Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mountain Biking Question

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2003, 08:14 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Yeah, but how 'off-road' is your off-road riding? Pottering along a firetrack or tow-path doesn't really count.

Have you checked out the video (warning - 65Mb!!!) I made a couple of weeks ago? Is your riding anything like that?

Figures I've quoted are just an estimate, based on riding 60 miles a week for about 2 years. Bear in mind that up until January this year, I'd not ridden for 4-5 years. In actual fact the figure is probably higher, 'cos I used to go out for 2-3 hours, 4-6 days a week during those 2 years.

Anyway, if you've done that much hard-core off-road biking, how come you've not had to replace bits on your bike, and how come you've not bought a better bike?

Seriously, though, perhaps you should come up (? whereabouts are you?) and we'll go out together? See the 'scottish scoobynet ride' in Sports - we're thinking of meeting on the 28th...

Talking of riding, I'd better sign off now, as I've got to fill my new CamelBak (which my dad sent me this week ) and get my s**t together, as I've got to be at Glentress in 45 minutes.

[Edited by MarkO - 6/1/2003 8:18:07 AM]
Old 27 May 2003, 09:51 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

Right, all you MTB chaps (and chappesses)....

I want to get a new CamelBack, as the one I used to use 4-5 years ago is all grimy and grotty inside, and the rucksack for the pouch is very uncomfortable. Luckily, my birthday's approaching in June, so I'm going to ask my dad to get it for me.

Question is, which is the best 'model' - lightest, with most storage for my crap whilst on a ride, and best capacity for drink. And secondly, where's a good place to buy 'em online - so I can just send him the URL.

Ta.
Old 27 May 2003, 10:29 AM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i always find chainreactioncycles to be very cheap online. i've got a rogue - only need the 2 litres and light storage for day rides.

guess it depends on your ridin style for bladder/carryin capacity. mates just got a cloudwalker and seems to be a good middle of the road camelbak...
Old 27 May 2003, 10:40 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had a look at www.camelbak.co.uk and the Rogue seems the one to go for. The MULE looks quite cool but probably more storage than I'd ever need.
Old 27 May 2003, 01:18 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I've been meaning to treat myself to one of these. My Mount Vision only has one bottle cage, not enough for long rides.

I will probably get a MULE, looks about right for a day ride, 3L of water plus room for tools, snacks etc. The Lobo looks roughly the same except with only 2L capacity. Chainreaction Cycles were the cheapest place to get them but seem to have sold all the Mules. www.merlincycles.co.uk have them at reasonable prices.
Old 27 May 2003, 01:28 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

Mark, isn't it about time you told us all about your love of Mars bars again? We've had at least four mountain bike threads from you since you last mentioned that, i'm pretty sure.

Old 27 May 2003, 01:33 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Cool

I use a MULE. Don't notice the weight. It's comfy and light but best of all it's flexible.
If I'm just going on a short ride then a litre of water and a puncture repair kit is all I take.
But if you're out for the day you really can cram it full of everything you need.
I'd buy it again.
r
Old 27 May 2003, 01:33 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'm going to ask my dad to get it for me.
Being a cheapskate again eh? Sad....very sad. Why not just *buy* a 3 quid bottle like everyone else?

UB
Old 27 May 2003, 01:39 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Not a cheapskate. My dad always complains that he doesn't know what to buy me. I've been wanting a CamelBak (to replace the bottles which I already have) for a while, but held off buying one so I could suggest he gets it for my birthday.

Since you don't MTB, UB (well, not properly ) what would you know about camelbaks anyway?
Old 27 May 2003, 01:58 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Oh, alright then, fair enough.

whatduya mean I don't MTB, properly. I take it that is a reference to my taking advantage of the contempory technology available to me, rather than clanking around on some obsolete piece of junk as some people seem to prefer.

On the suject of Camelbaks I got put off them because of the stories I heard about them harbouring bacteria and poisoning people if they are not kept scrupulously<sp> clean.

UB
Old 27 May 2003, 02:01 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

Scrupulously?!

Yeah, CamelBaks can get grubby if you don't clean 'em out. Nothing a sterilising tablet and some hot water can't fix though. And of course if you ride regularly enough, it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 27 May 2003, 02:04 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

UB,

Waterbottles I bet you where cycle clips too Waterbottles are great until you start whizzing over bumps or rough ground and they start exiting your bike quick style

Mark,

I have one of these

http://www.camelbak.co.uk/store/item45.html It's short on storage so I just use it for training.

I'm looking for another one with more storage, so I can use it as a replacement rucksack for hillwalking. I've narrowed it down to the M.U.L.E and this one

http://www.camelbak.co.uk/store/item17.html. The MULE has a 19L capacity, whereas the Peak Bagger is 32L (which is big enough for summer walking).

For winter, I can use my original camelbak inside my large rucksack.

