Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone been to Langkawi , Malaysia ?

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2003, 07:39 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
Has anyone been to Langkawi, Malaysia. We are thinking of going their 4 our honeymoon and have booked trough travelbag, but have found some rather dodgey reports about the hotal anyone ever been here ?
http://www.berjayaresorts.com.my/langkawi-beach/info.html

Or has anyone been to another hotel on the island ??????

cheers.

Old 04 February 2003, 08:48 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Well not been to Langkawi, but am in the process of booking my honeymoon. Planning to stay in the Mandarin Oriental in KL, the Shangri La Saya Rasang in Penang and the Shangri La in Singapore.

Chris
Old 04 February 2003, 09:23 PM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

I work alot in Malaysia and my family and I visited Langkawi last year during one of my breaks.
We spent 1 week in KL, one week in Penang and the final week in Langkawi at the Mutiara Burau Bay.(www.mutiara-buraubay.com).
I can copy and post some brochures to you if your interested.
Really nice resort for a honeymoon. I would recommend you fly (air-asia) to the island as the ferry from Penang we took was really rough. It depends on the time of year you travel though. There are flights (not expensive) from KL.
E-mail me if you want further details.
Old 04 February 2003, 10:08 PM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

I've been to the island a few years back, 1998. Hotels I stayed in where the Pelangi Beach, nice hotel and gardens. Friendly people. Hired a jeep and had a good look around the island. If you do hire a car/jeep, head to the middle of the island and drive to the top of the mountain, great mountain road especially when the brakes weren't the best!! You can't miss it, the communication mast is right at the top! Some fantastic views once you get to the top.

It did look like an island that was getting ready to be built on, ie loads of hotels etc. Head off to the Datai and the Andaman hotels if you want to experience being in the jungle, excellent golf course close by. Things were quite cheap when I was there, car hire £10 a day and I remember the petrol being around 12p a litre!!!

I would recommend a visit to Kuala Lumpur, maybe stayover either on the way there or when you are coming back.

Only disadvantages was the time spent getting there, well over 24 hours from leaving London and getting to the island!!! And when we went in the February time, the temperatures were at almost 40 degrees.

http://www.pelangibeachresort.com/
Old 04 February 2003, 10:15 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Went quite a few years ago. Stayed at the Langkawi Island Resort. Remember going for a trek into the jungle/forest with a local man. Got to see some massive caves full of bats etc.

Boat trip to local islands was also good fun. Just cant remember any of the names.

Simon.
Old 04 February 2003, 10:44 PM
Raz
Scooby Regular

I stayed at the Tanjung Rhu Resort a few years back and was very impressed.

When I had the time I also checked out the Morac go-kart track near
the airport. It was hardly used and I had the track all to myself most times.

Make sure you also check when the rainy season is on, when I went I think it was
April time and it rained nearly every day.
Old 05 February 2003, 08:45 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Molby man , your profile is empty , how can i mail u, what was the maturiara bay like ????
Old 05 February 2003, 09:35 PM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

re. Mutiara Burau Bay beach resort. About 20 mins by taxi from the airport. Loads of local attractions but remember that this island is duty free to encourage tourists there so its not "developed" to the extent of European resorts. Local attractions include waterfalls (bl**dy long climbs to most of them!). You will enjoy the kart-circuit next to the airport...used for international races (Sept. usually). There is the largest underwaterworld in Asia in Langkawi...pretty good with loads of really strange aquatic life. Local shopping in the capital is not brilliant but there are some good bargins as its duty-free.
Malay people are v.v. friendly. The staff at the resort were great, the local beach cafe (Seashell cafe)is open all day/night and has a band most nights + the usual pool table.
The beach is great and you can hire jet skis there.
The resort comprises of small cabanas with 1 room + bathroom. These are q.close together but you won't hear anything because the birds/insects are so noisy! The resort is on the edge of a rain forest and trips into this can be arranged at the resort. There is nothing within walking distance worth seeing but taxis are v.v. cheap. We hired one for the whole day and went around the whole island. Jeeps can be rented. Roads are really quiet but watch out for the monkey families on the side of the roads!
There is a pool at the resort with lots of sun-beds.
Overall a pretty good resort although I would recommend only one week there...its too easy to get bored after that.
Are you considering anywhere else? Penang is an excellant Island to visit for a week..again you don't need longer than this to see most of the sights.
Old 06 February 2003, 01:39 PM
Stuffed Badger
Scooby Regular

If you are going out that way to Malaysia I would recommend a visit to Tioman Island,a piece of paradise, and of course being half Singaporian you must go there, if you want I could get my cousins to show you some good places to go.But whever you decide to go have a fantastic time.!
Old 06 February 2003, 02:02 PM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

stayed at the pelangi beach hotel, langkawi in 1994. v nice then, purpose-built for the 1987 G7 summit. lots of huts on stilts, good variety of food, two restaurants on site plus a few excellent beach shack eateries, good beaches, great value. barring a disastrous downmarket slide since then, top place.

i'd *really, really* recommend pangkor laut on pangkor island, especially for a honeymoon (south of langkawi on the west coast). drop dead splendid, 300 acres, one resort, seven restaurants.

don't bother with kuoni, try hayes & jarvis, page & moy or tomorrow's world. all will be at least £300-£400 quid cheaper than kuoni, equalling more cash for cocktails.
Old 02 May 2003, 09:19 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I remember the petrol being around 12p a litre!!!
Whaaaat??? Its gone up?????!! Isn't anything sacred these days? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I'd also recommend stocking up on computer gear there. Its really dirt cheap the last time I was there (around the same price as in Singapore).

[Edited by Katana - 2/5/2003 9:21:03 PM]