Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sunday drivers.

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2003, 10:52 AM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

So, I've just driven in to work and would just like to comment about Sunday drivers.

AAAARGH, AAAARGH, AAAARGH and AAAARGH again.

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO INDICATE ON A SUNDAY.
YOU CAN MOVE YOUR HEAD SLIGHTLY TO LOOK IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.
IT IS PERMISSABLE TO OCCASIONALLY GLANCE IN YOUR WING MIRRORS.
YOU DO NOT APEX ROUNDABOUTS>

Ah, that's better.

Barely holding on to sanity. Blobster
Old 23 November 2003, 01:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Sunday?? At least thgere are SOME normal folk out in cars on Sundays.
Round here, you should try being out in your car when most folk are at work, and the school run has finished.
ALL you get is pensioners doing 20mph less than the limit, in the middle of the road, not indicating, never looking in mirrors etc etc etc.
[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Alcazar
Old 23 November 2003, 01:42 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

So, does the boss know your on the internet when you should be working
Sunday drivers are an everyday occurance in these parts! But on sundays, the special squad come out
chris
Old 23 November 2003, 02:47 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Rofl, Apex roundabouts
Old 23 November 2003, 04:02 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)
Angry

What gets me is when you catch up with a tail back of say 10 cars.
At the front is some sunday driver who couldnt give a to55[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
And for whatever reason, the two or three cars behind deciede they do not want to overtake[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

You end up doing 45mph on a 60.
I hate leap-frogging up the queue.

Its either that or sit there

Greg
Old 23 November 2003, 04:15 PM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

getting in front of them and lighting up the flamer kit sounds good to me
Old 23 November 2003, 05:13 PM
cashy
Scooby Regular

Red face

I always come across the muppets (usually old) who drive at 40mph everywhere, they get to a 30mph zone and carry on doing 40mph.......Get to a A road open stretch of road and do 40mph....

Then when you overtake they slam the brakes on.....

Whats wrong with them.......

RE TESTS AT age 60mph i reckon.

Old 23 November 2003, 05:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
I get loads of drivers like that round here Cashy. It's pretty obvious they're not paying attention or don't know what a national speed limit sign means [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

One handy thing with scoobs is that given a good stretch of road you can go past 4 dawdlers in a row or more in a safe time/distance

Nearly ran into the back of a coffin dodger as I saw a clear stretch of road and took a run up to overtake (not in the scoob ). Just as I was about to go past him, a Laguna (I think) appears doing well over 100mph+ in the opposite direction. Meaning I had to abondon the manouver and slam on the anchors...what made it worse was the duffer in the metro infront braked too!

If he wasn't travelling so slow, I would not have to put myself, and others in potential danger [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 23 November 2003, 07:20 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Its not just where u are cashy.

40 in a 60; an 40 in a 30 here as well.
Old 23 November 2003, 07:22 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Loads of old dears round here that have brand new BIG cars like mercs and volvo's who can't see over the steering wheel and all belong to the 40mph club! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Should'nt be on the road in my view if they can't do the speed...
Old 23 November 2003, 08:58 PM
j_p_h
Scooby Regular

Angry

I thnught that was just me who noticed they slow down at the higher speed limits but as soon as theres a 30 there off.

Pure crazyness.
Old 23 November 2003, 10:35 PM
cashy
Scooby Regular

Red face

and you know if theres a police car parked up watching, who are they gonna pull first?????
Old 24 November 2003, 03:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Ali-B,

What do you understand by the meaning of a national speed limit sign? I always thought it told you the maximum speed you can drive at providing it is safe to do so. Certainly not that you have to drive at that as a minimum speed!

The man driving along in front of you is perfectly entitled to drive more slowly than the local speed limit if he wants to. You certainly do not have a god given right to expect him to drive right up to the limit for your convenience.

