Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Thieving banks stole my £5,000

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2003, 02:45 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lloyds TSB's line is that they have had the cheque presented to them for payment and they have payed it as required. The money is therefore with MBNA. MBNA's line is basically PROVE IT....

The plot thickens ....just had a call from TSB who have credited my account with £5,000 for the duration of the audit trail check. This money is a loan which is re-deamable upon the conclusion of the problem. I am amazed. I have been given £5,000 with nothing in writting, I have signed nothing, etc etc. Sounds like an admission of guilt but MBNA have cashed the original one so why on earth have they done that?.
What the hell is going on?

I have a feeling that they are starting a cover our **** campaign.

[Edited by TVR Gary - 7/1/2003 2:46:15 PM]
Old 01 July 2003, 02:19 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

I will shorten this very very long story for you.

Payed a £5,000 cheque from my Lloyds TSB bank to Virgin (MBNA Europe) credit card two months ago. All went fine, the cheque came out of my account in a timely fashion etc. Couple of weeks later I get my statement from MBNA and the money hasnt come off my account.
I ring them up and complain, they say the money will have gone into a holding account as un-identified and i should ring Lloyds TSB for a copy of the cheque. Four weeks later and after much interest accrued and back and forwarding TSB tell me they have lost the copy of my cheque (banking laws say they must keep for 5 years, let alone 30 days)and cant really help me.
MBNA say get a copy of the cheque and we will trace it ..... TSB say they dont have the cheque.

Someone has my fxxxxxx (very naughty word) £5,000 and i want it back. They are now starting a 6 week audit trail on the cheque and i have no confidance that either of them will resolve it.

I want it sorted and then I will clear my Virgin card and never use them again.
As for TSB I will take my overdraft elsewhere.

Have sent a nice letter to them both this morning and the banking Ombudsman, not that that will make any difference.

At least one good thing is I went into my branch today and gave the manager a piece of my mind. Didnt help but it felt better than sitting listening to music for 20 minutes waiting to talk to someone who doesnt give a toss on the phone
Old 01 July 2003, 02:34 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

If lloyds TSB acknowledge that they saw the cheque and delt with it then surely you can reclaim the losses from them, and the intrest thats been acumilating on the MBNA acct?
Old 01 July 2003, 02:47 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Close the accounts and run
Old 01 July 2003, 02:49 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Jbryant ......... and get hit with the interest which is quickly accumulating and the negative credit rating (black listed) which I get in 14 days time
Old 01 July 2003, 04:50 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Hmm, interesting.

In February this year, I paid £5,500 into my LloydsTSB current account so that they ould take the money to clear a loan I had with them. We agreed the amount and the date for the trnsfer to take place.

On the agreed date, the £5,500 was taken from my current account and, I assumed, transferred to my loan account which should have cleared the loan.

Imagine my surprise when I had £130 removed from my account the following month by the Collections Department plus another £50 charge because I had cancelled my direct debit and part of the Ts&Cs of the loan was that the repayments were by DD. In actual fact, LloydsTSB had cancelled the account as the loan was supposed to be paid off.

After sevral phone calls, it was established that my £5,500 was "missing" but they said they would find it. I told them not to bother as I was calling the police to report the theft of the money from my account. Surprisingly, they found the "missing" money within a few hours.

Now, bearing in mind that when I deposited the cheque originally, they made me talk to my bank mnager and explain what the money was for, they were clearly hoping I would give it to them in some form or other, I have my suspicions that maybe LloydsTSB have a policy of holding on to large sums of money for as long as possible for their own purposes, all IMHO, of course.
Old 01 July 2003, 05:01 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
i had a similar thing happen using my online banking with TSB.

I paid £3000 to clear my credit card using the funds transfer method i had been using for 2 years to make payments. That money left my account but never apeared in my CC acount. I was charged for non payment, they took that charge out of my current account, they also dropped my credit limit as i missed a payment!

It took me 2 weeks to sort out and get the money refunded and then paid back into the CC to clear it, i never did get my credit limit reinstated.

It turned out an extra digit had found its way into my credit card transfer system, and the computer system allowed that (which it shouldnt do as all accounts have the same number of digits), so the £3k disapeared into nowhere for 2 weeks. It was imposible for me to make that change, so they had a computer failure, database rebuild that went wrong IMHO.

Computers do go wrong, more often than you would imagine.
Old 01 July 2003, 05:36 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

TVR Gary -- as you say, if Lloyds have paid Virgin, they should have a copy of the cheque as evidence. If they haven't, use the pressure to get them to produce other supporting evidence.

Old 01 July 2003, 05:50 PM
stuckhere
Scooby Regular

Tell them the cheque was for 10K ;-)
Old 01 July 2003, 05:53 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Had similar in Tenerife with La Caixa, even though all of the money is yours, they insist on holding 2000 euros in a 'security' account just so they can get some interest on it for themselves.

That pi55ed me off, so I withdrew all of my cash (48,000) and took it to Banca March who were so happy with the business I was giving them they even knocked the mortgage rate they'd offered me to 3.9% instaed of 4.4%, plus showed me how to avoid tax on 30k euros
Old 01 July 2003, 09:44 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

I transfered my main banking branch from Hemel to MK. They lost all my DD and STO's, my wages and started to pay me as one of their employees! This was with the same bank!

I'm terrified to know what would happen if I moved to another bank...

F
Old 01 July 2003, 10:08 PM
Luke
BANNED

Amex have got to be the worst.
Old 01 July 2003, 10:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

There is a big fraud going on and they cannot admit that they are being hit ............ they would rather pay £100,000's than say they are unsafe!!

I would just like to take 10p from each and every account in the country - not worth chasing for the individual, would not be missed, would make me very happy!!!

Pete
Old 01 July 2003, 10:36 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

MBNA are the worst, was with them for two years with no probs then some low life gets my credit card no. and starts ordering off the net and stupidly delivers to his home address, but takes me 6 months to tell them its not me who's been using my card.

Mog
Old 02 July 2003, 08:01 AM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the notes on this people.

It makes me feel better that I am not the only ones who has a problem with these thieving gits. Although that doesnt help you lot with your problems.
I think MBNA must be to blame coz they have cashed the cheque although TSB shouldnt have lost my copy cheque either. Maybe the person who said he is going to the police is right. I will give them a few days to think about it and then I will threaten them with the boys in blue. After all it is fraud I guess.

Old 02 July 2003, 08:52 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

When I remortgaged last year my old bank got the money from the solicitor and put it all in my current account (£127,000.00) I noticed and called them. They realised the mistake and used it to clear the old mortgage account within about 30 minutes of me informing them..... TWICE. I have gone from 127k in credit to a 127k overdraft in about 5 minutes. I told them again and they took 10 days to rectify it and then tried to charge me £1800.00 interest and fees for unauthorised overdraft. I called the local plod and told them what the bank were doing. They said there was not much they could do, but they would get someone to arrange an appointment for CID to see the manager. Problem was rectified and £1800.00 was refunded in no time, with a letter of apology and a bottle of wine from the manager........

It might be worth calling the police