Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Blooming credit card companies!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2003, 09:34 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I had issues in the past with a certain credit card company.

They gave me late charges when they shouldn't have. I'd spend time on the phone to different people trying to sort it out. I even let one go for an easy life!

I request direct debit forms on 5 occassions, but again nothing turns up. I ask again, and the person on the phone is 'stroppy' with me as "one has already been sent out".

The annoying thing at the time was that I wasn't in a position to pay off the balance and tell them what to do with their card!!!!

Now I'm in a position to sort it out, I call them up today to cancel the card and they offer to...

* repay the last late charge
* lower the interest rate
* re-evaluate my credit limit
* set up a direct debt over the phone (although they couldn't before)
* leave the account dormant (as it won't cost anything)

But out of principle I insist that the card is cancelled and a final statement is sent out!

They could have offered all these things about 3 months ago and it would have kept me as a customer! Instead they'll have someone mouthing off about how bad their service is!!! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 04 March 2003, 10:57 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mine refunded late charges this month when they hadnt taken any late payments... result. Was due to a mix-up at the building society that provides the card, which meant the payment for that month bounced - but they hadn't charged the late payment penalty - they'd just suspended the card.

Andy
Old 04 March 2003, 01:44 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Andy - Which card company? I had problems with a green one before Chrimbo. When I called to cancel they offered to up my rating and put me on the 0% for 6 months deal that new clients get. I shall hold on until the end of the deal and then cancal anyway
Old 04 March 2003, 03:28 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Get your charges back from them, and then cancel the card anyway a week after you get the statement showing they've actually done what they said :grrr:. There's plenty of other companies out there that will offer you 0% for a few months, and you won't have that bitter taste in your mouth when using the card.

$0.02
Joolz
Old 04 March 2003, 05:29 PM
FERRARINUTTER
Scooby Regular

It cost 8 times the amount in terms of marketing to get new people on board, therefore don't give anything away till the customer has gone.........

Big Banks have become an easy target under the current "lets claim environment/culture"

One person I recall wanted a bank to pay for piriton tablets as the bank had put fresh flowers in the banking hall.......WTF????
Old 04 March 2003, 06:13 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I like to think I've been factual, so hopefully this isn't seen as just ranting and mud slinging.

The credit card company is MBNA.

No issue with Egg, who have been fantastic in my book! But don't get me started on First Direct!! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] There is a catalogue of errors, but the only thing in their favour is that they've always sorted it out!
Old 04 March 2003, 07:20 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Andy I had the same with them now they are as good as gold. If you want even worse try Captial one who are the worst compnay I have ever dealt with.

AllanB
Old 04 March 2003, 10:30 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

AllanB,

Can you give me some details m8 about C1

Dave.
Old 04 March 2003, 10:40 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

I had very similar problems a few years ago with a credit card company - they did actually send me DD mandates, they just lost 5 of them when I sent them back. I couldn't get anything sorted out at all.

And then they sent me a customer satisfaction survey - oh, how I enjoyed filling that in .....

Two days later I got a very nice letter from someone much more important than the monkeys I'd been speaking to. All charges removed and some extra money in the account - they've been perfect ever since.
Old 05 March 2003, 07:58 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Cancelling credit cards may go against your credit rating... so some reason I forget after being told it was important by a FA.
Old 05 March 2003, 08:10 AM
Timbo33
Scooby Regular

MaTTel,

It's probably the other way around, you've got more chance of getting a bad credit rating by having too much credit.

I now have about 8 credit cards 'cos I've simply paid the balances off the less advantageous ones and, if necessary moved the balance to the interest free ones.

But I've just been turned down by Lloyds TSB due to credit scoring and in their letter they say they assess the affordability of the user's credit. They're probably just fussy 'cos I've got my Tesco Platinum and Capital One cards o.k. but I'm beginning to think I should ditch some of the other cards I'm not using anymore.
Old 05 March 2003, 09:23 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

If you do not use cards you should cancel them. Part of the credit score process will tot up the total amount of credit you have available. If you have 6 cards with a 5 grand limit on each you have 30k of credit that you could potentially use but probably wont. Usually having 3 or 4 cards well managed will work in your favour, but any more can have a negative effect. They may also choose not to give you one if you take a 0% card for 6 months then transfer it and cancel immediately a number of times. Your credit score may be fine, but they will see they are unlikely to make anything from you. I usually hold each card for about 2 years, with major balances living on one 0% card at any given time, using an older card for daily use.