Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Questions to ask police when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2003, 09:42 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering about this. Since its a pain being stopped and patronised to sometimes by police, what questions could i ask to waste some of their time if i think they have wasted mine? Can i ask to see their driving licence/insurance? Am i within my rights to perform any checks on the legality of their car, ie mot, tyres etc etc.

Obviously if i feel that ive been fairly treated then these questions would not need to be asked
Old 11 May 2003, 09:45 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

The more you ask, the more you make life hard for yourself and make them more closely at you!

They're (normally) very professional and cover themselves against this type of thing.
Old 11 May 2003, 09:47 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
if theres nothing wrong with your documents car etc, i dont see what u have to lose
Old 11 May 2003, 09:47 PM
UFO
Scooby Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong but surely that is wasting even more of your time.
Old 11 May 2003, 09:51 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Except the margin they allow for polite people.

Been pulled over a few times and always remained friendly and polite. I've avoided about 50% of the fines I could have been given.

Last one was a 53mph in a 30 zone. I was polite and got the guy talking for 10mins and he said "forget the ticket, it's refreshing to talk to someone that doesn't hate me or give me attitude". He then warned me about areas where speed checks are taking place.

They're only people!
Old 11 May 2003, 09:56 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Wink

perhaps this isnt clear enough, but id like these things answered:
"Can i ask to see their driving licence/insurance? Am i within my rights to perform any checks on the legality of their car, ie mot, tyres etc etc."

Old 11 May 2003, 10:04 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

No you're not. No more than you ask anyone else about their car, etc.

Only the relevant authorities can question people on those subjects.

Of course, you are perfectly entitled to ask them to prove they are who they say they are, though! And I think if they lazer you there's a way of making sure their equipment is calibrated.

That last bit may be a rumour, though!
Old 11 May 2003, 10:08 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Why would you want to?
I've got off with some things purely by @ss licking and have no probs admitting it!

I'm sure you could ask but why make a pillock of yourself,not much chance of them being illegal but plenty chance they'll make your life a bit harder!
Old 11 May 2003, 10:13 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

see my revised question bug eye
Old 11 May 2003, 10:28 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Have you ever got that much abuse?

Must just be me but I've not had a single problem with the cops (Ulster) in years,asked to product docs once and the WPC couldn't have been more pleasant.

Mind you they were FA use when I was 'jacked!
Old 11 May 2003, 10:41 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

<perhaps this isnt clear enough, but id like these things answered:
"Can i ask to see their driving licence/insurance? Am i within my rights to perform any checks on the legality of their car, ie mot, tyres etc etc.">
Dont worry about that, just say "Why dont you p1ss off home to your wife and MY kids?"

astraboy.
Old 11 May 2003, 10:48 PM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Try asking here - you are likely to get a more factual answer !

Al
Old 11 May 2003, 11:24 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LMFAO@astraboy

A few months ago i got pulled over by a copper for a random check. Nice bloke and was very interested in the Scoob. We talked for a while and he said i could be on my way. "just before you go" i said, "you might want to get your lights looked at" as he was a side light down.
I did wonder if i should say sommat, but thought sod it. He thanked me and that was that.

Back to the original post - there's no way in this world i would question a copper. Put yourself in their shoes, would you not think next time i clock you at 31mph, you're booked!
Old 12 May 2003, 10:05 AM
T.C
Scooby Regular

If you are an authorised section 52 Road Traffic act vehicle examiner you could examine the legality opf their vehicle, if you carry a warrant card and you are in uniform then you can ask to see their driving licence, but thge reality is you can only ask to see their warrant card as proof of identification and nothing more.

If you are looking to make a complaint against Police then you can ask for their name rank and number as well as the station at which they work.
Old 12 May 2003, 10:17 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Smile

The feds don't have insurance as such, I belive it's summat to do with crown imunity or summat....basically they cover any costs involved should they have an accident.

Round here they don't keep their cars longer than 3 years so they don't need MOT's.

I kinda agree with how the thread is going, sure it's annoying when you get stopped but is it really that much hassle...if you kick up a fuss they're only gonna take a disliking to you and pick up on stuff they prolly would of left if you were polite.

Old 12 May 2003, 10:21 AM
T.C
Scooby Regular

Another point worth bearing in mind is that the Police can detain you at the side of the road for as long as they deem fit to carry out the job.

I pulled a real arsehole once and kept him at the road side for nearly an hour while I went through everything, and then eventually arrested him for an offence I won't go into which detained him even longer. Had he been reasonable it would have taken 5 minutes and he would have been on his way.

I always used to treat members of the public as I myself would like to be treated, and if you bear this in mind the amount of time you are detained will be kept to a minimum.
Old 12 May 2003, 10:30 AM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

BEW same here, except when i was jacked they were very helpful. in my few years of driving i've been stopped countless times and each time given either a nice polite caution or a total rage of a screaming caution but no points/fines. phewww!

steven
Old 12 May 2003, 10:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You are entitled to ask to see his warrant card to prove his identity.

Practically speaking,as most have said, you just need to accept that he is doing the job he is paid for and there is nothing to be gained by making life difficult or unpleasant for him any more than you would like a nasty overbearing attitude from him. I have only experienced that sort of attitude from a policeman twice in many years motoring. A polite considerate attitude from you will get the officer's goodwill and everyone is more likely to go away happy.

Les
Old 12 May 2003, 12:38 PM
rozzer
Scooby Regular

Having done "The job" for a while now I speak to people how I would like to be spoken to and if the person has an attitude problem I find they get more wound up if you remain nice to them. If you start to take th p*** out of an officer it will only go wrong for you.
As they as "Have a nice day"
Old 12 May 2003, 12:55 PM
CarpetCleaner
Scooby Regular

say nothing and take it on the chin. If you commit traffice offences you know the risks

I feel sorry for the ***** what a sh1te job if ever there was one having to put up with lippy spotty kids that a few years ago would have had a smack by the boys in blue

I couldnt be a copper I'd end up in the nick for wiping the smile of 'youfs' faces when they've been arsey *****

I think the police should have greater powers to deal out some justice there and then. Call it a police state mayeb I dunno but on our old estate there was plenty of scum who could've done with a smack