If you wish to overtake him, it is your responsiblity to do so in a safe manner providing that you do not exceed the speed limit yourself. You may well have started to overtake him in a safe manner, hopefully you could see far enough ahead to do so when the Laguna driver appeared doing more than 100 mph!, could you really see far enough ahead to be safe in this case? Whose fault is it really that you had to hit the brakes? Yours for not having enough room,or the Laguna driver for driving too fast? How did you estimate his speed anyway? You certainly can't blame the driver in front of you. He was driving along at a safe speed minding his own business when you decided to create the situation. He must have realised by his own observation that you were overtaking when he suddenly saw the Laguna arriving towards you both. How do you know that he was not either trying to decrease the possible impact speed of a nasty accident by slowing down himself,or even slowing down to give you the opportunity to pull in in front of him. You may well have been in his blind spot at the time.

There are so many facets to this incident that I think you are being unfair to the man in front of you. It almost sounds like that you are using his age as an excuse to blame him. Before saying it was all his fault just for being there I think you should look at the whole picture. Do you honestly think it was right if the Laguna driver was at a three figure speed? How responsible should you be to overtake safely?

Les
Old 24 November 2003, 06:06 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Angry

oh here we go...out with the flame throwers

Try and voice a concern and someone flames me..ok if you want it like that, heres go the usual table-tennis match of justifying my actions and opinions and bear in mind, you have no right on judgement on me on a situation that you were not in.

Ok, lets throw in some more detail then shall we (of which I ommited for reasons of being concise, relevance and readability)?

I drive along a section of main road, well known to me. First part is through a village, thus 30mph limit. I encounter this driver as he pulled out infront of me. Not too much of a problem, but there was nothing behind me so if he was in no rush why not pull out behind? Anyway that's irrelevant as he persued to drive along this road, pulling away from me and thus exceeding the 30mph limit [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Now ,there is an island which I turn right on, he did the same, no indication at all [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Afterwards there is a turning to the right, again no indication. The Road opens out into your typical rural main road, and after 2 light bends goes to national speed limit and is relatively straight with few entrances or junctions.

I increase my speed as this road is perfectly safe to drive at the national speed limit. I then catch up with this driver infront, who seemed to have made no adjustemnt in speed since driving out the residential area. What made this slightly more annoying was that upon encountering hills we would slow to speeds as slow as 30mph and never exceeded 40mph. By now, I also have a truck hovering 2ft from rear my bumper. Unfortunately, I am unable to overtake due oncomming traffic, or due me being unable to see the road ahead, now I know the safest overtaking places on this road, and I was approching one. This is a straight section, for which visibility is sufficiant over a long enough distance to overtake safetly, the road bears slightly to the right thus impeeding any visibility beyond that. Normally you can safetly overtake, even when you see a vehicle appear round this bend, in a normal non-turbo () family car. In this case, for me at the time it was an Orion 1.8 16valve Giah, so it's not the slowest of cars.

Obviously I want to go faster, so rather than act out the immaturish behaviour of filling his mirror and driving 2ft behind his bumper (like the truck behind me), I hold back and await for a safe opertunity.

Thanfully the truck turns off at a junction preceding the above mentioned long straight. And as we approach the straight, the road ahead is clear. As I drop into a lower gear, a car appears round the bend in the distance at this point, it is still safe to overtake. So I continue the manouver, It was at the point where I built up some speed (to about 45-50mph) and had literally just entered into the opposing lane when I realised that this car had covered a far greater amount of ground than I anticipated. Now I had a choice, it was possible to continue with the overtake and be able to do it safetly but with increased risk. Or to abandon the manouver. I chose on the side of caution, so I brake and pull back. At this point I was in the opposing lane and my front bumper was about level with his rear bumper. As I pull back in behind him, whilst still braking, I noticed that he was braking by a fair amount thus forcing me to brake alot harder. His speed had reduced back to 30mph (previously 40mph at the point of overtaking), so I had to slow from 45-50 to less than 30 in order to create a gap and not run into him [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

The oncomming vehicle past at a speed on this road that I could only compare to the "weekend warriors" on their bikes. And I know by this straight, just by overtaking you can easily hit 100+mph (I actually have a suspicion I know the Laguna driver too, as he does use that road regularly and it's a company car- which he hates, and often boasted at how he managed to get it up to 135mph etc)

Now perhaps his braking was an attempt to allow me to overtake faster after seeing the oncoming vehicle. But his reactions were far too slow, and weather he SHOULD have braked upon seeing me indicating or performing the manouver is questionable, backing off the accelarator would be more than sufficiant. Perhaps it was just a singular error in judgement.

