Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DVD playback - Anygood on a PS2?

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2001, 09:09 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right,

This kinda determins whether I get a PS2 really, otherwise it is the land of regular DVD player for me!

So is the PS2 a good player of DVD movies?
If I buy the DivX(?) plugin job for £20 will it play all different region's movies (including RCE ones)?
Are the DVD remotes any good?
Is it a pain to sort out?

Then assuming the the PS2 is good, where should I buy one (with a memory card, DivX, DVD remote, GT3 etc? and maybe a wheel if I can get one which works on both PC and PS2?)?

Sorry so many questions, but my missus is away and has agreed to getting a DVD set up!
Not mentioned the 32" widescreen and 5.1 speaker set I'm planning on though, well, she won't notice the difference surely!

Jon

[This message has been edited by polarbearit (edited 10 September 2001).]
Old 10 September 2001, 09:55 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Hi Jon

I have both a playstation 2 and a stand alone one (pioneer 525) to be honest i can't tell the difference between the two on sound or picture quality, but there are a couple of annoying problems with the playstation

1) It's very noisey.
2) Using the control pad is tricky (for me anyway )

Don't know what the remotes are like as i've not bothered with one as it's not my main dvd player, same rules apply to the region free thing.
Personally if it were a choice between gt3 and dvd or just dvd i'd pick the former everytime

Si
Old 10 September 2001, 10:13 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Sony DVD remote for £19.99, looks like, err, a DVD remote!! Also gets you the latest DVD drivers!

Greg

PS Can't compare DVD playback as I only have the PS2, connected to a nice surround sound system via optical cables!
Old 10 September 2001, 10:15 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Cool

DVD playback is better than I expected it to be. Sony are releasing an official remote 'soon' with updated DVD drivers as well.

I use a Guillemot Ferrari Force Feedback wheel on my PC and PS2 as it has a USB connecter. Works with pedals as well. Cost 90 quid when I got it last year.

Not sure on how well DivX works, not bothered with it meself as I only have region 2 movies.

Where to buy one.....whoever has the best deal on at the time

PS2 also has optical outs. Mine goes through a Videologic DTS system so you can have dolby digital and DTS (for those few films that support it )

I'm glad I didn't rush out and buy a standalone DVD player Just waiting for the 'proper' remote now.
Old 10 September 2001, 10:18 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Greg you pain You covered half my points whilst I was composing

I'll keep my posts shorter in future
Old 12 September 2001, 06:06 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Have mentioned before but never had anyone agree or disagree, try the Official Sony S-VHS cable £19.99 Obviously you need an S-VHS port on Telly or have an S-VHS Video player, albeit pretty hard to come by, i found it not only improved the picture quality of the DVD's it also improved the clarity of the graphics on te games by about 10%.

Anyone agree / disagree

FM
Old 12 September 2001, 06:16 PM
GregD
Scooby Regular

Do you mean the Sony official "S-Video" cable, F-M? If so, I'd agree. Shelled out for this for my PS2 and things are much sharper. Toying with the idea of a Sony Dolby Digital Amp for mine. I have an Aiwa Dolby Prologic "mini" system gathering dust in the loft but it's too chunky and black plastic for the Missus to give it floorspace in our lounge. PS2 currently connected to a diddy Sony CD-system which looks nice but is weedy.

I'd also agree with a PS2 over a standalone DVD player anyday. GT3 is the nuts plus some forthcoming games look the business: Burnout, MGS2, ISS etc.
Old 12 September 2001, 07:06 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

My first PS2 was faulty and now the second one is doing the same thing. Picture gets lighter then darker. Very annoying after a while so I'm not too impressed with the quality so far. Might just be unlucky and have had 2 from a bad batch.

The DVD playback on my G4 Cube seems a little better and its nowhere near as noisy as the PS2.

AllanB
Old 12 September 2001, 07:54 PM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Agree with all points above.

The other reason you will want the divx cartridge is that it will allow you to play the dvds through a scart connector without the lovely green tinge.

Or so I've been told, I've not bothered as I have a stand alone unit.

Andrew.
Old 12 September 2001, 11:45 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

AllanB,

How are you connecting your PS2? If it's daisy chained through your video, then Macrovision (anti-copying feature) may be doing the dark/light trick.

ref others, the Sony PS2 remote is out now, I got mine from blockbusters.

greg
Old 13 September 2001, 11:43 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yep watched Pitch Black on region1 DVD last night using RegionX thingy.

When I bought regionx also got an S-VHS connection which I can put in the front of the Hitachi telly. Excellent results, but noticed picture was very "pixellated", not so it spoile it, but I wonder if it is the TV set rather than the DVD.

Also had a go of FIFA 2001 using the S-VHS lead on the 32" widescreen, wow!! Normally play via Scart on a 21", what a difference 11" and a "better" connection make.

Where can I buy an official Sony Remote for the PS2 online?