Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Muscle Spasms

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2003, 11:55 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK since playing footy last week I have this annoying spasm/twitch to the side of my right quad. I asked the doc about it whilst picking up some hayfever tablets (last fri) and was told it was nothing to worry about unless it doesnt go away. Well its monday and its still here. Ive been drinking a lot more water as the doctor said its sometimes caused by dehydration.

Anyone had this before and got any ideas on how to treat it, if indeed you can?

Thanks,
Simon.
Old 02 June 2003, 12:09 PM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

I've had similar tremours in the past. Can I ask how old you are?

When I visited the doc's they said it was most probably my muscles continuing to grow. Apparently they do so until late 20's.

The same thing can happen at any age when exercising. I now body build and get them sometime's where the muscle is simply rebuilding. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I was told that there is nothing you can do, it'll soon pass.

If it doesn't I would go back for more tests...
Old 02 June 2003, 12:17 PM
Little Miss WRX

Question

Could just try doing lots of stretches and massage the area.

Is it the same type of spasm that occurs before a cramp? Kind of fluttering?
Old 02 June 2003, 12:26 PM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

In my case I can sit there and watch my quad muscles happily contract and decontract like its having a fit. No amount of position changing, stretching or massage has any effect.

I can't speak for P1Fanatic as to the type of spasm he's having but in my case nothing helps!
Old 02 June 2003, 12:28 PM
Little Miss WRX

Question

I often get a weakness and tremor in my muscles after a footie match, but that is mainly due to the Ventolin of which one of the side effects is muscular tremors/shaking. Do you happen to take any type of medication that could cause something like that?
Old 02 June 2003, 12:35 PM
Defiant STI
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Really? WOW, I never knew that, I've been an asthmatic since I was 3 and I never knew Ventolin could cause such syntoms. Apparently neither does my doctor I won't bother going to the doc's in future, i'll just e-mail Little Miss Doc, I mean WRX Thanks! I hope a similar diagnosis applies to P1Fanatic.
Old 02 June 2003, 12:48 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

LOL, that is a notorious side effect that Ventolin has on me, it might not affect you in the same way.
It should be listed as a side effect on the Ventolin leaflet though? In fact, saying that, I have just looked at my recent inhaler pack and it doesn't state it.
Taken from here though it states
Like all medicines, this one can have some unwanted effects. Some people have muscle tremors and a few have palpitations and headaches
So, don't expect that to be the answer, but might be one thing you want to look at. I find that taking my inhaler at least half an hour before a match, I can avoid the side effects, but hwen I am struggling, I have been known to stand at half time visibly shaking due to the Ventolin!!!
Old 02 June 2003, 01:04 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Well Im 26 and not asthmatic. As you say I can quite happily sit here and watch the muscle twitch. It doesnt hurt, if anything it tickles. Its just annoying after a while. I tried to massage it a bit last night but it didnt make much difference. Think I will rub some deep heat in tonight then take a hot bath and see what that does.

Simon.
Old 02 June 2003, 01:25 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Probably just a trapped nerve or something. If it lasts much longer, get checked out. Wouldn't worry too much
Old 02 June 2003, 02:03 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Smile

Best get yourself back to the doctor for piece of mind then. Unless you know of a good physiotherapist? I now see a physio rather than my GP for sports related stuff (unless it is asthma related).
Old 02 June 2003, 03:02 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hmm Ive always wanted to try accupunture - now might be the time to give it a whirl!

Simon.