But I doubt it, as through this drivers lack of observance of a 30mph speed limit and failure adjust speed upon an increase in the limit. Also through lack of using the indictors. And through driving slowing he was an instigator to a potential inccident. If he was in no rush...why drive at 40mph in a 30mph limit?

I however know what the national speed limit means, and under certain conditions, such as bends, dips, hills, junction, houses, entrances, pedestrians, obstacles, obstructions or poor weather conditions etc. I adjust my speed accordingly. And this applies to ANY speed limit enforced. My point is the driver I mentioned failed to do this and seemed to me he driving as if he was still in a 30mph limit! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Phew! I hope that's cleared that, and don't go on about spelling or grammatical errors, as it's far to long for me to check properly!

[Edited by ALi-B - 11/24/2003 7:51:18 PM]
Old 24 November 2003, 07:00 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Angry

as they really need to feking wake up out of their little dream world and realise that other people are on the road and they have 30 cars sitting behind them!

I think there should be a law along the lines of: If a vehicle is travellnig so slowly a queue of more than two vehicles behind are effectively having their progress obstructed, the lead vehicle should be required *by law* to pull over and stop at the first available oppertunity, and let the other vehicles proceed.

Failure to comply should result in on the spot fines progressing to a requirement for a retest.

These people are *dangerous* to other road users because of the amount of frustration they create. Plus they clearly have no regard whatsoever for other drivers.

UB[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[Edited by unclebuck - 11/24/2003 7:02:09 PM]
Old 24 November 2003, 07:14 PM
deanimus
Scooby Regular

Can't be ar$ed with the essays above but Tunbridge Wells appears to be only 2nd to Eastbourne on the coffin dodger count
I know only to well what you mean nearly every road user here is a coffin dodger, For some reason they also seem to be compelled to carry out their daily trip to the corner store during rush hour.
Old 24 November 2003, 07:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

Sorry for the essay, but it was provoked

If you want the jist of it, just read my post previous to that
Old 24 November 2003, 08:03 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)
Angry

During your driving test you are expected to make progress up to the relevant speed limit as the road and conditions dictate.

Failiure to do so is classed as undue hesitancy and will result in failing the driving test.

Apart from that, it should be down to common courtesy.
If you look in your rear view mirror and see a large tail-back,
you should pull over as soon as it is safe to do so.

If you hadnt noticed the tail-back, then you are not paying due care and attention, and thus driving in an unsafe manor.

Moan over

Greg
Old 24 November 2003, 09:00 PM
johnnyFRS
Scooby Newbie

From the Highway code.
145 Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass. http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/15.shtml

Road Users Requiring Extra Care.
192 Elderly drivers. Their reactions may be slower than other drivers. Make allowance for this. http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/20.shtml

Old 24 November 2003, 09:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Since when they sneak rule 192 in there? Surely that's an age-ist remark in this PC world we live in
Old 24 November 2003, 10:36 PM
cashy
Scooby Regular

Talking

During your driving test you are expected to make progress up to the relevant speed limit as the road and conditions dictate.

Failiure to do so is classed as undue hesitancy and will result in failing the driving test.

ABSOLUTELY.............
Old 25 November 2003, 12:37 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Angry

On the M6 and M25 every day there are thousands of drivers failing to get anywhere near to the speed limit How will this new legislation work exactly? Are you allowed to pull over on the motorway to let the queue past? If you did pull over, what time would you expect to set off again?

