Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advance Driving Test

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2003, 10:55 AM
SU3ARU
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Am thinking of joining the IAM and going for the advanced driving test.

Is it worth it?

Anyone had any good/bad experiences with doingit?

Cheers
Peter
Old 06 August 2003, 12:18 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

The usual argument you'll hear in favour of it is that it can reduce your insurance premiums.

The usual argument you'll hear against it is that it makes the driver feel over-confident, and possibly even an arrogant road-user.

If you've done any sort of advanced driving course, you probably don't need the IAM's badge, but if you haven't, then it's worth doing, in my opinion.
Old 06 August 2003, 02:19 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Worth it.

(kinda related now)

Was quite interesting, because the other night was having a drink or two and somebody sat me in front of their computer and asked me to do that new "road awareness test" (or whatever it's called that they are/have bringing in as part of the driving test). They told me to click the mouse button everytime I saw a "developing hazard". Needless to say, I clicked on it more than necessary, but I was asked "why did you click then" type questions on most of the clips.

A classic was I was on one of the country lane sections, and I was coming upto a right hand bend(which is a developing hazzard in itself IMO), however you could make out some building in the trees around the bend, so I pressed the button.

I argued the toss saying that having seen the buildings before the corner, it was more than likely that after the corner there would be an entrance/exit, but the *young* learner drivers who had bought the CD didn't agree that it was a "developing hazard".

I can see what the CD is trying to do, but I found the whole thing quite odd and very much teaching people not to look much further than past the end of their bonnet

I still passed it, but did actually miss the two hazzards on the big roundabouts (people crossing lanes) and some others...

Has anyone else seen this CD?
Old 08 August 2003, 02:12 PM
SU3ARU
Scooby Regular

Not seen that CD.

I think I will go for it, not done any formal advance driver training before so think I will start here.

Thanks for the feedback.

Peter
Old 08 August 2003, 03:25 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Talking

Interestng comments by qwerty re road awareness cd, surely its just like poor driving instructor who just teaches you to pass a test and not how to become an all round driver.
I know I was taugt this way as I got a cancellation three days after my 17th and hence needed lesson on how to pass the test and not how to drive.
Still stick by the old adage that learn to drive after pass test.

Going back to the IAM / advanced driving test, did mine three years ago for the second time (I accidently let the yearly subscription lapse & had an accident), Has it reduced my premium in any way NO.
Has is made me a more aware driver, YES. Could this be achieved by any other advanced driving course. YES.

Richard
Old 08 August 2003, 04:29 PM
T.C
Scooby Regular

Putting my advanced driving examiner/instructors hat on for a moment, if you are looking at doing an advanced course simply to save money on insurance, forget it, but if you are looking at doing it because you want to become a better driver, then go for it.

You will develop better powers of observation, hazard awareness, smoothness, you will learn to use the road better, the car will be on the correct part of the road, travelling at the correct speed for the hazard with the correct gear engaged and so it goes, but most importantly not only will it make you safer, it will make your driving more enjoyable.

It is worth remembering that in addition to the IAM, RoSPA are the senior of the two organisations, and unlike the IAM where you take your test once on a pass or fail basis so that at the age of 90 you can still call yourself an advanced driver, RoSPA grade the test Bronze, silver and gold with a three yearly re-test requirement, and if you attain gold not only have you attained the highest civillian driving qualification in the UK, but you will have a grade equal to the Police class 2 which is just below that of a class 1. In other words YOU ARE GOOD if you get gold.

This is not to knock the IAM as anyone who gives their time freely to improve safety on our roads has to be applauded, but as the IAM themselves say they are quantity over quality that RoSPA promote.
Old 08 August 2003, 04:45 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

TC.

If you can get a copy of that example CD I mention above, I'd be interested to hear your comments on it.

My instructor mentioned the RoSPA route after passing my IAM test. He said he would only put me in for it if he thought I would get gold (need a couple more sessions with him)

Might pick it up next year, as I'm all on getting my PPL atm.

