Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Transferring Reg # From (almost) Scrapped Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2003, 12:05 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Way back in 1981 my Grandad bought a Mk1 Fiesta. This car has been his since and i had always expected it to be his last. He had always been proud of the reg number (XDV ??X), although not personal, carried symmetrical X's, the number of his house and DV as in 'Davey'.

I had never mentioned it before but i had always thought that when things came round i would like to transfer the registration onto my car at the time and keep it in the family thereafter.

To my horror Mum got off the phone to Gran earlier on and tells me he has bought a Clio from his local garage and had arranged for the Fiesta to be towed away (not starting) on Wednesday.

Now, how do i go about getting the number onto the Impreza? What implications are there?

Is it a case of calling the garage, arranging to 'buy' the car and then trasferring the reg onto the Impreza? If so, what do i do with the Fiesta i have 'bought' and how do i go about scrapping it with no Reg #?

Please bear in mind that the Grandparents (and the Fiesta) are in Devon and i am in Aberdeenshire...

Also, the Fiesta is in really good condition bar the starting problem so may not be a 'scrapper', could i put an altogether different reg number on it?
Old 30 March 2003, 01:41 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Fiesta needs mot on it.
Old 30 March 2003, 01:43 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Smile

You need to get the 'plate put on retention, at which point the DVLA will issue a new registration for the car the 'plate is being taken from. To have the right to apply for the plate to be put on retention you need to be the registered keeper of the vehicle.

See here for more information.

Can you not get your grandfather to tell the garage he's changed his mind and either get him to apply for the plate to be put on retention, or fill in the V5 to make you the registered keeper?
Old 30 March 2003, 01:45 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Smile

If your grandfather applies for the 'plate to be put on retention, he can still get the garage to take the car away once a new registration has been assigned to it.
Old 30 March 2003, 04:26 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Fiesta is road legal so no worries there.

Thanks TK, am looking into it.
Old 30 March 2003, 04:34 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Problem atm is that the car has been taken away and is now in the possesion of the garage. Grandad has the 'too late' attitude at present although he thinks its a good idea - he just wishes (like me) that i mentioned it. Gran has been on the phone to the garage and they seem happy to transfer it onto my car... Not complaining about that but it'd be nice to know how it's going to work.

Think the Fiesta is going to be scrapped judging by the impression the garage gave my Gran.

Will be on the phone to the DVLA first thing tommorow morning and then the garage! Fingers crossed.