Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cats on my garden!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2003, 03:06 PM
Glenn_R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Anyone got any good tips for stopping cats using my flowerbeds as a toilet?? They just ignore the pellets I keep putting down.

Cheers
Old 19 April 2003, 03:11 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Nerve gas
Old 19 April 2003, 03:47 PM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

Did i once hear something about ground pepper ... can't remember for sure, I think it was more of an indoor solution to your problem (aside from just not letting the smelly ****** in the house)

H
Old 19 April 2003, 03:49 PM
Hammy Hamster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

May be some clues here.

Old 19 April 2003, 04:26 PM
Red Scooby widdow
Scooby Regular

Jeyes fluid, bleach, orange peel, empty pop bottles ? (dunno why but they sometimes work), pepper dust, Get off My Garden Crystals, and if all else fails, Renardine. Its really for keeping foxes out of the garden but it stinks to high heaven.
There's also the electronic pest controllers, not cheap but they do work. Good luck !
Old 19 April 2003, 04:41 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Jeyes fluid, bleach
That'll **** the flowers up and probably kill the cat [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

If they bother you that much then try one of these.

Automatic cat squirter
Old 19 April 2003, 04:43 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

More stuff here.

Nuisance Pet Control
Old 19 April 2003, 04:51 PM
Glenn_R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers for the suggestions guys. Love the Automatic cat squirter - keeps the cat off the flowerbeds and washes the Scoob's alloys at the same time!!!!
Old 19 April 2003, 06:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Old fashioned moth ***** in the flower beds.

Les
Old 19 April 2003, 09:05 PM
Many Humbug Returns
Scooby Regular

a very old scoobynet chestnut this....one or two classic threads in the past about annoying pussies....
Old 19 April 2003, 09:33 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

Cool

Go to a search engine and type 'xm1014'

You can't beat a Benelli
Old 19 April 2003, 10:00 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Angry

Have a look at my thread.

Cats away thread

I'm considering designing an electric fence that I can use with fine wire with just the right amount of current to scare the ba**ards away, of course I might have one or two accidents getting the voltage and current right.

I have tried succesfully a fence designed for goat/sheep fields and it worked well but was unsightly as it used thick orange cable.

I need to find out how I stand legally though.

Lee
Old 19 April 2003, 10:14 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
As long as it is rated at a voltage that shocks but does not kill, I would suspect you are within rights. If it was against humans you'd have to put up warning notices, but no need for cats I'd guess. Ask on five-oh! You'd probably have to make sure there is no way the animal could get trapped in the wire, or get through and then find itself caught between the pond (drowning) and the fence (shocking).

Have you tried talking with vets? They might have some suggestions - either on the legal issues, or for keeping the cats away, or on the correct voltage. Go to a vet near a farm, they might tell you stories about what has/hasn't happened to a certain size of animal when it comes into contact with X volts.

Good luck, I'm watching your other thread with interest. I like cats, we have two, but you have a good reason for your actions and I appreciate you're not just having a pop with an airgun.

Brendan
Old 19 April 2003, 10:19 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Just got an e-mail from a neighbour. The local authority classify anything a resident does that causes distress to other residents or damage to their property as a breach of new law that has recently been introduced by the Government to combat nuisance nieghbours.

He suggests that those of us who have this problem, I think it will be about ten of us on our street, write and sign a letter into the council. There are three or four houses who own the cats.

Might be worth a try.

Lee
Old 20 April 2003, 01:51 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

Get a cat, they never do it on their own garden, and no other cats will come on their terratory
Old 20 April 2003, 03:28 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
anything a resident does
I spy a get-out. If I was arguing for the other side, I would say the cat is uncontrollable and say therefore that the resident hasn't done it. You'd reply and tell him to keep his cat indoors then. He'd say that was cruel after a lifetime of being let out. Etc etc ad nauseam.

Oh, BTW, to add to my last post, I think you should at least do a little local mailshot to say you are putting up an electric fence designed to shock not to kill, after vets' advice, etc etc, due to constant financial and emotional loss from cats. Juuuuust in case you have a neighbour who owns a rare and expensive cat that also has a heart condition . Give them warning, so you keep squeaky clean.

Good luck

Brendan

[Edited by Brendan Hughes - 4/20/2003 3:30:57 PM]
Old 21 April 2003, 01:10 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cats are digging up your flower bed because they are defining the limits of their "property". The property extends into your garden because you don't have a cat. They are using a particular flower bed because you've prepared it so well for them.

First option is to discuss the problem with the cat's owners. They should have the resources to discuss options with you. They may have no idea of the problem & be willing to help you.

Next, you could either redirect the cats to a suitable place, by laying a bed of sand in a hidden corner behind your garden shed!

Shouting at, or chasing the cat is not an option as the cat will quickly learn that it must only go in the garden when you are not around. The negative attraction should be dissassociated from humans. Therefore a remote alert can help very quickly. Restrict routes into your garden by putting that curved latice stuff on top your fence. Determine the main routes used & place a remote loudspeaker controlled from your house. Watch when the cat approaches & trigger the air horn, siren etc. It's important to do this EVERY time the cat approaches, so stay at home for a long weekend, or tie in with the cats owners & ask them to ring you every time they let out their cat. Remember that it's no good telling off the cat. Movement detector cat alarms can be ought for less than £50 & these are very good.

Please do not hurt a cat or any animal just because it's owners have not provided for it correctly. It's the owners fault - not the cat.

Regards
Nick
Old 21 April 2003, 01:16 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

I have a problem with a male cat every time i clean my car with Zymol it comes along late evening and pisses all over my front bumper and splitter....
Old 21 April 2003, 01:35 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

It's renewing it's scent. You've buggered up the scent with Zymol & it's refreshing the scent again. Cta's are drawn to an old scent smell, so you need to clean off the scent properly. However, I'm not sure what the effect would be on paintwork...!

How to clean a cat's scent is to clean with a solution of biological washing powder & then clean again with white spirit. I have no idea what the effect on your paint will be!!!!!!

Then use the system above to discourage the cat from your car by making a loud noise that is REMOTE FROM YOU every time the cat goes near.

Nick
Old 21 April 2003, 01:49 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Its clear to see that the problem is humans introducing large numbers of these animals into towns and cities where they do not belong.

Nick,
You are right its not the animals fault its the owners, therfore the owners should pay for all the equipment required to prevent their cat damaging other peoples property.
We have gone down the talking to the owner route and all we got was abuse.

I'll let everyone know what the council says later this week.

Lee
Old 21 April 2003, 02:03 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Good luck Lee, we have a large country house & keep our cat indoors at all times due to danger on our local roads. If I was to let my cat out, I would definately buy my neighbour a sonic cat repellant.

It sounds like you have a neighbour problem more than a cat problem as such.
Old 21 April 2003, 05:13 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
You aren't going to stop a cat doing what comes naturally though - they're wilful and obstinate little gits!
Most of our neighbours have cats (us included) be we only have small problem with the one huge tomcat who thinks he owns our garden (previous owners encouraged him as he can be quite cute). Got some stuff at the garden centre to discourage him and put some of our cat-less neighbour's gargen as well to ensure our cat didn't return the favour