Back on the IAM bit, I did it, because I saw the way police motorcycles were ridden and thought "I want to be able to ride like that" While pointing out the bleed'in obvious in most if not all cases of what to look for while driving/riding, it still required somebody to point it out for me to appreciate it (hope that makes sense)
Old 08 August 2003, 04:53 PM
T.C
Scooby Regular

Well being a senior RoSPA advanced motorcycle examiner, I have to say that I am somewhat biased, but within the industry agreement was met between the major organisations, namely RoSPA, IAM and Diamond Advanced that an IAM pass and Diamond Advanced pass are on par with the RoSPA bronze. That is not to say that there are some very good IAM riders and drivers out there, but because there is no grading, someone who holds an IAM pass has no benchmark by which to compare himself.

For example, someone who has worked really hard to attain a good standard passes, and someone who just scrapes through is given the same award, so what differentiates the good from the not so good.

With the RoSPA test, the grading system does just that, and if someone attains gold, it means that with a minimal amount of training, that person wouldbe capable of attaining a Police class 1 given the opportunity, and to be fair there are some gold grade drivers and riders who are at that standard.

I have not seen the CD yet, I have been meaning to get a copy, but I will try and have a look and see what it is like.
Old 08 August 2003, 04:53 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Have to agree wholeheartedly with TC. The RoSPA scheme is one you'll really learn from, and, as it's repeated, it's less likely that you'll pick up bad habits.

The other plus point that hasn't been mentioned yet is that this sort of thing will not only make you less likely to end up in front of the beak in the first place, it may give you extra ammunition in court should you ever be unlucky enough to do so.
Old 08 August 2003, 04:56 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

The other plus point that hasn't been mentioned yet is that this sort of thing will not only make you less likely to end up in front of the beak in the first place, it may give you extra ammunition in court should you ever be unlucky enough to do so.
I've heard two spins on that; one as you say above, and the other, in that you get ripped into even more, because "you should have known better"

I took my IAM test knowing that, thinking I'd rather stay alive and take a bigger fine/points, than be dead.
Old 08 August 2003, 04:57 PM
T.C
Scooby Regular

Greasemonkey, good point you make, but on the other hand if you do end up before the beak and they find out your background, their attitude may be "You should know better"! If you get my drift
Old 08 August 2003, 04:58 PM
T.C
Scooby Regular

Sorry, got beaten to it
Old 08 August 2003, 04:58 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Errr, I said that first
Old 10 August 2003, 09:46 PM
SU3ARU
Scooby Regular

TC

So where can I get more info on the RoSPA?

Peter
Old 10 August 2003, 10:35 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Go for it

http://www.rospa.com/CMS/index.asp

Regards

TONY

IAM
RoSPA - Gold (Car)
RoSPA - Gold (Commercial)
Police - Class 2 (Former)
Old 11 August 2003, 08:43 AM
SU3ARU
Scooby Regular

Tony

Thanks for the link. I had a look and it seems you just pay for the test, there is no tuition leading up to it - am I missing something here?

Cheers
Peter
Old 11 August 2003, 09:24 AM
T.C
Scooby Regular

If you phone Mirlinda Rae on 0121 248 2000 and ask for an information pack, she will get one out in the post to you.

There are groups in most parts of the country some more active than others, but certainly there should be someone close to you who should be able to assist.
Old 11 August 2003, 11:30 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

TC/Qwerty. Perfectly valid point of course!

Think it all depends on the circumstances. If a copper nabs you doing something you shouldn't, it could indeed make things worse.

However, if it's a case of your word versus another member of the public's, the RoSPA qualification can (and has in my experience ) come in very handy, on a number of different levels.
Old 08 November 2003, 09:14 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Peter

IIRC if you undertaking this as an individual (as opposed to a fleet) you need to join a local group (searchable on the RoSPA site). They will then assign you an observer who will take you out until they feel you are ready for test.

The test itself is about 90 minutes and takes into account all road types - though they shouldn't try to catch you out like the Police test e.g. 'Take the next turning on the right', which is a No Entry However, the examiners are usually serving or retired Police Instructors/Drivers and you will need to ascertain what sort of drive the examiner is looking for, such as -

OLD TIMER - Wants a nice, safe, 'Sunday' experience.
MODERN - Safe but progressive drive (cut those corners )

Cheers

TONY

[Edited by tonybooth - 8/11/2003 9:14:43 AM]