Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Radar Detectors in Spain ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2003, 04:12 PM
555 BOY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Out of interest are these legal to use in Spain and if not whats the likely penalties IF caught.

I've never seen any rozzers or cameras over there before I don't think, or have I just been blind lucky ?

Old 20 October 2003, 04:17 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

if by going to spain you are to travel via France, be very careful in france as the penalties are pretty draconian. not sure exactly what but have been warned. anyone care to clarify?

Weava
Old 20 October 2003, 04:32 PM
AndyBrew
Scooby Regular

I know someone who got collared in France and they made him reverse over his Geodessy GPS unit
Old 20 October 2003, 04:39 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

Bast4ards!

can they do that - i would have been unlikely to do so - what are the penaltys?

also what of the shadow technology that supposedly makes detectors undetectable by detector detectors () like that used in Beltronics 550?

Weava
Old 20 October 2003, 04:41 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Mines all hard wired in now including the sensors at the front

Better not go to france
Old 20 October 2003, 05:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

The French police do a lot of checks on cars at Autoroute tolls. They look for evidence of things like that in non-French cars esp performance cars.
I don't know about refusing to reverse over a detector, but they can now take your license for more than 30kph over the posted limit, impound the car for more than 50kph over, and prison is virtually mandatory for that too.

I'd be fairly certain that refusal would result in you going no further, being hauled off to prison until you could be brought up before a justice, and then having the device confiscated and a LARGE fine anyway!

The present Draconian penalties over there are a result of France coming fairly close to the bottom of a road-safety league in Europe, despite having one of the better, and least crowded road systems.
Alcazar

BTW: they're also hammering drink driving, failing to stop at STOP signs etc etc . All carry heavy instant penalties:
Old 20 October 2003, 05:57 PM
rotty
Scooby Regular

Would have thought they would be on shaky ground with the Geodesy as over there it wont do anything ( no database AFAIK )

[Edited by rotty - 10/20/2003 5:57:30 PM]
Old 20 October 2003, 10:52 PM
Deako1
Scooby Regular

Dont forget that the Police in France do pretty much what they want ...because they can get away with it.

The bleeding heart liberals dont rule over there...dont **** with 'em.
Old 21 October 2003, 11:02 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Red face

And ESPECIALLY not the CRS!!!
Alcazar
Old 21 October 2003, 12:59 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

getting back to the subjest in hand - Spain. do not **** with the
Gardier de Seville (sp??). they had a mate of mine - pulled him over, he gets out of car. copper says,"i did not say to you to get out your car, get back in it" - mate does so - copper says, " you are'nt wearing your seatbelt" - gives him a ticket!

sounds like the days of speeding in france are over - about 10-15 years ago, my old man got done for 208 kilometres or 130mph - £90 fine equivalant!

we were in one of the big vauxhall senators.

Weava
Old 21 October 2003, 01:37 PM
Witor
Scooby Newbie

I live in Gibraltar (stuck onto the south of spain), so regularly go there on pleasure/shopping/driving/anything trips.

There is a low police presence (in andalucia anyway) on the roads, and drivers are generally okay (keep an eye on cars pulling out onto main roads/motorways, they can be rather gun-ho at times). They respect fast-lane flashing too.

Generally speaking, on toll roads, one can cruise at 130-140km/h (82-87mph) and the police wont bat an eyelid, 90mph (140-150km/h) aint a problem, if you're driving sensibly (light traffic, good conditions, etc)

anything over 180km/h (112mph) and you risk a large fine, but again, cruising at this speed on a motorway is perfectly possible if conditions are clear. Still haven't seen a gatso/truvelo/speed cam van on the motorways ranging from Gibraltar --> Seville, or Gibraltar --> Malaga. Have driven to Valencia (good 700miles) in 8.5 hours (inc stops) with no problems. (ie, little/no police, sensible driving at those speeds.)

Non-motorway 2-lane roads, are starting to be inhabited by the odd unmarked Renault Laguna/Citroen Xsara sedans with forward facing cameras, so keep an eye on those, especially if they are sticking to the speed limits religiously. Most are white cars.

Generally speaking, over the past 6 years ive been driving, rather spritedly here , ive not had a single ticket. They do clamp down heavily with drink driving round the costa del sol, due to the number of accidents attributed to that round here.

Finally, try and get reciepts for any tickets you may recieve, most will allow you to drive to an ATM to pay up. It's still one of the few places one can enjoy a performance car's err...performance assuming you dont go over the top.

Any other advice you need, let me know.