Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2002, 11:38 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Dave,

You mean "all I did was mince into town"

As the rest of the lads have already mentioned cramp is usually caused by being dehydrated. I've heard that it can also be linked to low salt levels, but anytime I've taken cramp it's always been poor hydration and self-inflicted

I usually get cramp during long swims, when you don't notice just how dehydrated you are. When it happens in bed it's VERY painful; I've even had it in my toes, but just wait until you get it in a large muscle like your hamstring - Jezus, that's the most pain I've ever been in.

If it's sore after the cramp has gone, then you've certainly done some muscle damage. It doesn't mean it's severe or anything to worry about, but the pain is your bodies way of telling you to take it easy.

Best thing is to take some nice hot baths to keep the muscle warm, use some gentle calf stretches (don't go to deep) and if possible keep it warm during the day with a tubi-grip (spelling?) or one of those neoprene calf supports.

You can also take some Ibuprofen (if your not allergic to asprins) to keep an inflammation in the muscle down.

That way you'll not do any more damage and the pain should ease off in a few days.

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 8/7/2002 11:40:08 AM]
Old 08 July 2002, 12:47 PM
V5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dehydration isn't just about a lack of water, with it comes a lack of other minerals and stuff (yup - technical term! ) which includes salt. This is why when you make your own isotonic (ok, not entirely sure on the differences between isotonic/hypertonic/etc) you put salt in it.

You can also take some Ibuprofen (if your not allergic to asprins)
Not if you're asthmatic, mind!

[Edited by V5 - 8/7/2002 12:52:39 PM]
Old 07 August 2002, 10:03 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Last night at about 0200h i was woken with severe cramp in one of my calf muscles. I have since been told i am a drama queen for rolling about on the floor and screaming about it (nice )

It was so bad i actually thought i was gonna puke, and my calf is still really hurting now.

What can i do to get rid of the pain as it makes me look a right nobber walking thru the office hobbling.

Dave
Old 07 August 2002, 10:06 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

your calf has been yanked big time (like a massive workout with no warmup) so its gonna hurt, man up and pull yourself together!

T
Old 07 August 2002, 10:06 AM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

same thing happened to me about a month ago. couldnt walk properly for about 4 days!!! try drinking **** loads of water....could be dehydration

Dr. sexy has opened surgery.
Old 07 August 2002, 10:07 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

All i did yesterday was walk into town at lunch. What a mincer !

Dave
Old 07 August 2002, 10:11 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Apparently, you can stop cramp by putting a net bag full of corks (from wine bottles) in your bed. I've no idea why or how it would work, but I'm told it does!
Old 07 August 2002, 10:44 AM
nkh
Scooby Regular

I have had that, went to the hospital and they told me that I had actually torn the muscle.

Drink plenty, and include quinine in your diet. Best source is grapefruit and tonic water.

Try to keep off the leg as hobbling round won't help it.

Nic.
Old 07 August 2002, 10:47 AM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

I find that I get cramp when I'm salt deficient.. The best thing to take are those tablets you dissolve in water when on long walks (can't remember what they are called) or those rehydration powders you take when you have the *****.. work a treat...
Old 07 August 2002, 10:56 AM
V5
Scooby Regular

Cramp is often caused by a lack of salt, so make sure you get enough. How much is enough? Not so sure, but if you take too much and have a heart attack, don't blame me!!

Also, when cramp does strike, remember to stretch the muscle. I sometimes get cramp in my calf waking me up and once tried not stretching the muscle during the attack. It was only about 1000 times more painful.
Old 07 August 2002, 11:24 AM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

one word of advice....dont have sex while it still hurts. all the salt you sweat out...just makes it kill even more!
Old 07 August 2002, 11:26 AM
Ratman
Scooby Regular

Isn't that lack of salt thing a myth? I always associate dehydration with my cramp attacks. Especially bad playing Sunday morning football after a night out drinking!!

That calf-cramp when you're in bed REALLY is painful, so I empathise! I find I get about half a second warning before it strikes, but can't do anything to stop it. Having said that, within about half an hour of getting up and walking on it, using the muscle, everything is right as rain again, no pain, no hobbling, so you may find if yours isn't clearing up like that, there could be a touch of muscle damage?

Ratman
MY98 Wagon (not that that is relevant!)
Old 07 August 2002, 12:53 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

ref what you can do to make it better::

R est
I ce
C ompression
E elevation - sit with it raised above your heart,
Old 07 August 2002, 07:23 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

According to Dwayne Chambers you can also get cramp from drinking too much water!! It makes you sweat more, and hence sweats out the minerals (salt etc). A good source of salt is those Isotonic drinks - Lucozade etc

DW
Old 07 August 2002, 09:32 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Since having my serious accident in 96, I suffer from this too, I have spoken to the doc and he says because my legs were smashed so bad, thats why I get it, no fun hopping round the bedroom at 2am
cheers
Colin
Old 08 August 2002, 11:07 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I've only ever had really bad cramp like that once, woke the whole house up with the noise I made. I'm not up for a repeat performance of that.
Old 08 August 2002, 01:11 PM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Also had this a few times recently.....................it damn hurts!!!!!
Old 08 August 2002, 01:44 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

tis fecking painful!!!

When I was refereeing lots of games I regularly suffered from cramp and found that drinking lots of water helped. Also if my calf felt like it would cramp (you know that twitchy feeling) puutting a support bandage over it (not a really tight one) seemed to discourage the muscle from cramping.

I rarely have salt extra to any of my foods, not only do I prefer the taste of food without it, but due to the history of heart disease in my family I prefer not to add to the risk of me suffering!

Unfortunately I cannot take Ibuprofen as I am allergic to it (asthmatic) and the only things better than co-codamol for me are on prescription I feel embarrassed walking into the doc's for some painkillers for cramp, so I just keep off the leg for a day or two if I can.