Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DVD Video recorders?

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2003, 03:29 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My dad's considering one of these as a replacement for his VCR, and asked my advice about what to buy. Now I'm not a huge buff on Home Cinema, but from what I've read the DVD video recorders are still at a very early stage - there's no real winning standard, and they're also very expensive (he's been quoted £400 for a Panasonic job).

I suggested that the best thing to do would be for him to get Sky+ or something similar, and if he wants to copy home movies to DVD he should get a DVD writer for his PC. But I thought I'd ask here too, as I know there's a lot of HC experts here who would be able to give me the definitive answer.

So, what's the story - should he buy one, or wait? If he should buy, which make/model?

Any opinions (on-topic ones ) gratefully accepted.
Old 30 March 2003, 04:36 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Personally i'd tell him to get a cheapo VCR until they come down in price and the format is more established.I dont know anyone thats got one.
Old 30 March 2003, 04:47 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

That was my thought - I pointed out to him that out of the numerous technophiles and gadget freaks I know I've not heard of a single person who's even considered buying one. Just that in itself is probably a good enough indicator of the situation.

Problem is, he's got himself a copy of What HiFi? and read a review of a couple of models, and seems to think that shows they're a good buy. <sigh>

Old 30 March 2003, 06:54 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Just to let you know you're not able to transfer programs from SKY+ to a DVD Writer on your PC, you can only archive them off if you have a DVD Recorder.

The SKY+ box records the programs using the raw satellite data, then when you watch them back the box decrypts as normal - therefore you're not able to transfer to a pc etc.

Old 30 March 2003, 07:00 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Fair enough. I thought it worked like Tivo where it was possible to transfer stuff onto DVD via a PC if necessary.

The point was that my dad was thinking that as well as using the DVD recorder as a VCR replacement, he could also use it to copy home video onto DVD. My thought was that he'd be better off (both in terms of simplicity and editing features) to use his PC and get a DVD-RW drive for that, and stick to a VCR or Sky+ for his day-to-day TV watching requirements.
Old 30 March 2003, 07:26 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Smile

i remember seeing on the news that the formates are differnt from make to make, and theres no std recording as yet bit, like betamax v`s vhs, so what might happen is you make a collection of recordings and say in 10 years time that machine packs in and you replace it and the formates are differnt, you end up with a collection that is usless.
some will be able to explaine this a bit better hopefully

mike

[Edited by FASTER MIKE!! - 3/30/2003 8:28:04 PM]
Old 30 March 2003, 09:12 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Saw a Panasonic reviewed in the paper with 40 gig hard drive and dvd recorder in one box making very easy to archive stuff. RRP £1000 or £800 off the net.
Old 30 March 2003, 10:20 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

MarkO,

Has he already got Sky ? If not, maybe he would consider FreeView and use a Pace Twin. I got mine on Friday and it is a damn good bit of kit. I'm upgrading the hard disc myself in the next few days to give 30 hours recording (from 10).

Cheers

Ian
Old 31 March 2003, 08:03 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Hi Ian,

I really like the look of the Pace Twin. Can you please provide me with information on the upgrade process for the hard disk, as 10 hours seems a little on the mean side and if I can easily upgrade then I'd be tempted. Feel free to email me as per profile or post on here any links.

cheers
Joolz
Old 31 March 2003, 12:20 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

So the summary is to tell him not to bother, yes?
Old 31 March 2003, 02:07 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't spend my money on it, that's for sure!
I know someone who just walked into local hifi store not knowing what he wanted. Came out with DVD player, AND a DVD recorder
Don't you just love salesmen!

Joolz
Old 31 March 2003, 02:53 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Interesting thread here which seems to think the Panasonic E50 might be a good buy....