Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help**Novell login Script to login into a W2K Server

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2001, 09:48 AM
Mkhan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We use Novell 5 and I have just installed a new W2K SQL Server.

I now need some of my users to login to my SQL server so that it can map some shared drives.

I have tried to use the "NET USE" command in the login script but that doesn't work so I then tried the "MAP S:=\SQLServersharedrivename" and that doesn't work either...

Do I need to make the server a domain server instead of being part of the workgroup and then make the Workstations login to that domain?? I didn't really want to make it a domain server. But I guess thats the only way.

Thanks in advance
Mark
Old 06 August 2001, 03:39 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Try using the ip address rather than the name
Old 06 August 2001, 03:43 PM
Mkhan
Scooby Regular

Thanks I will try that later...

Mark
Old 06 August 2001, 04:25 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

You don't say why NET USE doesn't work but...
It may be a permissions thing, are you using /USER:SQLServerusername on the end of the NET USE command? where username is a valid user on that non-domain server.

Oh and most SQL server guys prefer not to have shares mapped on the SQL server...
Old 06 August 2001, 04:30 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Hi Mark,

As far as I'm aware the NET USE commands won't work from a Novell Login script - certainly didn't the last time I tried with NW5.1 and Client32 4.8.

What clients do you have? NT, 95/98, etc.?

If you have NT workstations, then the client will authenticate you onto the NetWare box first, then either into the NT domain (if you have one) OR the local workstation (so you'll need an account there).

For 95/98 it's more or less the same situation, but as 95/98 isn't secure then you can usually bypass the 2nd login prompt.

Either way, the local OS will pass the NetWare username/password combo onto the subsequent logins.

They way I've worked it in the past, is to have seperate login scripts - one for NetWare and the other for NT.

Never tried using the MAP command to connect to an NT server, but I don't think it'll work. Anyway, your using the wrong syntax. Since NetWare uses server names and volumes, not sharenames, it should be something like:-

MAP S:=<server>/<sharename>:

e.g.

MAP S:=SQLServer/sharename:

How many users need the NT share?

Call me on (01506) 836202 or by e-mail on sostadal@rdf-consulting.co.uk if you need any help.

Cheers,

Stefan
Old 06 August 2001, 04:38 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark,

Check out http://support.novell.de/cgi-bin/sea...yte_count=7580

It explains in a bit more details why it may or may not work from a NW login script.

Stefan

[This message has been edited by ozzy (edited 06 August 2001).]
Old 06 August 2001, 04:41 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Better still goto
Old 06 August 2001, 05:18 PM
Mkhan
Scooby Regular

Nice one thank you ...

I will look tonight... I am on a Net Tech course today and it is very boring....

my users are all using NT4 and they all have accounts on their local machines plus I have setup their same usernames and passwords on the W2K server.

I can manually map the drives so that they reconnect when the users login but if the users logs in from other machine (which they sometimes do) they lose there mapping which is why I wanted to write it into the Novell login script.

They are not sharing the SQL side they are sharing some of the accounting data that is on the server so I have a shared drive called "sun system data" and another called "Treasury data" The server name is SQLServer so in my script I used Map S:=\SQLSERVER reasury data or should I use Map S:=SQLSERVER/Treasury data
Old 06 August 2001, 06:14 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hi Mark,

The Novell Map command doesn't recognise UNC formats so \SQLserver won't work - it doesn't like the \ to start with.

If you have shares on the server called:-

\SQLserversun system data
\SQLserver reasury data

then I would run a map commands:-

MAP S:=SQLServer/sun system data:
MAP T:=SQLServer/treasury data:

Problem is the MAP command doesn't like spaces or long volumes names like "sun system data". The MAP command syntax needs to refer to a servername, then a volume name. since NT doesn't use volume names, but share names, then you need to try to substitue the volumename for the sharename when mapping onto an NT system. But as I've already said, I can't see this working.

Your best bet is to use the #NET USE commands as mentioned in the Novell TID (Technical Information Document).

With NT, you can'd avoid logging into the local workstation, either with a local account or as a domain user (the workstations needs to be a member of the domain).

It's a real pain in the @**** to manage multiple accounts on all your workstations and again on the NT server and finally on the Netware box, so my advice would be to set-up a domain to at least cut-down on the amount of accounts.

You could also use the Dynamic Local User feature with NetWare (you need the Zenworks starter pack and the latest clients, but these should come on the Client CD). This creates a local account when the user logs in, then removes it when they logout - in affect the NetWare client is dynamically creating local account for you. At least it would cut down on managing the local accounts, but you'd still need seperate accounts on the NT server - as this is just like another workstation if no domains are configured.

If you really want to integrate them, then you need Corporate NDS (or whatever name it's going under now). This allows you to manage accounts on the NT Domain through the NDS Manager, but that sounds overkill for what you're looking for.

You can e-mail me offline tonight at stefan.ostadal@blueyonder.co.uk if you need any more info.

Cheers,

Stefan
Old 07 August 2001, 12:31 AM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

How about writing a batch file that maps the drives required...

All you need to do then is get the novell login processor to spawn a cmd process to run the batch file....

Klunky, but works.
Old 07 August 2001, 10:20 AM
Mkhan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hey thanks Stefan for all your help.. yeah your right I think that I will have to go down the Domain route and sync the passwords.

BTW you say

snip>

The Novell Map command doesn't recognise UNC formats so \SQLserver won't work - it doesn't like the \ to start with.
end.

I use the UNC command in my user login script to log into my second Novell server and it works fine. I have always mapped to my second server that way thats why I thought that it would work to map to W2K..

Mark
Old 07 August 2001, 03:22 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Good news Mark.

I must admit to having never tried the UNC method recently. They must have added support to the MAP.EXE shipped with NW5 or possibly it's the new Client32 that gives it the support. I wish it worked when I spent so much time supporting NetWare 3 and 4.

Haven't touched NetWare in at least 8 months now that I'm based at an NT-only site, so I'm just glad I could help in someway.

Cheers,
Stefan
Old 07 August 2001, 04:28 PM
Mkhan
Scooby Regular

Hey Stefan

I may still be coming to you for some help as this is the first time installing and running an W2K server with SQL and I may need a bit of help.... coming from a Novell background this Microsoft lark is a BIT different

My brain is buzzing at the moment I am in a class learning Subnetting and SuperSubNetting damn I have 0000's and 1111's coming out of my ****....

001 00000
010 00000
011 00000
etc
Grrrrrrrrrrrr GET ME OUT OF HERE
Old 07 August 2001, 10:29 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Just out of interest if you use netware nds for your user accounts, I assume you are using the w2k box just for sql?

So could you not use sql server security instead of the w2k domain / ad security??

Or have they removed this in sql 2k??

David
Old 09 August 2001, 02:07 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mark,

It only gets better

David,

Haven't much experience with SQL, but you could connect to it directly and avoid the W2K security. Trouble is Mark needs to map drives and to do this you need to authenticate to the server using either local users, the domain model or the new active directory.

NetWare's NDS doesn't avoid this, it just makes it more transparent and user-friendly by giving you a single point of admin for managing user accounts/passwords.

Their Corporate NDS products runs on a lot of platforms; NT, Unix, NetWare, etc., but it doesn't avoid any of these Operating Systems built-in security features - it just puts a front-end to the login process. So, you could create a user account in NDS and the user would be automatically created on a Linux or NT server. Likewise changing password, granting file permissions could be done through NDS and it would automatically update the other servers.

I used it a lot with Novell/Citrix integration and it's the dogs danglies

Stefan