Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HR disciplinary procedure for a verbal warning pls

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2003, 11:49 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I need some advice on this. My g/f recently got a verbal warning from work. Without boring you with all the details, she was fall guy for her completely incompetent manageress after a serious customer complaint.

This plus other incidents eventually got me so mad with the g/f's work place that I told her to quit. We now have the exit questionnaire to fill out and I want to put the boot in about the way the disciplinary action was taken.

What I would like to know is in the event of a verbal being necessary like this, from the company side of things what is the correct procedure?

Please only reply with 'fact' rather than opinion as I need to use this information in the letter. If I am going to make a complaint about this women then I best make sure I am right in what I say

TIA

Matt
Old 16 September 2003, 11:53 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

I don't think you can do much about the procedural side of giving a verbal warning. Basically, anyone who has sufficient authority can give a verbal warning, provided there are reasonable grounds. It is the formal equivalent of getting a boll*cking.
Old 16 September 2003, 11:54 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

IIRC, a verbal warning MUST be corroborated with a written notice of a verbal warning (which is not the same as a written warning). Other than that, there's not much of a procedure.
Old 16 September 2003, 11:57 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Hi, I wouldnt even bother, any rep'tble company is duty bound not to give bad references about an ex employee, in my experience the only real problem involves dealing with banking etc within a business, if your g/f had a disciplinary over cash discrepancies then this must be declared on her reference. An Exit form is a good way of advising the co. shes leaving there may be a problem, however unless u r going to tribunal etc its not going to make any diff to your g/f's future prospects- write it off as experience and move on to better things...

Cheers

Rich
Old 16 September 2003, 12:02 PM
Alpine99
Scooby Regular

If you are given a verbal warning you should then be given a written confirmation that you received the verbal warning on such a date for the following reasons. If it requires your work to improve you are usually given a period of time over which this must happen. ie we expect to see immediate improvement in your attitude to work. You should also be told the consequences of further action of this nature ie may lead to a further verbal warning and ultimately dismissal. We always finish by saying how long the warning will remain on file.

Hope that helps
Old 16 September 2003, 12:05 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

your girlfriend was entitled to have a colleague/union rep/friend/family member present at the verbal warning meeting. This should have been explained to her.
After the meeting she should have received a letter confirming what happened at the meeting. The letter would then be kept in her personnel file.
There is usually a possibility to appeal against a verbal warning, but I am not sure if this is a legal right.

Steve
Old 16 September 2003, 12:07 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

I should perhaps add a little more detail so that I might inspire you to my cause.

This verbal was to be written up and put on my g/f's file for 6 months. Until that time she had received nothing but praise over her 2 1/2 yrs service, and never had a 'talking to' of any kind. Seems rather extreme to hand out such disciplinary when you have such a spotless record until that point... G/f was not given chance to state her own case. In fact she was not even told exactly what the details of the complaint were! There was no witness and she was not advised that she could have a witness. This women rang my g/f on a Friday afternoon and told her she was up for a bollocking on Monday and would say no more. Then on Monday g/f was treated to a whole day of snearing and bad attitude (very professional, hmmm) and then finally called in at the end of the day. Last thing she was told was that discussing this disciplinary with anyone else would result in further action.

It goes on and on, none of it getting any better. I hope you see why I want to make sure we leave a nice complaint for this cow via the exit questionnaire. This is not just about sour grapes from my g/f but about someone abusing their position of power, managing on a personal level rather that a professional one, and who is continuing to make life hell for all of my g/f's ex colleagues who still have to put up with her!

Cheers

Matt
Old 16 September 2003, 12:21 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

It's been said on here before, but do not do anything other than putting in a bland minimalist resignation letter. You might feel better by whinging (and do it verbally if necessary) but nothing good ever comes of burning your bridges.
Old 16 September 2003, 12:28 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

This bridge can burn! Honestly this women is terrible and should not be allowed to continue the way she is.

G/f's previous manager at the same company is happy to give her a reference and 'off the record' even agrees that this cow bag is bad news.

She has already started her new job and in this case it just does not matter about putting the boot in.

Really, honestly this women is bad news. She gets away with it because her immediate superior happens to be the one she is currently ********, know what I mean.

Bottom line. G/f takes fall on her behalf. Women is mare. Women deserves some come back by HR on her.

Old 16 September 2003, 12:36 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

If u want to make a point (following ur update) u will have to go to the MD of the company and make an official complaint- keep it completely factual though, other than that from what u have said i reiterate that u will just be wasting valuable time spent on something profitable to the both of you.
Old 16 September 2003, 12:37 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Molds - I seriously doubt that anything will happen. You can write letters until you are blue in the face but if they are from an ex-employee - who gives a sh*t? The only way to have sorted it would have been to stay in the job and start some sort of official greivance against the woman. Even this would have been probably very drawn out and not likely to get anywhere if the person in question has support from higher managment. I occasionally get complaints against one of my managers - "her intimidated me" "he called me a w*nker". I listen very patiently...
Old 16 September 2003, 12:45 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Molds, went through EXACTLY the same thing when I worked at Airtours. Had nothing but praise and promotion for 1.5 years, then my new boss started setting me up for falls.

Eventually led to a disciplinary for petty things (like using the internet at lunch )

In the end I told them to stick the job, and stick the exit interview, then I left immediately. Even managed to use up my holiday discounts before leaving

Best thing I ever did, leaving. And looking at the company now, I got out just in time.

Re procedures, I had a verbal, then a letter, then discip meeting, where they had to have my boss, me and a member of HR. Its not worth noting everything down that has happened - they took my bosses side in it all.

Pass on my regards, I know how confidence bashing these things can be - was a very bad time for me

Life is very good now though