Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Flying Lessons

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2003, 11:31 AM
Scooby_Loo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

A week ago today, to my dismay, I turned 20. Fortunately I got lots of nice gifts to cheer me up, including a 30 minute flying lesson which, through sheer excitement, gave me goosepimples .

I was wondering if any of you lot have had one before? If so, was it any good and did you get much control over the plane?

Loo
Old 20 April 2003, 12:03 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

Nothing to be scared of. If you're lucky, the instructor might let you have the controls for a couple of minutes. He'll definitely do the takeoff and landing.

Ask him to pull some tight turns or pull out of a dive. Then you'll find out what G-forces are really like

Last time I went, my mate let me do the final approach. I let the speed drop too much, the stall warning buzzer sounded and he had to take over. Maybe next time I'll make the runway.
Old 20 April 2003, 03:20 PM
ariel
Scooby Regular

I am sure you'll love it. You will certainly be allowed to have control at some point. First you'll gain some height and establish straight and level flight and your instructor will demonstrate the effect of the controls on the aircraft. You could have a play with a flight sim for a bit of an idea though they are a bit limited if you have never flown. Just remember that you can relax as there will always be the instructor to take control at any time. Listen well and watch to learn, have a light touch on the controls and be smooth.
Old 20 April 2003, 07:20 PM
BBB Gadget Man
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Had my licence since 1990.

Just remember to relax, enjoy the moment and don't get bitten by the flying bug ... too much ... costs way more than running the Scoob!!
Old 20 April 2003, 07:51 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've had one in a small Cessna.

The first thing you notice is how small the cockpit is and how at the mercy of the elements you are.The first bit of wind and you're all over the place.I was foolish enough to ask what happens if there's an engine failure,so guess what,..he turned off the engine and we went into freefall.......bloody scary i'll tell you.

Having said that its great fun,flying over Sheffield should be cool,you seem to travel really slowly,obviously it cos you're so high.

Enjoy it girl.Its fun.
Old 20 April 2003, 10:12 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Pick a nice day, and they might let you take it off, they did me!

When that gets to about 80, pull back this far, on that....

Job done.

In reality, the pilot was still controlling the throttle and rudder and dialed in a load of elevator trim so the plane would have taken off by it's self soon after I pulled on the yoke.

Was a very cool day, flew over my house (with my name mown in garden ) followed a river out to sea, flew low over the coast, and took loads of photos.
I still really want to do my PPL, just can't quite justify the expense yet .
Old 20 April 2003, 11:18 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

yeah, on my first lesson, apart from take off and landing i pretty much got to "play" with the controls the whole time
Old 21 April 2003, 01:15 PM
Fat Boy Slim
Scooby Regular

Had my license since the age of 17 courtesy of an RAF Scholarship, you will love it no matter what the weather or conditions are like. Depending on who you get depends greatly on what they will let you do.

Go and have some serious fun, expensive old hobby though if you do decide to go and get your license......
Old 21 April 2003, 06:25 PM
Scooby_Loo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for that guys

I am sooooo excited about it. I know for definate that I will want to take it further, but I will have to wait a good wee while yet (just bought a house).

Fat Boy: I am kicking myself though, I foolishly dropped out of the RAF at the age of 16. A free pilots license, god damnit. I suppose a masters in astrophysics will have to do