Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do cops really car more about fining motorists than catching burglars?

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2003, 09:29 PM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

link to Scunthorpe Telegraphe article
Old 29 July 2003, 10:07 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Can I be the first *cough* SIAL *cough*
Old 29 July 2003, 10:35 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

On a related note, anyone know what this business is in Wales with some pensioner being "named and shamed"? Had three bl**dy emails about it already...
Old 29 July 2003, 11:12 PM
JRW
Scooby Newbie

Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Mick Todd summed it up by asking his officers to use more discretion when dealing with speeders. If no aggravating circ's then verbal warning not ticket etc. He realises that the current hit on motorists is alienating a section of the public and this is a bloody large section from giving the police any help or info as to who is actually out there screwing peoples homes. The problem is that road deaths outnumber homicides by a large proportion and I wouldn't want to wish on anyone the scene of a fatal accident, been there not good. Most were connected to too much speed. Burglary on the other hand whilst a priority on the whole isn't killing people so you can see the problem. Punishing drivers is not the answer however. Education must be the way forward and if anyone has the answer there are alot of police forces ready to listen.
Old 29 July 2003, 11:28 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Yes,they do !
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=233988
Whom it may/may not concern,I have more than 35yrs left to claim my pension,by the way!

[Edited by Turbohot - 7/29/2003 11:34:21 PM]

[Edited by Turbohot - 7/29/2003 11:42:30 PM]
Old 29 July 2003, 11:29 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

The underlying problem is the bl**dy Government's "Speed Kills" campaign, and the effect that has on policing policy.

You get robots like the guy in North Wales turning it into some sort of semi-religious crusade, and most of the "sensible" sections of the British public treating the whole thing like a stealth taxation regime.

I'd imagine most moderately intelligent people know that "speed", in itself, doesn't kill. It's bad driving (often the incorrect use of speed), in combination with bad pedestrianship, bad riding, whatever, that conspires together to cause road accidents, and the longer this increase in speed cameras/decrease in real policing carries on, the less respect the public will have for it.

The sooner the powers that be realise that and form a sensible road safety policy the sooner people will get the point, the sooner the public as a whole will respect the policy, and the sooner accident figures will really start to drop.

Without wanting to get too party-political, the Tories' recent utterings on this (removing "revenue raising" speed enforcement, raising the motorway speed limit to 80mph), sounds like it has some promise, although to implement it, they've got to get into power...

Old 30 July 2003, 07:12 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

YES THEY DO!!!

driving thru town centre yesterday, new signs put up on almost every lamppost

"Theives operate here....etc"

so y dont we see signs on motorway posts

"Speeding cars pass here.."

dont get me started

pure and simple: the motorist is an easy money making scheme for local police forces and the government.

where can they make money from catching theives!!!! they cant
Old 30 July 2003, 08:01 AM
Brewstaa
Scooby Regular

Undoubtedly why go and put yourself in dangerous situation when you can rake in cash from those nasty people in cars and get a pat on the head anyway

If you speak to people its amazing how many have been done for speeding people who I don't even think know where the loud people is! But nobody really takes any proper action to show the powers that be its a general feeling of distrust of cameras etc. they believe its a minority

Someone should organise a demonstration a bloody huge slow convoy should ruffle a few feathers If we went to London would we have to pay the congestion charge as well LOL!! tax tax tax!!!
Old 30 July 2003, 09:03 AM
dlharris
Scooby Regular

It seems to me that the police would much rather stop someone that's got no police record, has a good job and does everything by the book than stop the low life they know are driving without tax, without mot and no insurance, simply because they don't want the hassle. As for the argument about road deaths outnumbering homicides, do those figures include the number of deaths caused by police chases and joy riders etc?

Dave
Old 30 July 2003, 12:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its a lot easier to do someone for speeding, less paperwork and pretty safe. Easier to get a conviction and that looks better on the "catch returns". Besides,a burglar might be able to sue you for something,or anything! Ask the North Wales Chief Constable!

Les

[Edited by Leslie - 30/07/2003 12:08:32]
Old 30 July 2003, 01:02 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Angry

It might be normal in other area's of the country, no idea; but driving into Leeds on the M62 this morning on the section between the A19 and A1, there was a traffic police man sat in a car with what looked rather like a radar/laser gun.

That was at 07:40hrs.

I wasn't annoyed, I've gone past that stage. I was just genuinely sad about it.

Old 30 July 2003, 01:27 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I recon they do, they just enforce the initiatives set up by government who are often poorly advised by so called experts that we pay for.

Ask any copper about it, also it is the time they have to spend on paperwork rather than out there doing thier real job. Most cops live in the communities they serve and see the day to day problems which is more than can be said for their task masters

All IMHO of course.
Old 30 July 2003, 01:41 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Well said Paul. Sanity prevails at last.

All of you should stop ranting about the coppers as they are just following directions from a higher source. If you feel so fecking strong about it then lobby your MP or write to the Home Sec as these are the people that are passing the directives that instruct all the police in your areas to target speeding cars.

You all seem very fast to slag off the police but should you find yourselves in the **** then you would want their full support then yet you are not willing to support them. They don't want to be spending time catching speeding motorists when they could be making a real difference in their comunities.

You should all be ******* ashamed of yourselves.

Jason.

Old 30 July 2003, 11:43 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

As most of you know I am waiting for my start date to join the Metropolitan Police Service, and as a Police Constable I will be required to do whatever duties that I am told to do by my senior officers.

One of the governments main initiatives at the moment is the 'Speed Kills' campaign, which is why there is a lot of activity with regards to speeding etc...
Old 31 July 2003, 06:12 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Angry

Figures recalled from TopGear, so excuse their inaccuracy, or my bad memory.

Total roads deaths/yr 3500
Met Police directly attribute 5% to speeding (figure probably amended recently to justify change in policy)
I make that 175 a year.

Smoking kills 250000 a year, and that's legal.
Alcohol kills 120000 a year, and that's legal.

I'm not saying speeding should be made legal, but we seem to have varying attitudes to different problems in our society. I have long said we need a Minister For Common Bloody Sense who has the power to overule any stupid decisions made by blinkered overzealous selfrighteous power obsessed money grabbing moron politicians.