Anyone who approaches a poorly signed roundabout and is unsure of which direction to take would be fair game to the revenue grabbers.

Chill out, live and let die.
Old 25 November 2003, 12:52 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Angry

What about the ones who brake for no reason - particularly on the slightest kink in the road - idiots!

They were going to bring out a law for those drivers who did not did not do the speed limit. Again there's no scuffers around when you want them...
Old 25 November 2003, 01:39 PM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

Smile

Jesus Christ lads -easy on!!
Old 25 November 2003, 04:38 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Thumbs down

Had to overtake an old git in an estate volvo (always a volvo holding the traffic up) doing 40 mph national speed limit. Perfect conditions etc etc. After being behind him for several miles with oncoming traffic, i take the first opportunity to overtake and hit the horn as i pass.

I also heard the horns of 2 other drivers who overtook him after me and one stuck behind him fuill beaming him.

Old 25 November 2003, 05:34 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Ali-B,

Thanks for your long explanation. I fully understand how you got into the situation of being level with his rear bumper on the right hand side of the road and finding a Laguna approaching at very high speed. You also were sensible to abandon the overtake at the time. I still think you are being too hard on the man you were trying to overtake. Incidentally, what is your opinion of the Laguna driver in all this?

The man was travelling absolutely legally at 40 mph on a derestricted road. he is entitled to drive at that speed if he wishes. If you wish to drive faster you are entitled to overtake in a safe manner. No reason to allow a truck driver behind you to force you into any action either. Yes I know you didn't. I imagine he saw that you had started the overtake in his central mirror. It is almost certain that you were in the blind spot of his right hand mirror when you were level with his bumper. How is he to see exactly where you are when the Laguna suddenly appears at an immense speed. For all he knew, you were trying to complete the overtake so his natural reaction is to slow down to make it easier for you. All he knew was that you were somewhere on his right hand side. It was a situation that was created by your overtake and the excessive speed of the Laguna. I just don't think that he is to blame in any way. I wonder in what respect you meant his reactions were too slow in this case. I have to say that I got the impression that you were using his age as an excuse to blame him.

I like to drive fast just like anyone else who owns a Scooby. 192 in the code is relevant in that older drivers(and many younger ones) do not think so quickly and drive accordingly. This is an inescapable fact of life and it will come to us all. You should think about that. This does not mean that older drivers should be banned from the road, it is our responsibility to show a bit of patience and understanding as far as they are concerned. I get just as frustrated at having to follow slow drivers, heaven knows we have a lot of them around here. It is also very obvious that holiday makers of all ages drive at "grockle" speed on Devon roads-usually 33 mph- because they are not used to our narrower roads. We have to remember that the roads are intended for people to get from A to B and not for racing etc. The traffic laws are weighted in that direction. We have no right to expect to be able to drive as we would like to. As traffic density is going to get worse we will have less chance to drive faster and eventually the only way will be to go to track days.

The quoted remark about the speed during the driving test means that the examiner does not want to see you drive everywhere at 15 mph to make things easy for yourself. He needs to see that you can handle the car at higher speeds. Certainly it has no connection with having to drive up to the speed limit under normal circumstances. Of course you are expected to drive at a reasonable speed to avoid being an obstruction and if you are, then as tractors etc. are expected to do, you should pull over. It happens all the time round here.

Les

Old 25 November 2003, 08:38 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

Cashy-you can talk fella,last time I saw your car it had a trailer on the back and that was on a sunday.I'm pretty sure it was a smokey diesel too.
Old 25 November 2003, 08:57 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I remember many many moons ago during my driving test...I actually got a bad mark because I didn't make good progress!

Which I always found odd as I drove right upto the speed limits during the whole test. And I got no comment about parking 3ft from the curb

(btw I can park a hell of alot better these days )
Old 26 November 2003, 11:53 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well they usually have to think of something to complain about Ali, perhap's that was all he could think of.

Les