Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tips for selling on EBAY?

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2003, 02:00 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Over this weekend I want to sell a brand new mobile phone and in-car charger on EBAY. But iv never used it to buy or sell, so any tips on what to do and what not to do would be geat.
Even tips on setting up the auction would be nice.

Ray
Old 12 March 2003, 02:03 PM
ChrisB

I'd say be very cautious of overseas bidders.
Old 12 March 2003, 02:07 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Would it be best to keep it in the UK?
Old 12 March 2003, 02:07 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Never relaease the goods until you have cleared funds in your bank or your hand. Only accept bids from within the UK and list the item as buyer pays postage then add this to the auction ammount before finalising the transaction.

Ask qestions to the buyer and look at their feeback especially for reports of previous non payment.

Remember that e-bay will take a percentage of the sale in commission so include this in the price to ensure you get what YOU want for it.

I hope this helps.
Old 12 March 2003, 02:21 PM
lucky_golf
Scooby Regular

Post a picture of what your selling, people like to see what they are bidding on.

Great site, ive never had any probs.
Old 12 March 2003, 02:49 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Post a picture, people like that, only sell in UK, make sure you either get cash or wait for fund to clear before sending item, and be prepared for some time wasters.... in my experience.
Old 12 March 2003, 03:04 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I agree with all of the above. It's also worth taking the time to get the best picture you can (without stealing one from elsewhere - a shot taken from a shop or manufacturer's web site accompanies just about every scam going).

It's also worth making sure that your description is complete, written in good English without any typos, and formatted sensibly. Don't use fancy fonts or colours, they just look naff. Also avoid SHOUTING, or lots of !!!!!!! and *******'s.

Good luck
Andy.
Old 12 March 2003, 04:45 PM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

Also be aware that as you have no buying or seling record on eBay many potential buyers will be suspicious of your auction.
Many consider that a newly regisatered first-time seller selling a relatively expensive item is a possible scam.

You may find that it doesn't sell for the same as other similar phones.
Old 12 March 2003, 05:19 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Agree with Silent Monkey,ebayers with zero feedback and sunnies always put me off on high value items but you have to start somewhere so try and reassure the bidders that you are a reliable and honest seller...Normally a good ways is put on your auction that you are willing to answer any questions on the item so you can reassure any potential buyer's.

Otherwise goodluck and don't forget to put a reserve on your item or it might sell way under what its worth.
Old 12 March 2003, 08:23 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

interesting, I don't put reserves on my stuff, just start the auction at the min price I would sell it for. then in the description say "NO RESERVE"

Do you rekcon it's better to start lower with a reserve?

greg
Old 12 March 2003, 08:33 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I've never set a reserve... Just a low start price
Old 12 March 2003, 08:40 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Re. the no history bit - put something in your description to the effect that you'd be happy for the buyer to collect. If you can be arsed with talking to people then you can offer to discuss the item on the phone prior to auction end as well.

Old 12 March 2003, 09:15 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've sold quite a bit of stuff and sometimes for great prices.My tips are..

1.Have a good photograph of everything your selling,ie a clear one of the phone then one of everything,ie phone ,case extra's etc so that any buyer can see exactly what there getting.

2.Good clear description,as much info as possible,dont forget the buyer knows nothing except for what you tell them.

3.The fact you have no/low feedback makes no difference imo,everyone starts somewhere.

4.I always include my mobile number and email addy in the advert.(Not many people do this,i know)

5.I always set a reseve,ALWAYS.Also i start the auction off really low.That way you gets more bids which creates interest.Items for sale with no bids after a few days puts people off imo.

6.With a phone,only sell to UK.Also tell them how much the postage is in the advert.

Dont forget they dont know you,have not seen the item and are expected to pay for something before they recieve it,therefore try to create an impression of honesty and trust-worthyness.

Thats it.