Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Thailand!!

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2003, 02:51 PM
One_Lung
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had my holiday there and all i can say is HOLYSH*T.
Went to Phucket island, staying in patong beach. and everybody was really nice and friendly
I was a God among mortals for the week i was there!! had a brill time
Anyone else been?
Old 08 July 2003, 02:55 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

no... myself and hubbie-to-be are thinking about going for our honeymoon.

Did you go luxury...or do it on the cheap?? (the holiday that is...not the he-shes )
Old 09 July 2003, 10:35 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Been before.....

Going again, Nov time

Just a great place, including Bangkok. Last time I went it was via Qatar and took 19hours including stopovers.. .

J
Old 09 July 2003, 01:23 PM
stevenuk300
Scooby Regular

Just come back there myself. Spent 4 days in Bangkok buying DVD's like The Hulk and Matrix 2 for £3, Taylor Made Armani suits for £90 each.
Then spent 10 days in Hui Hin in a 5 star spa resort. Even the princess of Thailand was staying there at the time. Relaxed and didn't have to lift a finger. £750 each including flights, transfers and 2 5 star hotels. It's cheaper than Europe.
Old 09 July 2003, 01:41 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

bl00dy hell steven!!?!?!?!!

where did you book that one from???
sounds pretty much what we're looking for for out honeymoon but we cant seem to find anything decent for less than a grand!
Old 09 July 2003, 04:36 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Try............

http://www.tcdirect.net/

No connection , but have used them 3 times to go around the world

J
Old 09 July 2003, 04:46 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

Thanks SS. good site. Just what we were looking for
Old 12 July 2003, 10:26 PM
jazzyjeff
Scooby Regular

Wife and I visited Thailand last year and had a fantastic time.

Went with Thomson on a package deal - Flew with Thai International who really looked after us (i.e. drinks every five minutes, plenty of leg room even in economy, orchids for all the ladies etc) so it set the holiday off to a cracking start.

Stayed 3 nights in Bangkok to begin with at "The Landmark" - top class five star hotel. Very luxurious with absolutely everything you could want. We then toured mainland Thailand right up to the furthest point North (Golden Triangle) staying at various places along the way. The further north you go you get a much better feel for the culture and the quality of the hotels remained excellent - the people will bend over backwards to make you feel welcome.

We then flew to Phuket for a week of total relaxation in the sun.
In Phuket, we stayed at a resort called "Cape Panwa" which is right on the southern tip of Phuket. It was really hidden away and just like being on a desert island with its own beach, restaurants and jetty but there was a good bus service to Patong for your night outs or Phuket Town for shopping.

Cape Panwa is an ideal location for a honeymoon as you can be pampered and chill out in peace on the private beach throughout the day whereas although Patong is great for the nightlife and seeing the ladyboys etc, it does get a bit sleazy and you will get hassled on the public beach during the day.

In Bangkok and Phuket we were left to do our own thing but the tour of mainland Thailand was actually organised. This was good in one respect cos we got to see more and do stuff like elephant trekking etc, but also very tiring - put it this way, although very beautiful, once you've seen one temple in the sweltering heat, you've seen em all!!! but we don't regret doing the tour as it gives you a good insight into the real Thailand - you just need a good week in Phuket to recover from the travelling afterwards.

Considering we stayed in five star hotels which was a complete but very nice surprise (and were full board less the time in Bangkok which was B&B and pretty much all inclusive in Phuket) we got a really good deal with Thomson and we didn't have any problems except for a minor schedule change which eventually worked out for the better. They're really worth looking at if you're after a good all round holiday.

We would really recommend going to Thailand - it was stunning and a right laugh - absolutely anything goes - all the rumours you hear are 100% true, you've just got to go there to believe it.
Old 12 July 2003, 10:46 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Thumbs up

That place is madness!, Bangkok has to be seen to believed..Awesome... Hot?!, k'in hell it's hot!... companions you say?, let me tell you abou..
Old 12 July 2003, 11:04 PM
Tadger Buffer
Scooby Newbie

Talking

We've been to Phuket and Ko Samui. The Thai people are great ... lovely people. Beautiful country. You can go as backpackers or go somewhere quieter, more luxurious.

A couple of people mentioned elephant trekking. Elephants are awesome creatures but think twice before riding one. We did it and I have to say it was one of the scariest things I've done. I was so glad to get off. Remember the elephant is a living animal, not a 4x4: it might get it into its head to reach up and grab that lovely coconut at the top of the tree ... the driver can whack it on the head as much as he likes but if the elephant wants to stand up he will, and good luck to whoever's sitting on his back!

And the roads on Phuket are crazy! Whole families on one moped! Mental.

Get the massage. A couple of quid for a massage on the beach.
Old 14 July 2003, 05:09 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Prices will be higher at other times cos this is the most humid and hot and wet time to go. Sounds like you were mostly indoors though ;-)

We could learn a lot from the Thai's approach to life. Love the place.

D
Old 07 September 2003, 09:55 AM
One_Lung
Scooby Regular

We went because its a totally different place, different culture. a change from spain!
I would recommend it because theres loads of stuff to do during the day and night. all the tours to the Small islands off Phucket. the James bond island, Phi Phi island where The Beach was filmed. We went snokeling, elephant trekking, see a thai boxing night, went to a shooting range, hired mopeds, go karting and of course during the night we had a few beverages and of course the women were throwing themselves at us.
I said to my mate after the first night:- 'we are kings among men out here'.
Oh and got a tailormade suit for about 50 pounds. Just gotta find a place to wear it now
We crammed all this into a week but i wish we went for longer.
Only real killer was the flights out there and back (heathrow-Bankok. Bankok-Phuket). And it was rainy season so was cloudy but still hot.
But overall i really, really want to go again

It was cheap to eat and drink out there and our hotel was 3 or 4 stars and we got that for about £650 all in all.

the only real expense was the companions U should see our hotel bill!!!

[Edited by One_Lung - 7/9/2003 9:58:31 AM]