really kicks in.
Delayed shock can last for along time.
Old 13 December 2003, 11:28 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Trouble is when you are dealing with the incident you are so pumped up to take in what's happening, it's only when you go back home to your family that it really kicks in
True. At the time, everybody is looking to you to sort the incident out, even the other emergency services. You can see the relief on their faces. You just stay focused on the task & do the job as quickly & as professionally as you can.

I went to a house fire once where kids died. It wasn't far from where I lived. The morning after I went to my local shops & everyone was just going about their everyday normal routines. It freaked me out that people were oblivious to what had happened virtually on their doorsteps.
In the papers it said the kids had died in their sleep from smoke inhallation, but that wasn't true. I will never forget the smell, or what I saw that night. I didn't sleep for 3 days. My mind just couldn't switch off. I just kept replaying the events in my mind.
I can certainly understand how it can push some people over the edge.

Darren

[Edited by Daz34 - 12/13/2003 11:30:20 AM]
Old 13 December 2003, 02:50 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

True. At the time, everybody is looking to you to sort the incident out, even the other emergency services. You can see the relief on their faces. You just stay focused on the task & do the job as quickly & as professionally as you can.
Who are we talking about here? I am assuming you are talking about Police, if our area is typical at RTA's the police have very little if anything to do with patients/victims at the scene, if they ever are there before the ambulance they are generally directing traffic or looking for witness statements, I have never gone to a patient yet to find a cop treating them,
Dont want to get drawn into the age old debate about my jobs worse than yours as everyones jobs have situations that affect people and not always the obvious ones, but I would like to refer to the post about being paid as much as the undertakers that came from a cop?? A cops monthly payment with 20 years in is equal to our workin wage ffs!
Gary
Old 13 December 2003, 02:57 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Who are we talking about here? I am assuming you are talking about Police
No

[Edited by Daz34 - 12/13/2003 3:00:22 PM]
Old 13 December 2003, 03:20 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Would appreciate a few funnies to raise a smile when I get up, so try your best!
Is this your best? Pffft, i swear you people are so full of ur own self importance. Youre like kids aruguing over whos dad is bigger ffs. Keep it on topic or start ur own bitchy thread [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Anyway, chin up m8, hope this seemed a little better in the morning and i dont blame you for avoiding this thread after the childish outbursts
Old 13 December 2003, 03:30 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Boro,

Well said mate - I can't believe the way this thread has gone - all that my job is worse than your job, but I get paid less BS. Valid points maybe, but not for this thread.

Yours bewildered,

tiggers.
Old 13 December 2003, 03:46 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 13 December 2003, 04:02 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

well on the offchance you haven't seen it b4 amusing cyber link totally off topic & made me laugh so worth a try
Si
Old 13 December 2003, 04:29 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

PMSL @ that

Thats more like it
Old 13 December 2003, 10:52 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Talizman??

find your comments bemusing. you would be suprised if you spent some time with an undertaker to find out what the profession entailed. i could spend many an hour swopping anecdotes about the job, and the boys in blue, who could always dissapear to check somthing as soon as we turned up!!! i can certainly count on one hand the amount of law enforcement persons who would spend any time in the local mortuary..

In some respects you had an easier time. one you had done your bit you could move on.. no two days being the same so to speak.

unfortunatly for us as i pointed out we offered a service that entailed support near on 24/7 certainly my call out rota was!!

as you said earlier its all about professionalism (spelling i know) you have the option of having counselling for traumatic situations,, we didnt back then, and as far as i know still dont. i suppose the best way to look at it is... why did you take up the profession you do.... probably for the same reason i
did...

Mart
Old 14 December 2003, 04:37 AM
Carter
Scooby Regular

Mart - shut the f*ck up or start another thread. You big donkey's ****.
Old 14 December 2003, 12:17 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

oh you lot really make the community so much nicer
if you really must swear click here lol
Si
Old 14 December 2003, 01:02 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Or click this
Thanks
Old 15 December 2003, 09:45 AM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

Thanks to those of you who offered support. I'm fine thanks.
Unfortuantely I have had plenty of experience of dealing with death, but that RTA was the goriest I had been to for a long time, hence the original post.
A few days later, I was given a good kicking by some drunken tw*t, so the pain and bruises have taken my mind off it!!