Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How many hot pepper eaters here?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2003, 06:05 PM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Branching as it were from the kebab thread ...

I will begin by admitting to a great appetite for peppers, sauces, etc. Here in mid-America I can grow my own, buy good ingredients at many shops, and get good hot restaurant food from Asians, Mexicans, etc.

Let's see how many of these might strike a note with some of you. Consider this to be a simpiified version of what the Chile-Heads list (at globalgarden.com) calls YKYACHI (You Know You're A Chili-Head If

You carry your own supply of pepper to restanrants, parties, etc.

You order your dinner "as hot as you can make it" and are disapponted.

Your kitchen is loaded with pepper sauces, salsas, condiments, etc.

People are afraid to try another thing you cook.

You have at least once caused the kitchen or entire household to be evacuated because of the pepper fumes from whatever you're cooking.

You begin to collect pepper-pattern novelty items like fabrics, decorations, etc.

[Edited by The_Lizard - 8/3/2003 6:06:47 PM]
Old 08 April 2003, 09:27 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Red face

I love chili sauce
"Dave's Insanity Sauce" is one of my faves. Makes a good (and somewhat hot!) dip for cheese

Is anyone aware of the "Scoville Scale?" Most of my hot sauces have come from a restaurant in Toronto called Red Devil. Great ribs, and a selection of hundreds of insane sauces to try and buy.

One of the craziest I bought was called "Cap One" or something similar. Came in a childproof bottle with pipette for dispensing it. They made you sign a disclaimer before you bought it. Needless to say it was HOT! (about 3-4 times the Dave's sauce mentioned above using the scoville scale on the bottle). You needed about 3 drops of it to turn a Chile Con Carne into mouth meltdown sauce

Yummy
Joolz

Edited to add Dave's Insanity Sauce is available at the hotheadz link posted above. Go buy some

[Edited by jbryant - 8/4/2003 9:31:00 AM]
Old 03 August 2003, 06:20 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Yup ! I do like pepper sauces I do.

Hottest I've tasted has to be Blair's After Death sauce - XXX rated stuff and the warning on the label must be heeded!

All-time favourite is Windmill Hot Pepper Sauce from Barbados which I used to order over the web but the site in the UK doing it stopped Wish I could get my hands on more of it but it looks like it's EasyJet over to London for a day trip !!

Walkerswood Jamaican is quite good, Nando's Extra-Hot Peri Peri doesn't quite get there and Encona is okay to get started. Jardine's Blazing Saddle is fine in an emergency and Colon Cleaner is probably best left alone
Old 03 August 2003, 06:24 PM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

I can See that you Know, oh Burned - err - Learned One

I am an acquaintance of Jim Campbell from Mild to Wild, and John Hard of CaJohn's.

Old 03 August 2003, 06:28 PM
Matt R
Scooby Regular

Have a look here!

http://www.smegghead.com/Hot%20Sauce/hothome.htm

Matt
Old 03 August 2003, 06:49 PM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

A refreshing read ... John Hard makes the Hard Time and Vicious Viper sauces.

I have learned to fear John Hard, he produces some amazingly hot products and tends to load you with samples when you meet him.

Old 03 August 2003, 06:52 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Anyone got a link to a site which will ship sauces to mainland Europe? Hot-Headz appear to only ship within the UK and as I said in my earlier post, I'd REALLY like to get my hands on some Windmill sauce.

Trending Topics

Old 03 August 2003, 10:51 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I can't eat any food now that isn't laced with hot sauce such as Nando's extra hot etc..

as far as growing my own.. I wish I could..
Old 04 August 2003, 01:03 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I love HOT peppers! I have gotta have my food with tons of hot pepper sauce or chillies! It gives me a right buzz when the sweat drips off my forehead and I go"ssssss" with my mouth burning while eating!And,everything tastes tastier! I can beat anyone's record on eating peppers!!!
Old 04 August 2003, 12:12 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I second Daves Insanity, also "Da Bomb" comes in at a nifty 120,000 scoville units. The hottest I have found online is called "The Source" at 7,100,000 scoville units, but at 80 bucks I havn't seen fit to try any yet!!!

http://www.originaljuan.com/product.asp?itemID=592
Old 04 August 2003, 02:32 PM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

The very strongest sauces are extracts, not natural strength. It's like the difference between wine and distilled liquor. Many people complain of a "burnt cat" flavor from the extracting process.

The hottest natural sauces tend to be made from habaneros of one type or another. Some of these also have some extract added to them to boost the heat.

Look for "capsaicin extract" or "oleoresin of capsaicin" in the ingredeints of a sauce.

Here's a twist: Some salsa manufacturers also use extract, and jalapenos bred to be completely mild. Sounds crazy at first, but as one sauce maker explained to me, if they rely on the heat from the peppers, they cannot assure consistency from batch to batch. But if they know the peppers are completely mild, then they can add some extremely small amounts of extract (of known strength) and know exactly hot hot the final product will be.

Same thing with coloring in sauces. Many of the red sauces use red coloring so every bottle will look exactly alike, same thing with mixing blue and yellow colorings to get an ELECTRIC GREEN sauce like El Yucateco.

[Edited by The_Lizard - 04/08/2003 14:36:00] can't change font color, apparently...

[Edited by The_Lizard - 04/08/2003 14:36:50]
Old 04 August 2003, 02:35 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Cool

Habanero Mayonaise.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm