Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2000, 01:37 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Taken from news site on the web!!!!!!

Read why Sony has decided to treat UK gamers even worse than US gamers. Sega benefits.

Sega is reaping the rewards of the PlayStation 2 shortage in the UK, according to Bloomberg News. "The United Kingdom's long wait for Sony's 128-bit computer game and DVD movie player ended yesterday in disappointment for thousands of enthusiasts after the country's 165,000 pre-Christmas allocation sold out in advance," says the news agency.

With the shortage of PlayStation 2 units, gamers opted for Sega Dreamcasts instead. "Sales of Dreamcast are going through the roof," commented David Fogel, spokesman for the U.K.'s largest toy retailer, Hamleys Plc. "It's all very well creating 10 percent less than the market requires to create a shortage, but Sony aren't even supplying ... what the market wants," he added. Dreamcast also surged at Electronics Boutique, the UK's largest software chain. "We've seen really good growth on Dreamcast sales," reported Lisa Morgan, commercial director at Electronics Boutique.

Shortages aren't the only thing plaguing UK gamers. The latest fiasco involves the much lauded DVD playback features of the PS2 game console. Unfortunately, it seems that the PAL PS2 will not play DVD's through the scart lead, forcing gamers to use an RF cable! Unbelievable that Sony would expect gamers to lose the whole point of DVD playback by using ancient, unstable RF to view their favorite movies. Just when we thought that Sony couldn't further disappoint gamers...

John Benn

Sony: Making the Saturn launch look smooth...

Shaun.
Old 28 November 2000, 02:03 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X Box looks likely to sweep up after then!

P.
Old 28 November 2000, 02:13 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Doesn't play DVD through SCART eh? Hmmmm, wonder how mine does it then as it's only connected to the TV by SCART?

I suspect that there's a lot of people knocking the PS2 just because of the **** up that Sony made of the pre-order system. Comparing it to PS1, it's miles ahead and that's what counts. The fact is that people are loyal to Sony because they see it as market leader. Sega is too much a kiddie's machine - it doesn't have the "grown up" image that Sony are pushing on PS2 and that will hinder it.

Sony were bang on in making the PS2 backward compatible with PS1. That's what'll get them most sales.
Old 28 November 2000, 02:22 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Graphics are still pants compared to a half decent PC

Games are definately not really aimed at adults, i.e they are purely arcadey

The only games that make it from consoles to PCs are poor when compared to the PCs "own games".

so why buy one?

ok, I give in, they are CHEAP!

Old 28 November 2000, 02:42 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Richard,

Scart can be either Audio and Video or RGB. The article refers to RGB output via the scart connector, which is the best quality image you can supply to a TV.

You can connect via the Scart to normal AV, but the article suggests it is RGB. I cannot comment as I have a JAP one!

But then again because mine is one of the first, it has:

1) Been hacked for multi region play
2) Will play ALL DVD's in RGB
3) I can copy DVD's on to video tape (digital or analogue) in RGB.
4) Mine doesnt have the green HUE either

These are some of the reasons why I always buy JAP imports, cause they always seem to forget certain sercurity things on initial launch!!!

Shaun.
Old 28 November 2000, 02:52 PM
Dario
Scooby Regular

Where do people get this dodgy information from.

You can play DVD's through a scart lead (just not RGB as it disables the macrovision copy protection)

The PlayStation 2 does not have an RF lead - so they're talking b*llocks!

Back to work

Dario
Old 28 November 2000, 02:56 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Dario,

As I suggested, I would assume that the article is on about the RGB scart connection.

RF Lead.....but you can buy them separately

Shaun.