Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Reported for aggressive driving

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2003, 11:21 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Driving to work this morning on my usual run down the M6, notice I'm being tailed by a Police Range Rover, eventually they pull me over.

Police Officer: "We recieved an independent report that you were seen driving aggresively this morning, apparently you were seen driving in lane 3 forcing other vehicles out of your way"

Me: "How would I manage that?"

Police Officer: "We don't know either, but we tailed you for a while and couldn't see any problem with your driving, sorry to have troubled you"

Me: drives back onto the M6 and my Scoobysport exhaust chooses that moment to spit flame

I know who reported me, some ginger guy in a Rover 25 that was hoggng the fast lane when he eventually pulled over he was mouthing obscenities and making hand gestures.

This confirms my experience to date that Police officers are not as bad as they're made out to be, I've never yet met one with an attitude problem even when I've been in the wrong (well, not traffic officers, anyway )

Old 29 April 2003, 11:33 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Like every occupation, there are a few problem cases, with the vast majority being quite good...

The traffic officer who is tutoring me for my advanced driving test is rather good as well - a very interesting attitude to the speed limit
Old 29 April 2003, 12:03 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
The traffic officer who is tutoring me for my advanced driving test is rather good as well - a very interesting attitude to the speed limit
When I was training for my IAM test, I did an overtake that took me to ~90mph in a 60. I was told on the debrief that I might just be pushing things a little bit on a test to get away with that one, but then again.....
As long as I could justify what I did (which I did), then it might not be a problem.

On most occasions I got pulled up for not actually going fast enough, and not making the most of the overtake opportunities.
Old 29 April 2003, 02:23 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Maybe that copper met the ginger bloke and worked out what he was like. Whatever, as you say, they are usually perfectly reasonable as long as you dont get clever and behave yourself. I have only met two in many years driving who were either unpleasant or unfair to me, I think that is a good record really.

Les
Old 29 April 2003, 02:38 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

^Qwerty^ - strangely enough, I've been told similar things - and that I'm not being agressive enough in overtaking things.
Old 29 April 2003, 02:42 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I think the cops should have arrested the other bloke for being a ginger
Old 29 April 2003, 03:12 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

PMSL @ ozzy
Old 29 April 2003, 03:21 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Wink

LOL more like arrest him for possesion of a Rover
Old 29 April 2003, 06:04 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Whats the score if you pull out to overtake a car and accelerate in excess of the speed limit?
I know technically you've broken the speed limit, but you did it to excecute the move as quicky as possible to avoid being in the opposite lane for too long.

I think i've answered my own question, but does anyone have any views on this?

Old 29 April 2003, 06:39 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Personally, I wont overtake if I'm starting at the speed limit. It just seems an 'interesting' one to justify.

Quite happy to justify starting at say, 50 in a 60 zone, and exceeding 60 to pass things.
Old 29 April 2003, 06:50 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I forgot to put that into the question

If you're are following a car at 50mph in a 60mph limit, then you might wish to overtake. In a Scoob for instance, you could be well in excess of 60mph before the pass is completed.
Whats the score?
Old 29 April 2003, 07:04 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Talking

what, he was driving a Rover too

a ginger AND a rover driver; they should've locked him up and thrown away the key

Stefan
Old 29 April 2003, 07:22 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Wink

Blimey Chris Evans driving a Rover :-))
Old 29 April 2003, 07:49 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Eeeeeek! Not a pleasant thought!

John
Old 29 April 2003, 07:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Its called Jealousy !

You with your Scoob and good Genes !
Old 29 April 2003, 08:21 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Red face

Brun,

Last year I overtook 2 cars which were doing 40-45 in a 50 limit (2nd car was too close to one in front to overtake one at a time). Was a clear road, so I carried on accellerating in 4th gear, before reaching a 30 limit (and slowing to 30mph) about 1/4 a mile away.

Unfortunatelly the middle car contained a copper, and in the next town I was set upon by several police cars, and given a fixed penalty. I was thinking of contesting, but the distance I put between me and the two cars made it quite obvious I wasn't doing 55!!

So the answer to your question 'can you exeed the speed limit while overtaking?' is; it probably depends on the personality of the policeman who sees you, or if it's a camera, no.
Old 30 April 2003, 01:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As far as exceeding the speed limit to overtake is concerned, I was told some time ago by a copper that it is theoretically illegal to do so. As far as the law is concerned you are breaking it by exceeding the limit. As someone said, practically it is up to the copper who stops you. Maybe Burr could clear it up for us.

Les
Old 30 April 2003, 01:23 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

haha i'm still laughing at the thought of "Ginger Whinger" in his Rover 25 ... lolmfao

BB
Old 30 April 2003, 01:27 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I got pulled last year by a bike cop on the Cat & Fiddle road. There was a doddery old f*ckwit in a Merc going at 40mph (50 limit).

I see the bike cop behind me, but it's clear and no risk so I pull out, overtake at moderate speed (no more than 55mph). Immediately the bike cop whizzes after me then sits on my tail for the next 3-4 miles.

He then signals me to pull over, and says: "I know he was going slow, but you be careful overtaking, you went over 50mph."

I told him I knew he was there, and know what the speed limit is, and overtook carefully and safely .... got away with it.
Old 30 April 2003, 02:23 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

How much faster do you HAVE TO drive when passing someone else, according to the law in the UK?
Old 30 April 2003, 02:47 PM
CarpetCleaner
Scooby Regular

surely driving down the wrong side of the road while overtaking is a risk....can't see the problem with trying to get back on the correct side of the road ASAP and if that means exceeding the limit then so be it
Old 30 April 2003, 04:16 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a simple law, don't break it.

A 50 limit is just that, a maximum limit. Not a mandatory speed where anyone doing 47 is too slow (though it seems like it at times).

If you have to break the limit overtaking, then
a) you're impatient (want to do 49 when he does 47), or
b) you're overtaking when it is not "safe" to do so.

Not rocket science.
Old 02 May 2003, 12:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have not seen a requirement for a set overtaking speed Claudius,just do it safely if you have to.

I agree with you CC on the speed bit but nevertheless the Law sets the max speed limit and thats it. But as I said-up to the copper involved if he stops you.

Les
Old 02 May 2003, 09:02 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Brendan, have to disagree there. You can get nicked for driving too slow and holding traffic up, at not much less than the speed "limit" and i dont 100% agree with your (B) point either