Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do you like or Own a dog?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2003, 10:20 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The high light of my day was getting a Tetanus jab after being bitten by a dog on the bum.
I was at my dads club where we were borrowing some tools, I was pushing a wheel barrow past a group of people and got about 15 to 20 yards from them when I heard a dog running up behind me, then whack he took bite at my basckside. I didnt even see the dog so I cant see how I provoked him in any way atall.
Wasn't a big dog but he managed to take a chunk out my jeans and luckily only grazed my precious behind.
He still broke the skin and drew blood so I thought it was best to go get a Jab. Now this dog apparently has bitten another person at the same place a while ago, and isn't vicious but can be a bit scatty.

I'm not a mean person and I do like dogs nor would I wish it on anyone I know to have their dog put down so I thought I would say to the owner it was his choice as to put the dog to sleep or have it on his conscience if the dog bites someone else.
Deep down I feel that's a cop out and I should push to have the dog put too sleep as its the responsable thing to do and it may not be an adult it bites if there is a next time, but I don't really like the thought that I will be killing the dog.
I know there's a few dog owners on the boards and not owning a dog myself thought I might ask you guys what to you think?

[Edited by Krade - 2/23/2003 10:37:15 PM]
Old 23 February 2003, 10:42 PM
LB4
Scooby Regular

Thats a tough one being a dog owner myself .. i have a german sheperd.
I know what the right thing to do is, same as you i think ... the damage any size dog could do to a small child doesn`t bare thinking about ... do you know the owner? ... are they responsible and prepared to keep the dog away from people? .... if not then i think you have to take this further.
I love my dog to bits but if it actually bit someone for no good reason then i like to think i would have her put down, i don`t want a dog i couldn`t take out and let her run around off the lead when there are other people there.

LB4
Old 23 February 2003, 11:07 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

kill it
Old 23 February 2003, 11:26 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

The owner had a muzzel in the car but hadn't fitted it, he said it had bitten someone else at the club before, I'm not doing this out of spite or anything but for a dog to twice bite unproveked I think needs serious consideration before making this kind of choice.
Old 23 February 2003, 11:33 PM
steve G MAN
Scooby Regular

Hiya mate i breed AKITAS and i have two myself my mum also has two and my brother has one so we love our dogs big time.If a dog bites a person its not the dogs fault as its not been brought up proper and had the right training at the end of the day that dog is a danger there might be a time the owner forgets to put the musel on and it mauls a kid or takes a chunk out of someone elses **** so in a nut shell if i was you id have it put to sleep on the basis this is not the first time
steve
Old 23 February 2003, 11:52 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

i have 3 German Shepherds and 2 mixed breeds.(over in Greece)
wouldn't trade them for anything
Old 23 February 2003, 11:53 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hope you're okay mate.
Old 24 February 2003, 07:04 AM
The Saint
Scooby Regular

Its the owners fault, he should keep the dog under control at all times. My neibour let his collie (which was off the lead at the time) jump up on to my old mum's shoulders, where it tried to bite her. I was not there at the time, bit if it did that to me, I would be onto the police in a flash.

I have 2 dogs myself BTW. Many dog owners are highly irresponsible, and take that view that "my little fido would never hurt anyone blah blah blah".

Name em and shame em.

The Saint
Old 24 February 2003, 10:26 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Yup, its the owners fault, no doubt about that.

Doesn't make your **** any less painful to hear that, though

This particular dog clearly has a history. The owner should therefore be prosecuted for not taking the necessary precautions, not the dog.

He should also be banned from owning any animal as he is obviously not fit to do so.

What kind of dog was it?

D

(Owner of large'ish child killing pensioner scaring devil dog )

Old 24 February 2003, 10:32 AM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

Do you put down ppl who have history of unprovoked assault etc??? Best to give the owner a word. Putting the mutt down for a bite on you're **** is a bit OTT. Fair enough if the dog had ripped you to shreds. LOL

Also we don't know the full circumstances so we can't really judge.

[Edited by Popeye P1 - 2/24/2003 10:34:11 AM]