If it's just for mountain biking, then the snowboarding one is very slimline (2L capacity) and is designed to fit under a snowboarding jacket. Obviously it's got **** all storage, but you could always carry spare tools and an inner tube/repair kit under the seat.

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 5/27/2003 2:04:50 PM]

[Edited by ozzy - 5/27/2003 2:06:39 PM]
Old 27 May 2003, 02:05 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Christ, even cleaning a mountain bike has been discussed!

Valium anyone? I think i need some. Quickly.
Old 27 May 2003, 02:11 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL @ cycle clips

I agree that bottles fall off. I carry mine on my bumbag belt thingy so I can grab them easily on the move. Basically I don't really like carrying stuff on my back as it gets in the way and is uncomfortable.

UB
Old 27 May 2003, 02:20 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

you can get camelbaks for around your wasit (ala bumbags). The good thing with the camelbaks is you don't need to fumble around whilst riding. I've plenty of cuts 'n bruises from loosing control after trying to reach for a waterbottle

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 5/27/2003 2:25:37 PM]
Old 27 May 2003, 04:42 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

don't really like carrying stuff on my back as it gets in the way and is uncomfortable
How can it get in the way if it's on your back?

Unless, of course, you fall off a lot and spend most of your time rolling around in the dirt.
Old 27 May 2003, 05:26 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

The solution to keeping camelbacks safe (if not clean) it to store the bladder in the fridge when not in use.
Stops the nasties growing.
Old 27 May 2003, 06:13 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Smile

Stuff on your back gets in the way a: if you have to shoulder your bike or b: if you're ducking under low hanging branches an' stuff. (I had a nasty shock like this once as I was almost wrenched from the saddle at high speed)

UB
Old 27 May 2003, 06:41 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

LOL. When I shouder my bike, it's light enough to sling it over my shoulder - it doesn't go anywhere near my back.

And if you're risking getting hooked on branches by the backpack, then you're probably risking getting hooked by your helmet. TBH, in 3-4 years and about 5,000 miles of riding, I've never had any problems with branches hooking a backpack.
Old 31 May 2003, 05:53 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL MarkO, guess what... I found my old bike computer today. The odometer reads 5046 miles. Add that to my current odometer reading of 1280 miles and it gives a total of 6326 off road miles covered.

Not bad for someone who doesn't ride mountain bikes 'properly' eh? Looks like you have some catching up to do matey.

UB
Old 06 June 2003, 01:16 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Cool

Finally got around to downloading your vid, and I have to say that those trails look mighty impressive. Some evil looking log ramps and steps. I wouldn't fancy some of those in the wet! There is not much to compare to trails on that scale in Surrey although there are some similar technical single tracks where I ride in miniture form. I still think you would benefit from rear sus on that sort of technical downhilling, but what do I know?

Good choice of sountrack too. What mix is that?

UB
Old 06 June 2003, 07:05 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Glad you liked it. The only shame is that apart from maybe the last 5-6 minutes, it doesn't really give a proper impression of the speed or steepness of the descent. Having said that, it's difficult to give a real impression unless you've ridden that sort of thing yourself. My wife thought the first 5 minutes looked like we were just out for a potter to the shops.

The 'northshore' stuff (the raised wooden stuff) is okay in the wet, 'cos it's all well-made and covered in chickenwire. Still looks scary though! What you don't see is the other stuff further up the hill which includes larger drop-offs, and even a see-saw.

Full-sus might help a little on some of the singletrack , but to be honest apart from the very top part the trails are pretty well-made, so they're fast with suspension or without. Guess it depends on the rider a bit, though - I've overtaken plenty of lads with ful-sus. If you had the skills and could make use of the advantage, full-sus would undoubtedly be quicker, but not many people do.

The thing that would make far more difference would be to have another couple of inches travel over my current Judy XCs. Oh, and disk brakes would make a huge difference in the wet, 'cos the mud tends to stop you being able to lock the rear brake and swing the back end around on the switchbacks.

The Timeless mix is just the album version. When I saw the vid was 20 minutes, it was the first track that sprang to mind that would be long enough, and the 'inner city' link struck me as kindof ironic (in a cheesy way ).
Old 06 June 2003, 08:07 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Looks pretty vivid to me, although as you say I know what it's like to ride technical single track. So, is it the Black Route? I assume so. Is it the Boundry trail section? Looking at a map that is where I would estimate it to be. Also what kit dod you use to video it?

cheers.

UB
Old 06 June 2003, 10:45 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nah, it's the red route (although a small part of the route is incorporated in the black route). The black route has a lot more technical stuff, but also a lot more hard climbs and long rocky descents. We're doing it at 8am tomorrow morning.

You can see photos of the kit I used in the 'Mountain Biking' thread in 'Sports'. There's a couple of pics with the helmet-cam on page 4 or 5. It was connected to a Sony DV Cam in a backpack.