Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, STS Free party, 11/10/2003

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2003, 09:10 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

With most of the people I know going to tasty, it seemed like a mistake to drive out to darkest Bedfordshire for a rave in a field. However, I knew that STS were organising the party, that not only made the party worth going to, but it also guarenteed the party to go off in a workmanlike manner.
STS are a an organisation who are HIGHLY motivated when it comes to putting free parties together. Generally, they throw one party a month, with the majority of the venues in the Bedfordshire region of the country. I hd already been to two STS parties this year and they had not let me down in the slightest. This one promised to be no different.
So sure of I that it would be good, I made sure I had company before I left my gaff. Paul Zykotic, Rainbow Drops and Grob Le Frog crammed into the motor and we set up off the A1 (M) to met up with Caine. After a brief stayover at Caine's place to finalise the route, we set off to the party location. As with other STS parties, we were in the middle of nowhere, late at night before we turned into the location. We found a place to park on a freshly harvested field and after getting ready for the rave we realised that we still didnt know where it was, so we listened for the Bassline that would lead us to the party.
Despite previous STS events being 100% open air, there was a rumour that this one would be indoors. This turned out to be true as the bassline led us toward the buildings on the farm that we were parked. Eventually we found the stack inside an old barn. After making a donation to the friendly people on the door, we went inside. To our left was the stack. At least 10 ft. tall, it was surrounded by two scaffolding towers with the lighting rig on top, complete with UV cannons and strobes. On the walls were various backdrops which glowed in the UV light. The decks were located behind the stack and at the other end of the barn was the usual sly bar selling water for a very reasonable 50p. inbetween the two were around 3-400 ravers brocking out to the Old skool Jungle which was being rinsed out. The party had started and STS had everything under control. STS were running things like they always do.
Unfortunatly, bad luck was conspiring against them. This was manifested in the form of technical gremlins which saw the stack and its ancilleries shutting down at various points of the evening. At one point the stack and the lighting rig shut down, leaving us with no choice but to leave the barn and wait for the technicians to sort the problems out. This did take a fair amount of time to fix, but once it was sorted the party took off again as if the problems had never happened.
This was mainly down to the blinding tune selection that the DJs were supplying. Anone who has ever moaned about the lack of variety at modern raves would have been kicking themselves for not attending this one. Where else can you stay on the same dancefloor and come across, Ragga Jungle, Newstyle Gabba, 95 classics, Marc Smith and Sharkey's "Truth", that tune off Neophyte's label with Davros ranting on about exterminating everything in sight and KLF's "Doctor Who and the Daleks"? And that was just one set as well. The rest of the night was equally diverse with Hard House, Hard Trance, Old Skool, Acid and classic Techno, and freeform Hardcore all getting a look in at some point. One this was for sure, whatever was playing, the assembled crowd was loving every minute.
The Crowd deserves a special mention here. Earlier on in the night there were more than a few Neds giving it the "Rudebwoy Brockout" to the Jungle and generally making a nuisence of themselves. However, in a manner similar to Camden Palace at around 3am, they all seemed to dissapear when the Jungle did. This left the dancefloor to the Real ravers. At the party kicked off bigtime as around 600-700 ravers went for it together. The best thing was the diversity of the tunes was mirrored by the party people. From the crustiest of crusty hippes to the Ben Sherman and Loafer crew and everybody inbetween, Everybody was determined to have it properly. This dedication was summed up by the 53 seater coach parked in the field outside the rave. I'd give real money to know how the coach organiser persuaded the company to come out to an unknown location whilst the rest of the passengers went up in smoke in the back
Also outside was an open air barn which had been comendeered by the organisers for a second arena. Although they were lacking a second stack, what they did have were three serious lasers which were being flung around the barn to a soundsystem installed in a car!!! Basic it was, but it was definitely effective. Looked really good and the ravers walking past couldnt help but stare.
At around 6 am I was starting to get really tired.I was lagging big style and was ready to go home. But I couldnt. I couldnt because Caine was due on for his hardcore set. It was exactly what I needed to finish off the night. Caine's set was freeform based, playing some blinders including CLSM's "Musica Maquina" and "Sound of the future", Elation Recording's "Code Name Bison" and Ponder's very own "Aurora" and a selection of the man's own tunes such as "eve of destruction" and "Dumbfuk". Even though it was near 7am and people were flaking out left right and centre, Caine kept the party going and then some. The crowd was going totally bonkers at one point, with STS's patented raving mosh pit waking yet another welcome appearence. Caine's set was put on at just the right time and the tightly mixed tunes took us thorough to daybreak in the best possible fashion.
Things I liked:
It was a free party. Even though I made a donation, I still like the price.
When the Neds pissed off the dancefloor was exclusively for party people.
Water at 50p a bottle. These people can teach the moneygrabbing clubs of this world a thing or two about keeping it real.
The mosh pit.
Things I liked less:
The last two STS parties I've been to have been open air, I felt it was warm enough to have one last party outside.
Neds crashing the party and blingin' it up. Tossers.

Every now and again, I need to do this. No licenced event can take the place of a free party, Not knowing who is playing and not knowing if the party is gonna last the night is part of the excitement. A raver cannot call themselves a raver till they have driven for hours into the countryside on the promise of a free party that might not go off, but taking the chance anyways. This was a really good event, STS has done it again. I'll see you next to the stack in a field sometime in the spring.
astraboy.
Shouts to: Paul Zykotic, Rainbowdrops and Grob le Frog, Caine, Lil Kev, Spike, Kickin_k, STS Dave and the dreded up organisers.
Old 14 October 2003, 09:22 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

eh? sorry, i missed that. can u run that one by me again?
Old 14 October 2003, 09:34 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Went to an illegal rave, it was blinding, the end.

astraboy.
Old 14 October 2003, 09:38 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

aahhhhh. makes sense now.

rofpml